English Title Card
|Created by||Jeremy Padawer
|Developed by||Man of Action
|Directed by||Yoshiaki Okumura|
|Voices of||Cam Clarke
Christopher Corey Smith
|Opening theme||"Monsuno" by Far East Movement (1–26) 
"Combat Chaos" by SoulJa (27–52)
"エターナル・トラベラー" by Rey (Japanese) (1–26)
"誓い" by Rey (Japanese) (27–52)
|Ending theme||"ジャンプ アップ" by SV TRIBE (1–26)
"愛のしるし by Rey (27–52)
|Country of origin||United States, Japan|
|Original language(s)||English, Japanese|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||52 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Stephen Berman
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Jakks Pacific
Dentsu Entertainment Inc.
The Topps Company
|Distributor||FremantleMedia North America|
|Original channel||Nicktoons (USA)
Nicktoons, CITV (UK)
Nickelodeon and K2 (Italy)
TV Tokyo (Japan)
|Original release||February 23, 2012 – April 26, 2015|
Monsuno, released as Jūsen Battle Monsuno (Japanese: 獣旋バトル モンスーノ Hepburn: Jūsen Batoru Monsūno?) in Japan, is a Japanese-American animated series that premiered in the United States on February 23, 2012 on Nickelodeon's sister channel, Nicktoons and began airing on TV Tokyo in Japan in October 2012, with global launches staggered by country sometime between summer 2012 and spring 2013 through Nickelodeon. The series was created by Jeremy Padawer and Jared Wolfson. It is distributed by FremantleMedia and is produced by Dentsu Entertainment USA, FremantleMedia, Jakks Pacific, and The Topps Company.
- 1 Synopsis
- 2 Characters
- 3 Episodes
- 4 Production
- 5 Home media
- 6 Other media
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Season 1 - Monsuno: World Master
The show revolves around "re-awakened ANIMAL DNA called Monsuno" that finds its way into the unsuspecting hands of adventure-seeking teenagers Chase, Jinja, and Bren. Accompanied by their Monsuno, Lock, Charger, and Quickforce, they are searching for Chase's father Jeredy Suno, the creator of the Monsuno. They are soon joined by Beyal, a monk from the Himalayas along with his Monsuno Glowblade. Beyal often speaks of five people that with the help of their Monsuno, could change the world. It just so happens that they are that five, along with Dax, a teenager who along with his Monsuno Airswitch, opposes the team and is disliked among most people. The team has yet to befriend him and persuade him to join their cause. They are also on the run from a H.A.M.M.E.R.-type agency called "S.T.O.R.M." (Strategic Tactical Operatives for Recovery of Monsuno) whose plans are still in question and Dr. Emanuel Klipse, a malevolent scientist who has his own nefarious plans.
The characters are accompanied by Monsuno (giant high-tech and/or armored hybrid ANIMAL of one or more animal species), which are contained in cylinder regeneration chamber capsules known as "cores".
- Chase Suno (チェイス・スーノ Cheisu Sūno?) (voiced by KENN in the Japanese dub, Cam Clarke in the original English) - One of the main protagonists. A brave and adventurous boy, Chase is the leader of Team Core-Tech. In First Season "World Masters," Chase engages on a journey to find his father Jeredy Suno, a research scientist who disappeared while experimenting with the mysterious power source called Monsuno Essence which brought him into conflict with both the corrupt government agency S.T.O.R.M. and the rouge scientist Dr Klipse. In the Second Season "Combat Chaos" Chase is repeatedly having visions of this mother Sophia who was believed to be deceased which leaves him to confront The Hand of Destiny which might have a hand at Sophia's disappearance.
- Lock (ロック Rokku?) - Chase's first partner. He is a hybrid of a polar bear, a gorilla, and a tiger. He was later combined with Evo to form Lock 2.0.
- Evo (イーボ Ībo?) - One of Chase's ANIMAL. He is a hybrid of a condor and a swan. He was later combined with Lock to form Lock 2.0.
- Nitestone - One of Chase's ANIMAL. He is a hybrid of a jackal and a panther. Nightstone was renamed Nightjackel (ナイトジャッカル Naitojakkaru?) in the Japanese version.
- Babbeon - One of Chase's ANIMAL. She is a hybrid of a mandrill and a rat.
