Monte Vista High School (Spring Valley, California)
|Monte Vista High School|
|3230 Sweetwater Springs Blvd.
Spring Valley, California
|Type||Public comprehensive secondary|
|Motto||This is Monarch Territory|
|School district||Grossmont Union High School District|
|Color(s)||Crimson and gold|
|Accreditation||Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)|
|Website||Monte Vista High School|
Monte Vista High School is public, comprehensive high school located in Spring Valley, California, and serves 1,960 students in grades nine through twelve. Opened in 1961, Monte Vista is the seventh of twelve high schools built in the Grossmont Union High School District.
Monte Vista High School has been ranked among the top 6000 schools in the nation, coming in at #1147, due in part to its excellent record for AP testing and its steadily increasing Annual Performance Index. Monte Vista has one of the best AP programs in the Grossmont Union District.
Monte Vista's student body is composed of pupils from the following ethic backgrounds (2011-2012 school year):
- White (not Hispanic) - 25%
- Hispanic or Latino - 52%
- African American - 10%
- Asian - 1%
- Filipino or Pacific Islander - 5%
- American Indian or Alaska Native - 1%
- Multiple or No Response - 1%
Monte Vista's athletic teams, the Monarchs, compete in the South League of the Grossmont Conference and the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF) San Diego Section.
Monte Vista's marching band, the Monarch Brigade is an award-winning parade and concert band that has also received accolades for its colorguard, as well as having its students included in the state Honor Band. The band's students received nearly unanimous superior ratings at the Grossmont instrumental solo competition, and unanimous superiors at the 2011 band festival. Monte Vista's drama program puts forward three shows per year—one entirely student-directed—and its students have been honored at local thespian competitions for their solo and ensemble performances. Monte Vista's dance program is under the direction of Loree Atkins(Trim), and puts forward two sold-out performances each spring. Monte Vista's choir program competes in several festivals in southern California and consistently places in the top three in their division, receiving unanimous superiors and 1st place at the 2011 Heritage festival. Monte Vista is also one of only three high schools in the Grossmont district to offer class piano.
- "Monte Vista High School is a learning organization made up of diverse groups of people dedicated to assisting each individual to reach his or her full potential."
- Mike Whitmarsh, 1980, professional volleyball player and Olympic silver medalist (1996)
- Tonéx, 1993, gospel singer
- Michael Wiley, 1996, NFL football player
- Vanessa Gleason, 1997, September 1998 Playmate
- Nick Cannon, 1998, rapper and actor
- Brooks Conrad, 1998, Major League Baseball player
- Royce Ring, 1999, Major League Baseball player
- Lindgren, Jim (October 31, 1990). "SAN DIEGO COLLEGE NOTEBOOK : Mike Whitmarsh Has Adjusted Well to Different Kind of Net". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved August 22, 2014.
- Meanley, Erin (June 20, 2011). "Spotlight on B. Slade". San Diego Magazine. Retrieved August 22, 2014.
- Shontz, Lori (September 28, 1998). "The OSU flash". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved August 22, 2014.
- Kappes, Serena; Hay, Carla (September 2, 2005). "Celeb Spotlight: Nick Cannon". People. Retrieved August 22, 2014.
- Garske, Monica (August 17, 2013). "'AGT' Host Nick Cannon Donates School Supplies in San Diego". KNSD. Retrieved August 22, 2014.
- Lin, Dennis (August 21, 2014). "Benoit to avoid disabled list". U-T San Diego. Retrieved August 22, 2014.
- "Engagement: Gordon-Ring". Ortonville Independent. Google News. March 20, 2006. Retrieved August 22, 2014.