Montauk Point State Park
|Montauk Point State Park|
Sunrise over the Montauk Point Light in December 2005.
|Location||2000 Montauk Highway
Montauk, New York
|Nearest city||Montauk, New York|
|Operated by||New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation|
|Visitors||816,970 (in 2014)|
|Website||Montauk Point State Park|
Montauk Point State Park is located in the hamlet of Montauk, at the eastern tip of Long Island in the Town of East Hampton, Suffolk County, New York. Montauk Point is the easternmost extremity of the South Fork of Long Island, and thus also of New York State.
The park contains the Montauk Point Light, which was authorized by the Second Congress, under President George Washington in 1792. Construction began on June 7, 1796 and was completed on November 5, 1796. The lighthouse and adjacent Camp Hero were heavily fortified with huge guns during World War I and World War II. Those gun emplacements and concrete observation bunkers (which are also at nearby Shadmoor State Park and Camp Hero State Park) are still visible.
The Amistad, a Spanish ship taken over by slaves in 1839 was captured by the USS Washington near here. The slaves were allowed to briefly disembark here before being reimprisoned and taken to New London, Connecticut for trial. The Amistad case went before the Supreme Court of the United States. John Quincy Adams successfully argued that the slaves had been kidnapped and they were permitted to return to Africa. The case fanned the debate over abolition of slavery.
Montauk Point State Park features picnic tables, a food concession, playground, fishing, seasonal hunting, and trails for hiking and cross-country skiing.
- NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. "Montauk Point State Park - Getting There". Parks.ny.gov. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- "State Park Annual Attendance Figures by Facility: Beginning 2003". Data.ny.gov. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- NYS Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation. "Montauk Point State Park". Parks.ny.gov. Retrieved August 6, 2015.
- New York State Parks: Montauk Point State Park
- National Park Service List of New York Lighthouses