- Deep-six - one of Chase's new monsuno in season 2. This monsuno is a hybrid of a shark and a wolf.
- Batteram - another of Chase's new monsuno for season 2. He resembles a ram.
- Bren (ブレン Buren?) (voiced by Chihiro Suzuki in the Japanese dub, Christopher Corey Smith in the original English) - One of the main protagonists. A timid but inquisitive boy whose an adept computer programer and hacker. Bren is one of Chase's closes friends and is usually the one to master or decode any piece of Technology or Monsuno Equipment that Team Core-Tech comes across. Bren has a bit of a playfully antagonistic relationship with Jinja.
- Quickforce (クイックフォース Kuikkufōsu?) - One of Bren's ANIMAL. He is a hybrid of an antelope and a raven that resembles a hippogriff. In the Season 2 Premiere Quickforce was destroyed by a wild core bomb.
- Longfang (ロングファング Rongufangu?) - One of Bren's ANIMAL. He is a hybrid of a sabertooth tiger with mineral diamond.
- Shellshot - One of Bren's monsters. He has a chelonian appearance.
- Neo-Quickforce - One of Bren's new monsters in season 2 to replace Quickforce. While his general appearance is the same as Quickforce's, he has different abilities.
- Jinja (ジンジャ?) (voiced by Asami Tano in the Japanese dub, Karen Strassman in the original English) - One of the main protagonists, renamed Vicky (ビッキー Bikkī?) in the Japanese version. Jinja is the self-proclaimed "sassy" and genuinely outspoken tomboy member of Team Core-Tech whose often the first one into battle. Jinja is a strong supporter to Chase in his journeys and is known to playfully tease Bren on occasion. Jinja might posses an attraction with Dax even though she might not admit it aloud.
- Beyal (voiced by Sachi Kokuryu in the Japanese dub, Kirk Thornton in the original English) - A supporting protagonist. He was renamed Noah (ノア Noa?) in the Japanese version. An introspective and spiritual young man, Beyal was introduced in the episode "Knowledge" as a monk who possesses "The Monsuno Sight" ; A special ability that allows one to see into the future. Beyal aided Chase, Bren, and Jinja escape from The Booksman's evil clutches and joined Team Core-Tech afterwards.
- Glowblade (グローブレイド Gurōbureido?) - One of Beyal's ANIMAL. He is a hybrid of a three-headed snake and a spider.
- Arachnablade - One of Beyal's ANIMAL. He is a hybrid of a spider and a scorpion. He was renamed Axeblade (アックスブレイド Akkusubureido?) in the Japanese version.
- Mysticblade - One of Beyal's monsters in season 2. He is a hybrid of a wolf, a boa constrictor and an eagle. He resembles the mythical Aztec creature Quetzalcoatl.
- Dax (voiced by Hiroshi Shimozaki in the Japanese dub, Keith Silverstein in the original English) - A cocky young drifter that joined Team Core-Tech in the episode R.S.P.V Dax has a mysterious past that might tie into Dr Klipse illegal Monsuno research. In the original English version, he has a bit of an Australian accent. Renamed Ash (アッシュ Asshu?) in the Japanese version.
- Airswitch (エアスイッチ Easuitchi?) - One of Dax's ANIMAL. He is a hybrid of a hawk, a vulture and a lizard.
- Boost - One of Dax's ANIMAL. He is a hybrid of a wolf and a wildcat. He was renamed Boostsaber (ブーストサーベル Būsutosāberu?) in the Japanese version.
- Bioblaze (バイオブレイズ Baiobureizu?) - One of Dax's ANIMAL. He is a hybrid of a centipede and a dragonfly.
- Clubber - One of Dax's ANIMAL in season 2. He is a hybrid of a bull and an ankylosaurus.
- Commandant Marshall Charlemagne (シャルルマーニュ Sharurumānyu?) (voiced by Aki Kanada in the Japanese dub, Karen Strassman in the original English) - The stern and ruthless head of S.T.O.R.M. agency. She was behind Master Ey's death in season two.
- Driftblade - One of Charlemagne's ANIMAL. It resembles an armored lion. It was renamed Kingblade (キングブレイド Kingubureido?) in the Japanese version. Driftblade was later combined with Blackbullet to form Driftblade 2.0.
