Montagu Private Equity

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Montagu Private Equity
Industry Private Equity
Founded 1968
Headquarters London, England
Products Leveraged buyout, Management buyout
Total assets $4 billion[1]

Montagu Private Equity (formerly HSBC Private Equity[2]) is a European private equity firm with headquarters in London. Founded in 1968, in 2017 it was reported to have over €4 billion of fund assets under management.[1] It has invested in over 400 businesses over the last four decades. Montagu also has offices in London, Düsseldorf, Manchester, Paris and Warsaw.


The firm was founded in 1968 as a division of Midland Bank after Midland's acquisition of Montague Trust, owner of Samuel Montagu & Co..[3] HSBC revived the Montagu name in 2003 after acquiring Midland Bank in 1992.[4] MLLP Holdings, indirectly owned by Montagu's management team, acquired 80.1% of Montagu shares in 2003, and in 2013, purchased the remaining 19.9% from HSBC.[5][6]


The primary investment focus of Montagu is on management buyouts of companies that operate in stable markets with transaction values ranging from €100 million to €1 billion. Montagu does not have target industry sectors, instead it looks for “businesses offering products or services that are differentiated and would otherwise be badly missed”.

In 2013 portfolio companies include legal education training business The University of Law, healthy spreads manufacturer St. Hubert and internet hosting company Host Europe.[7]

Previous investments include airfield lighting business ADB, survival suit manufacturer Hansen Protection, hair products manufacturer GHD, medical products provider BSN Medical and Marlow Foods, the owner of the Quorn brand.[8]

In September 2015, Montagu Private Equity held a final close of its fifth fund, amassing £2.75 billion.[9]

In November 2017, the firm completed the purchase of the Sheffield based company Servelec Group for £223.9m which entails Servelec Health and Social Care (known for: EPR, PAS, RiO, Oceano, Flow;), Servelec Technologies (SCADA) and Servelec Controls (Mission critical).[10]


  1. ^ a b James, Max (24 March 2017). "Private Equity Company buys Historic Scuba Kit Manufacturers". Dive Magazine. Retrieved 7 February 2018. 
  2. ^ Porter, Kiel (2012-04-12). "Can a name change boost the bottom line?". Financial News. Retrieved 2014-10-08. 
  3. ^ "From Bradford dog track to Hong Kong pensions". Financial Times. 31 March 2015. Retrieved 9 February 2018. 
  4. ^ Keers, Helena (19 March 2003). "HSBC buyout team revives Montagu name". Telegraph. Retrieved 9 February 2018. 
  5. ^ "HSBC spins off Asia private equity arm". Financial Times. 1 December 2010. 
  6. ^ "HSBC Bank To Sell 19.9% Stake In Montagu Private Equity To MLLP Holdings". RTT News. 5 April 2012. Retrieved 9 February 2018. 
  7. ^ "Oakley Agrees Sale of Host Europe". Financial Times. Retrieved 15 July 2013. 
  8. ^ Tran, Mark (6 June 2005). "Guardian". Premier Foods snaps up Quorn. London: Guardian Media. Retrieved 15 July 2013. 
  9. ^ "Real Deals". Caspian Media. 1 September 2015. 
  10. ^ Hammond, Joshua (23 November 2017). "Listed Tech Firm to be Taken Private in £223.9M Deal". Insider Media. Retrieved 9 February 2018.