|Comune di Montecorvino Rovella|
Montecorvino Rovella within the
Province of Salerno and Campania
|Frazioni||Chiarelli, Cornea, Ferrari, Gauro, Macchia, Marangi, Martorano, Molenadi (Sant'Eustachio), Nuvola, Occiano, San Lazzaro, San Martino, Votraci|
|• Mayor||Martino D'Onofrio|
|• Total||42.16 km2 (16.28 sq mi)|
|Elevation||220 m (720 ft)|
(30 November 2017)
|• Density||300/km2 (780/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
84096 (communal seat), 84090 (frazioni)
|Patron saint||Sts. Peter and Paul|
|Saint day||29 June|
In 269 BC the Romans defeated the Picentes from the Adriatic Coast and founded a colony transplanting them forcedly in Campania, in the town of Picenza. After a rebellion in 89 BC, and the subsequent Roman victory, the Picentini survivors were forced to not rebuild a single town, but a series of villages, easily controllable in case of further riots. One of them was Montecorvino (Mons Corvinus). Until 1820 it included the village of Pugliano and, until 1990, the frazione of Bellizzi.
In 1970, an early medieval church of Sant-Ambrogio, dating to the ninth century, was rediscovered. It is currently being studied by a project based in the Universities of Birmingham (UK) and Salerno (Italy) 
Montecorvino is a hilltown surrounded by the Picentini mountain range, included into the Monti Picentini Regional Park. It borders with the municipalities of Acerno, Battipaglia, Bellizzi, Giffoni Valle Piana, Montecorvino Pugliano and Olevano sul Tusciano.
The town is served by the state highway SS 164 and by several provincial roads. Nearest motorway exit (12 km south) is "Montecorvino Pugliano" on the A2. Nearest railway station (11 km south) is "Montecorvino-Bellizzi", originally named only "Montecorvino Rovella", located in the town and former frazione of Bellizzi. Montecorvino is also 15 km north of Salerno-Pontecagnano Airport.
- John of Montecorvino (1247-1328), Franciscan missionary
- Luca Gaurico (1475-1558), astrologer, AKUMA É LIastronomer and mathematician
- Robert Picardo (b. 1953), American actor and singer with Italian heritage, with his father's family originating from Montecorvino and his mother's parents originally from Bomba, in Abruzzo.
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- (in Italian) Source: Istat 2017
- (in Italian) History of Montecorvino Rovella
- Project website
- 40662 Montecorvino Rovella on OpenStreetMap
- Robert Picardo ("The Doctor" - VOY) at the Wayback Machine (archived June 30, 2008)
- (in Italian) Robert Picardo visits his ancestors in Montecorvino Archived 2016-04-17 at the Wayback Machine
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Montecorvino Rovella.|
|This Campanian location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|