- Commander Trey (トレイ Torei?) (voiced by Yoshihito Sasaki in the Japanese dub, Keith Silverstein in the original English) - S.T.O.R.M.'s second-in-command general.
- Riccoshot - One of Trey's ANIMAL. It resembles an armored Hercules beetle. It was renamed Heavypanzer (ヘビーパンツァー Hebīpantsā?) in the Japanese version.
- Clipper - One of Trey's ANIMAL.It resembles a hybrid of an equipped hen.
- Bayonet - One of Trey's ANIMAL.
- Venomeleon - One of Trey's ANIMAL. It resembles an armored chameleon.
- Airchopper - one of Trey's ANIMAL. it resembles a bird
- Jon Ace (ジョン・エース Jon Ēsu?) (voiced by Daisuke Matsuoka in the Japanese version, Christopher Corey Smith in the English dub) - Jeredy's assistant. After he had been captured by Eklipse, he was turned into a Half-Monsuno creature called Toxic Ace. He returns to human form late into season 2, and at the end, becomes the new head of S.T.O.R.M.
- Blackbullet - One of Ace's ANIMAL. He is a hybrid of a falcon and a crow. He was renamed Sonicbird (ソニックバード Sonikkubādo?) in the Japanese version. Later used by Charlemagne who combined him with Driftblade to form Driftblade 2.0.
- Goldhorn (ゴールドホーン Gōrudohōn?) - One of Ace's ANIMAL. She is a hybrid of a wild boar and a rabbit. Later used by Trey.
- Captain (voiced by Christopher Corey Smith in the English dub) - A high-ranking agent of S.T.O.R.M. After Captain's Monsuno were defeated by Bren's Longfang, Charlemagne demoted him to lieutenant.
- Hydro - One of Captain's ANIMAL. It has the head of a hammerhead shark and the body of an unknown animal. Later used by the S.T.O.R.M. Elite.
- S.T.O.R.M. Soldiers - The foot soldiers of S.T.O.R.M.
- S.T.O.R.M. Elite - The elite agents of S.T.O.R.M. who are skilled in the use of monsuno.
- Crossbolt - One of the S.T.O.R.M. Elite's ANIMAL. It looks like an armored wildebeast with enormous tusks.
- Skysite - One of the S.T.O.R.M. Elite's ANIMAL. It is a four-headed serpentine monsuno with saw-like wings that spin in a circle. From below, it looks like an UFO.
- S.T.O.R.M. Strike Squad (ストライクフォース) - An agency created by Commandant Marshall Charlemagne with teenagers.
- STORM specialist Alpha (アルファ) (voiced by Cam Clarke in the English dub) - Counterpart of Chase Suno. He possesses the Monsuno sight, but is seemingly unaware of this.
- Tripwire - One of S.T.O.R.M. Strike Squad's ANIMAL.
- X-Ray(エックスレイ) (voiced by Christopher Corey Smith in the English dub) - Counterpart of Bren. He possesses the Monsuno sight, but he does not seem to have noticed.
- Blockade - One of S.T.O.R.M. Strike Squad's ANIMAL.
- Tango (タンゴ) (voiced by Karen Strassman in the English dub) - Counterpart of Jinja. She possesses the Monsuno sight, but like Alpha and X-Ray, does not seem to have considered this.
- Ironjaw - One of S.T.O.R.M Strike Squad's ANIMAL.
- Kilo (ブラボー) (voiced by Kirk Thornton in the English dub) - Counterpart of Beyal.
- Warwing - One of S.T.O.R.M Strike Squad's ANIMAL.
- Bravo (voiced by Keith Silverstein in the English dub) - Counterpart of Dax.
- Deadfall - One of S.T.O.R.M. Strike Squad's ANIMAL.
- STORM specialist Alpha (アルファ) (voiced by Cam Clarke in the English dub) - Counterpart of Chase Suno. He possesses the Monsuno sight, but is seemingly unaware of this.
