|Comune di Montecorvino Rovella|
Montecorvino Rovella within the
Province of Salerno and Campania
|Frazioni||Chiarelli, Cornea, Ferrari, Gauro, Macchia, Marangi, Martorano, Molenadi (Sant'Eustachio), Nuvola, Occiano, San Lazzaro, San Martino, Votraci|
|• Mayor||Giuseppe D'Aiutolo|
|• Total||42 km2 (16 sq mi)|
|Elevation||220 m (720 ft)|
|• Density||300/km2 (780/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Postal code||84096 (communal seat), 84090 (frazioni)|
|Patron saint||Sts. Peter and Paul|
|Saint day||29 June|
The origins of Montecorvino started in 269 BC, when the Romans defeated the Picentes from the Adriatic Coast and founded a colony transplanting them forcedly in Campania, in the town of Picenza. After a rebellion in 89 BC, and the subsequent Roman victory, the Picentini survivors were forced to not rebuild a single town, but a series of villages, easily controllable in case of further riots. One of them was Montecorvino (Mons Corvinus). Until 1820 it included the village of Pugliano and, until 1990, the frazione of Bellizzi.
Montecorvino is a hilltown surrounded by the Picentini mountain range, included into the Monti Picentini Regional Park. It borders with the municipalities of Acerno, Battipaglia, Bellizzi, Giffoni Valle Piana, Montecorvino Pugliano and Olevano sul Tusciano.
It includes the hamlets (frazioni) of Chiarelli, Cornea, Ferrari, Gauro, Macchia, Marangi, Martorano, Molenadi (Sant'Eustachio), Nuvola, Occiano, San Lazzaro, San Martino and Votraci. Other localities, mainly composed by some scattered farmhouses, are Aiello, Annunziata, Arpignano, Cannito Pezze, Faitano, Incassata, Pezze, Pianella, San Filippo, San Lorenzo, San Luca, San Pietro, Temponi and Valle Sant'Andrea.
The town is served by the state highway SS 164 and by several provincial roads. Nearest motorway exit (12 km south) is "Montecorvino Pugliano" on the A2. Nearest railway station (11 km south) is "Montecorvino-Bellizzi", originally named only "Montecorvino Rovella", located in the town and former frazione of Bellizzi. Montecorvino is also 15 km north of Salerno-Pontecagnano Airport.
- John of Montecorvino (1247-1328), Franciscan missionary
- Luca Gaurico (1475-1558), astrologer, astronomer and mathematician
- Robert Picardo (b. 1953), American actor and singer with Italian heritage, with his father's family originating from Montecorvino and his mother's parents originally from Bomba, in Abruzzo.
- (in Italian) Source: Istat 2017
- (in Italian) History of Montecorvino Rovella
- 40662 Montecorvino Rovella on OpenStreetMap
- Robert Picardo ("The Doctor" - VOY) at the Wayback Machine (archived June 30, 2008)
- (in Italian) Robert Picardo visits his ancestors in Montecorvino Archived 2016-04-17 at the Wayback Machine.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Montecorvino Rovella.|
|This Campanian location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|