Monte Vista High School (Danville, California)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Monte Vista High School|
|3131 Stone Valley Road
Danville, California 94526
|School district||San Ramon Valley Unified School District|
|Principal||Dr. Kevin Ahern|
|Color(s)||Red and black|
|Athletics conference||East Bay Athletic League|
Monte Vista High School is a comprehensive public high school located in Danville, California, United States. It is a National Blue Ribbon school, as well as a California Distinguished School. It is fully WASC accredited. The school is located in the San Ramon Valley, approximately 35 miles east of San Francisco, and is part of the San Ramon Valley Unified School District. It serves around 2274 students from grades 9–12. The principal is Kevin Ahern. Its primary sports rival is San Ramon Valley High School. The school mascot is a Mustang.
The school is fully WASC accredited and offers college preparatory courses that are University of California A-G certified. In 2014, the school offered 23 Advanced Placement courses and 7 honors courses. The school also offers courses through the California Association of Regional Occupational Centers and Programs.
The Monte Vista Mustangs compete in the East Bay Athletic League (EBAL) of the CIF North Coast Section (NCS). In 2014, the Monte Vista varsity boys' basketball team, led by head coach Nick Jones, set numerous school records. After winning the EBAL and NCS titles, the Mustangs defeated Corona's Centennial High School 66-55 to win the California Division 1 state championship. This was the first state championship in the school's history and the first for a Contra Costa County public school since Walnut Creek's Northgate High School won the Division III boys' basketball state championship in 1995. The 2013-2014 boys' basketball team finished the season 32-1, and were ranked ninth in the nation and second in the state of California, according to MaxPreps.
- Mark Appel (Class of 2009), baseball pitcher, first overall pick by the Houston Astros in the 2013 Major League Baseball draft
- Leroy Chiao (Class of 1978), astronaut
- Mike Crudale (Class of 1995), pro baseball player, St. Louis Cardinals and San Francisco Giants
- Taylor Dent (Class of 1999), tennis player
- Zach Ertz (Class of 2009), NFL tight end; currently plays for the Philadelphia Eagles; consensus All-American selection in 2012 at Stanford University; drafted with the 35th overall pick of the 2013 NFL Draft
- Tim Kang (Class of 1991), actor
- Casey Merrill (Class of 1975), former NFL defensive endj played for Green Bay Packers, New York Giants, and New Orleans Saints
- Bob Myers (Class of c. 1992), General Manager of the Golden State Warriors; played collegiate basketball for UCLA, previously a sports agent at Wasserman Media Group
- John Patitucci (Class of 1977), jazz musician and double bassist
- Chuck Prophet (Class of 1981), singer, guitarist, songwriter
- Adam Schiff (Class of 1978), Member of the US House of Representatives from California's 28th district
- Greg Sestero (Class of 1995), actor
- Jessica Steffens (Class of 2005), 2008 Olympic women's water polo silver medalist, 2012 Olympic women's water polo gold medalist
- Maggie Steffens (Class of 2012), 2012 and 2016 Olympic women's water polo gold medalist; tied Olympic record with seven goals in a game in 2012
- Christy Turlington (Class of 1987; did not graduate), model
- Bree Turner (Class of 1995), actress
- Nicholas Vasallo (Class of 1997), composer
- Joey Wagman (Class of 2009), baseball player
- Ryan Whalen (Class of 2007), NFL wide receiver
- Kevin Woo, member of South Korean idol boygroup U-Kiss
- David Zuckerman (Class of 1980), television producer and writer for Family Guy and American Dad
- "GNIS Detail - Monte Vista High School". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. 19 January 1981. Retrieved 20 March 2010.
- Monte Vista High School - Danville, California/CA - Public School Review
- Monte Vista High School
- Monte Vista High School
- Monte Vista boys win state basketball championship – East Bay Times
- Schedule - Monte Vista Mustangs 2013-14 Basketball (Danville, CA)
- Who's Who - Christy Turlington. Vogue.co.uk. Retrieved 2008-02-15. Archived October 11, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- U-KISS official website U-KISS Korea.
|San Ramon Valley Unified School District|