- Dr. Emmanuel Klipse (エマニュエル・クリプス博士 Emanyueru Kuripusu Hakase?) (voiced by Masami Iwasaki in the Japanese version, Cam Clarke in the English dub) - A former member of S.T.O.R.M. who is the primary antagonist of "Monsuno: World Masters." A brilliant but amoral scientist who was a former partner of Dr Jeredy Suno on Monsuno Essence. Dr. Klipse is determined to capture Chase and his Monsuno Lock whom he believes could be “the linchpin” in his master plans. Dr Klipse is also the creator of The Monsuno Fighting Underground and DarkSpin, a ruthless group of mercenaries.
- Hargrave (ハーグレイヴ Hāgureivu?) (voiced by Kirk Thornton in the English dub) - Klipse's loyal butler. He has the Monsuno sight, but has not realised this, which is why he suddenly collapses in season 2's finale.
- Shadowhornet (シャドーホーネット Shadōhōnetto?) - One of Hargrave's ANIMAL. It is a hybrid of a bat and a scorpion. Later combined with Backslash to form Backslash 2.0.
- Firewasp - One of Hargrave's ANIMAL. It is a hybrid of a tarantula and a wasp. It was renamed Flamechopper (フレイムチョッパー Fureimuchoppā?) in the Japanese version.
- TwinstingOne of Hargrave's ANIMAL. It resembles a hybrid of a spider with two scorpion tails.
- Dom Pyro (voiced by Keith Ferguson in the English dub) - A mercenary and demented collector of rare antiques who possesses Monsuno visions and is hunting Chase Suno and his friends to add in his collection.
- Number Six (ナンバー・シックス) (voiced by Keith Silverstein in the English dub) - The sixth clone of Dr. Emmanuel Klipse.
The Darkspin Gang are a group of mercenaries who have worked for Eklipse and S.T.O.R.M. Among its members are:
- Medea (メディーア Medīa?) (voiced by Karen Strassman in the English dub) - The beautiful yet wicked leader of the Darkspin Gang and one of Klipse's spies sent to hunt down Chase Suno. Medea is undeniably cunning yet dangerously unstable, and commands absolute loyalty from her subordinates. Medea is obsessed with Chase and forcing him to engage her in the perfect Monsuno battle.
- Poisonwing - One of Medea's ANIMAL. It is a hybrid of a dragonfly and a spitting cobra. It was renamed Wingviper (ウィングバイパー Wingubaipā?) in the Japanese version.
- Toxiclaw - One of Medea's ANIMAL. It resembles a hybrid of a mantis and a beetle.
- Dragonwolf- One of Medea's ANIMAL. It resembles a hybrid of a dragon and a wolf.
- Argius/Arg (voiced by Keith Silverstein in the English dub) - Arg is the oversized member of the Darkspin Gang. He was renamed Ghoul (グール Gūru?) in the Japanese version.
- Latinus/Lat (voiced by Keith Silverstein in the English dub) - Latinus is a member of the Darkspin Gang. He was renamed Fox (フォックス Fokkusu?) in the Japanese version.
- Telegonus/Tel (voiced by Christopher Corey Smith in the English dub) - Telegonus is a member of the Darkspin Gang with street fighter tendencies. He was renamed Alan (アラン Aran?) in the Japanese version.
These characters run an arena called the Underground:
- Grandma Future (フューチャー婆さん Fyūchā Bāsan?) (voiced by Karen Strassman in the English dub) - Mr. Black's mother and the self-proclaimed fortune teller of Axistown who also controls the Underground Monsuno games.
- Mr. Black (ミスター・ブラック Misutā Burakku?) ( voiced by Christopher Corey Smith in the English dub) - The manager of the "Underground" and the son of Grandma Future.
- Righty (ライティ Raiti?) (voiced by Cam Clarke in the English dub) - Righty is one of Mr. Black's bodyguards and the twin brother of Lefty.
- Snapclaw - One of Righty's ANIMAL. It resembles an insect with claws. renamed Hunterclaw (ハンタークロー Hantākurō?) in the Japanese version.
- Lefty (レフティ Refuti?) (voiced by Cam Clarke in the English dub) - Lefty is one of Mr. Black's bodyguards and twin brother of Righty.
The Desert Wolves are a group of people who go around preaching the freedom of Monsuno. Among its members are:
- One-Eyed Jack (voiced by Kirk Thornton in the English dub) - The leader of the Desert Wolves. He was once a S.T.O.R.M. Elite because he had the power to communicate with Monsuno. Charlemagne put him with a Monsuno who broke his right leg, hand, and eye. After that, he wanted to free all the Monsuno. Renamed Joker (ジョーカー Jōkā?) in the Japanese version.
