Monte Tamaro is a mountain of the Lugano Prealps, overlooking Lake Maggiore in the Swiss canton of Ticino. Reaching a height of 1,962 metres above sea level, it is the highest summit of the chain located between Lake Maggiore and Lake Lugano, which also includes Monte Lema. It is also the most prominent summit of the canton.
According to the SOIUSA (International Standardized Mountain Subdivision of the Alps) the mountain can be classified in the following way:
- main part = Western Alps
- major sector = North Western Alps
- section = Lugano Prealps
- subsection = Prealpi Varesine
- supergroup = Catena Tamaro-Gambarogno-Lema
- group = Gruppo del Tamaro
- subgroup = Massiccio del Tamaro
- code = I/B-11.II-A.1.a
Panorama from the summit of Monte Tamaro.