|Intermunic. comm.||Alentejo Central|
|• President||Hortênsia Menino (CDU)|
|• Total||1,232.97 km2 (476.05 sq mi)|
|• Density||14/km2 (37/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC±00:00 (WET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+01:00 (WEST)|
|Local holiday||Saint John of God|
Montemor-o-Novo (Portuguese pronunciation: [mõtɨˈmɔɾ u ˈnovu] (listen)) is a municipality in the District of Évora in Portugal. The population in 2011 was 17,437, in an area of 1232.97 km². The city itself had a population of 8,928 in 2001.
The present Mayor is Hortênsia Menino, elected by the Unitarian Democratic Coalition. The municipal holiday is March 8, after Saint John of God, a 16th-century saint, who was born in Montemor-o-Novo.
- Cortiçadas de Lavre e Lavre
- Foros de Vale de Figueira
- Nossa Senhora da Vila, Nossa Senhora do Bispo e Silveiras
- Santiago do Escoural
- São Cristóvão
- Vasco Gil Sodré (c.1450 — c.1500) a Portuguese navigator, early settler of the Azores island of Graciosa
- Saint John of God (1495–1550) a canonized Portuguese soldier turned health-care worker in Spain, whose followers later formed the Brothers Hospitallers of Saint John of God.
- Fernando Martins Mascarenhas (c.1548 – 1628) a scholar, theologian, and church leader
- Maria Clara Correia Alves (1869–1948) a Portuguese feminist, co-founder of the National Council of Portuguese Women
- Kalidás Barreto (1932–2020), trade unionist.
- Luís Capoulas Santos (born 1951) a Portuguese politician and Govt. Minister
- Ai Weiwei (born 1957), Chinese contemporary artist and activist
- Instituto Nacional de Estatística
- "Áreas das freguesias, concelhos, distritos e país". Archived from the original on 2018-11-05. Retrieved 2018-11-05.
- UMA POPULAÇÃO QUE SE URBANIZA, Uma avaliação recente - Cidades, 2004 Nuno Pires Soares, Instituto Geográfico Português (Geographic Institute of Portugal)
- Catholic Encyclopedia. 08. 1910. .
- Diário da República. "Law nr. 11-A/2013, page 552 77-78" (pdf) (in Portuguese). Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- "Adeodato Barreto, a família e os amigos" (PDF). Arquivo da Universidade de Coimbra. p. 2. Retrieved 2014-05-20.
- Newell-Hanson, Alice (12 April 2021). "Furry Friends: The Joy Ai Weiwei Gets From His Cats". T: The New York Times Style Magazine. Retrieved 5 July 2021.