- Brother Pozzo / Geo (ジオ) (voiced by Keith Silverstein in the English dub) - The hammer-wielding member of the Desert Wolves.
- Mute Woman / Becca (ベッカ) (voiced by Karen Strassman in the English dub) - Member of the Desert Wolves. Mute Woman is the unofficial name of this female operative and is sister of Beyal,and adoptive daughter of Master Ey
- Sizzler - One of Mute Woman's ANIMAL. It resembles a three-horned rhinoceros with claw-tipped arms coming out of its shoulders.
Forge (フォージ) is a team of orange core users introduced in the second season. Its motto is "Destruction be our calling card, mayhem be our hands."
- Professor Tallis (タリス教授) (voiced by Keith Ferguson in the English dub) - The leader of Forge. He once worked for S.T.O.R.M. before leaving for unknown reasons. He has a cybernetic eye and a metal plate covering his mouth. He stutters when he speaks. After Chase thwarts his plan to destroy Westward City, he swears revenge against him.
- Shadowclaw - One of Tallis's Monsuno. It resemples a hybrid of a hawk. It is shown in episode 40 for first time.
- Drezz (ドレッズ) (voiced by Keith Silverstein in the English dub) - The leader of the Punk Monks posing as an informant for Core-Tech in episode 27.
- X-100 - One of Drezz's Monsuno. It resembles a cyborg tiger with antelope-like antlers.
- Afterburn - One of Drezz's Monsuno. It looks like a cyborg hydra with three heads.
- Tinker (ティンカー) (voiced by Christopher Corey Smith in the English dub) - A Punk Monk member.
- Throttle (スロットル) (voiced by Karen Strassman in the English dub) - A Punk Monk member.
- Ratchet (ラチェット) (voiced by Karen Strassman in the English dub) - A Punk Monk member.
- Vicegrip - Used by the Punk Monks. It is a cross between a snail, a lobster, and octopus.
- Staticjolt - Used by the Punk Monks. A cyborg cross between a wolf and a deer.
- Turbine - Used by the Punk Monks. A cyborg cross between a frilled lizard and a salamander.
- Rivetclaw- Used by the punk monks. it resembles a scorpion.
- Ripsaw - Used by the punk monks. it resembles a wasp.
Hand of Destiny
The Hand of Destiny, also known as the Five Arms (ファイブアームズ) is a team of green core users called Shapeshifter introduced in the second season.
- Petros (ペトロス) (voiced by Cam Clarke in the English dub) - Five Arms leader.
- Keeper (キーパー)
- Shape Shifter (クローンシフター) - A shapeshifting Monsuno.
- Shifter Lock (クローンロック) - A green version of Lock transformed from Shape Shifter.
- Shifter Mysticblade - A green version of Mysticblade transformed from Shape Shifter.
- Shifter Clubber - A green version of Clubber transformed from Shape Shifter.
- Jeredy Suno (ジェレディ・スーノ Jeredi Sūno?) (voiced by Keiji Fujiwara in the Japanese version, Cam Clarke in the English dub) - Chase's father. Originally a researcher working for S.T.O.R.M., he went missing before both S.T.O.R.M. and Chase Suno tried to find him. He was often abducted at the end of season 1.
- Sophia Suno (ソフィア・スーノ) (voiced by Karen Strassman in the English dub) - Chase Suno's mother. During Chase Suno's quest of finding Jeredy Suno, she appeared in Chase's vision. She is the damsel in distress in season two, as it is implied the Hand of Destiny kidnapped her over 10 years ago, and that she had transported Beyal to Chase's side during the episode "Insight".
- The Bookman (ベクター卿) ( voiced by Christopher Corey Smith in the English dub) - The Bookman is the Bookkeeper for the monks at the Library of Tebab who wants to control an army of monsuno to conquer the world.
- Dawnmaster (ドーンマスター Dōnmasutā?) (voiced Kirk Thornton in the English dub) - A professional thief and an ally of Core-Tech. Helped to change all the books in the library to master Ey.
