Montebello High School
|Montebello High School|
|2100 West Cleveland Avenue
Montebello, California 90640
|Teaching staff||118.04 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||27.03|
|Color(s)||Blue & Gold|
|Athletics conference||CIF Southern Section
|Mascot||Ollie the Oiler|
|Rival||Schurr High School|
Founded in 1909, Montebello High School (MHS) is a public high school which is part of the Montebello Unified School District, and has an enrollment of approximately 3,400 students in grades 9-12. Its campus is located in Montebello, California (USA), a suburb of Los Angeles. It is named for the city of Montebello.
- 1 Overview
- 2 Demographics
- 3 Academics
- 4 Extracurricular activities
- 5 Notable alumni
- 6 Media appearances
- 7 References
- 8 External links
The Montebello High School mascot is known as Ollie the Oiler, and the schools alumni are referred to as Oilers.
The demographic breakdown of the 3,191 students enrolled for the 2012-2013 school year was:
- Male - 50.7%
- Female - 49.3%
- Native American/Alaskan - 0.1%
- Asian/Pacific islander - 0.9%
- Black - 0.3%
- Hispanic - 96.1%
- White - 2.4%
- Multiracial - 0.2%
Additionally, 86.3% of the students were eligible for free or reduced lunch.
The school currently offers 2 Pathways. The first of the two is the CATS Pathway, which teaches students how to be creative media artists and animators. The second of the two is the DRIVEN Pathway, which focuses on students learning about ergo alternative fuels and the automotive industry for future green jobs.
The varsity sports teams are referred to as the "Montebello Oilers." The school colors are blue and gold. The school has an athletic rivalry with nearby Schurr High School.
Sports offered at MHS:
Clubs and activities
- The Mighty Oiler Marching Band
- Golden Key
Government and politics
- David L. Snowden, 1961: Police Chief of City of Beverly Hills, CA, (2004-Current)
- Art Torres, 1964: former United States Democratic Party state senator.
Arts, sciences, and education
- John DeCuir, 1936: art director and production designer.
- Robert Bruce Merrifield, 1939: American Biochemist who won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1984 for the invention of solid phase Peptide synthesis.
Sports and entertainment
- Jack Kramer, 1939: American Tennis Player.
- Tom Tellez, 1951: former Track Coach at the University of Houston in Texas.
- Darlene Hard, 1954: American Tennis Player
- Barney Rosenzweig, 1955: American television Producer.
- Jerry Pimm, 1956: former Basketball coach at University of Utah.
- Bobby Knoop, 1956: retired MLB second baseman who played for the California Angels, Chicago White Sox, and Kansas City Royals
- Edward James Olmos, 1964: actor and director.
- John Madrid, 1966: iconic jazz and pop music trumpeter during the 60's,70's, and 80's. 
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Montebello High". ed.gov. Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- "Montebello Oilers Athletics". Montebello Oilers - Montebello High School Sports. Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- "Police Chief". beverlyhills.org. Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- "Johnny Madrid". Facebook. Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- jazzbone. "Benedictus". mominani.blogspot.com. Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- Twisted Sister - I Wanna Rock (Official Video). YouTube. 3 August 2010. Retrieved 16 July 2015.