- Master Ey (マスター・エイ Masutā Ei?) (voiced by Keith Silverstein in the English dub) - Beyal's spiritual mentor and head monk of Tebab. He is killed in Season two when Charlemagne takes control of Jack's mind.
- Digby Droog (ドルーグ Dorūgu?) (voiced Kirk Thornton in the English dub) - A mysterious character who appears halfway through season one. His generous hospitality for Team Core-Tech is a welcome treat which Bren is more than happy to oblige. Unbeknownst to the kids, he harbors an undying resentment for the Monsunos, and seeing they were not destroyed at the end of season 1, he becomes a villain during season 2, with the sole goal of activating Jeredy's failsafe device, fulfilling his vendetta.
- Chef Syd (シド) - A merchant. He has the Monsuno sight, but is not aware of this.
- Tendrils - A giant mutant plant from episode 29.
- Kimi (キミ) (voiced by Karen Strassman in the English dub) - A 12-year-old girl following Dawnmaster.
The series premiered on February 23, 2012 with the first two episodes "Clash" and "Courage" as a back-to-back one hour special.
Although the series had been aired in North America, and across the world, the Japanese version of the series was delayed. Earlier, it was reported that Monsuno was being produced for TV Tokyo on Fremantle Media Kids' website, though was later changed to reflect that the show had begun airing across the world, including in the US. Later on June 14, 2012, it was announced that Japan would get the series, starting in October 2012 at the Bandai booth for the Tokyo Toy Show. Here, it was announced the show would air under the name, Juusen Battle Monsuno and that the toyline would hit Japan in September 2012. Later that same month, it was announced through the launch of TV Tokyo's website and various other outlets, that Monsuno would indeed air on the TV Tokyo Network in October, on an unspecified date. Here the cast and staff were announced, as well as the renaming of certain characters and that the Japanese version would retain the same soundtrack as the English version.
Chase Suno, retaining his name in the Japanese version, would be voiced by KENN, a well known actor and singer in Japan who had previously done the voice of Judai from Yu-Gi-Oh! GX and Jil from The Tower of Druaga. Bren and most of the S.T.O.R.M. and Eklipse characters, would retain their original names, however, most of the Core-Tech cast would be renamed. Jinja was renamed Vicky, Beyal to Noah, and Dax to Ash. In a tweet response to when someone asked about the name changes, co-creator Jared Wolfson responded on Twitter, saying "Names were slightly altered in order to better suit the Japanese market". 
The series premiered on October 3, 2012 at 6:00 pm JST on six TXN-affiliated TV stations and ran new episodes on Wednesday evenings in that timeslot until the series finale on September 25, 2013.
After a special spin-off series of Inazuma Eleven GO!, which aired on Tuesday mornings at 7:30 am JST, was canceled due to low ratings, reruns of the first 13 episodes were broadcast in its place between January 2, 2013 and March 26, 2013, when they were taken off the schedule to make room for a Japanese dub of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.
Jakks Pacific owns exclusive worldwide rights to manufacture Monsuno's toy products. Jakks Pacific is distributing directly in the United States and Canada. Bandai will be the distribution partner in Japan; Giochi Preziosi will distribute in Europe. In Australia and New Zealand, Banter Toys & Collectibles will be the distribution partner.
Trading card game
The series' world premiere aired on USA on February 23, 2012. Then, it aired on Italy on April 23, 2012 and on Latin America on May 5, 2012. It also aired on September 10, 2012 on Greece. It is distributed worldwide by FremantleMedia Enterprises since it was distributed in the United States by FremantleMedia North America.
- Monsuno premieres this Saturday on YTV
- U.S. Nicktoons to Air Monsuno, Jakks Pacific to Sell Toys
- Monsuno To Hit Nicktoons
- Monsuno - Anime - Animekon
- "Clash". www.bcdb.com February 6, 2010
- Jinja / Medea Production Art - It should be noted that Jinja was originally used as her name in the production art, later getting changed to Vicky for the Japanese release. As a result, there are two different renderings of her name.
- Jakks, Dentsu Develop Japanese-Animated Monsuno for TV
- Official website
- (Japanese) Official Japanese Site at Bandai
- (Japanese) TV Tokyo's Monsuno Website
- Monsuno at the Internet Movie Database
- Monsuno at the Big Cartoon DataBase
- Monsuno (anime) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia