Monterey's Fish House
|Monterey's Fish House|
|Head chef||G. Garvin|
|Street address||2114 Del Monte Ave|
Design and ambiance
The restaurant is located in a former house. Its exterior is a salmon pink color. The interior is decorated in photographs of fishermen from Sicily. The restaurant often "packed" with people, according to Fodor's requiring people to make reservations and/or wait for tables at the bar or outside in a line. Lonely Planet describes the restaurant as "island-casual." Fodor's calls Monterey's Fish House "casual yet stylish." Monterey's Fish House has also been described as having an "Old-school Italian vibe."
Monterey's Fish House is a seafood restaurant. The restaurant calls its food "home-style." David DiGirolamo calls the food "simple" with garlic and basil being the primary spices used in preparing dishes.
The main entrees include a selection of fresh caught seafood, including swordfish and baby octopus, either grilled over oak or blackened. The spice rub used on the blackened fish is described by Monterey County Now as "cozy at first – a gentle drift of smoke, a faint bitter trace and the glow of embers at dusk, a low, grumbling warmth from cayenne and paprika. Yet there is a welcoming balance of dry herbs and gloaming earth. It’s layered and elusive and beautifully crafted." Additional fish offerings can include snapper, halibut and albacore tuna.
The restaurant's house speciality is its Sicilian Holiday Pasta (a "cioppino over pasta" with seasonal fish with clams, mussels, prawns, calamari and octopus) and squid steak. All of their pasta's are made inhouse.
Travel writers Buz Bezore and Christina Waters describe Monterey's Fish House as having "fantastically fresh" seafood while being "off the beaten path" from Monterey's touristy areas. Dorling Kindersley's travel guides call the restaurant "casual but classy." Restaurant was named "Best Seafood" restaurant by The Salinas Californian in 2003 and 2005.
- "About". Monterey Fish House. Monterey Fish House. Retrieved 23 December 2018.
- "Monterey's Fish House". Food Network. Retrieved 23 December 2018.
- Diaz, Ricardo A. (10 June 2010). "Monterey Fish House likes to keep it fresh". The Californian. p. 1. Retrieved 24 December 2018.
- Stuart Thornton (13 November 2018). Moon Coastal California. Avalon Publishing. p. 36. ISBN 978-1-64049-292-9.
- Buz Bezore; Christina Waters (7 June 2005). Explorer's Guide Big Sur, Monterey Bay & Gold Coast Wine Country: A Great Destination (Third Edition). Countryman Press. p. 165. ISBN 978-1-58157-995-6.
- "Monterey's Fish House". Monterey, USA Restaurants. Lonely Planet. Retrieved 23 December 2018.
- "Monterey's Fish House The Monterey Bay Area Restaurants Review". Fodor's Travel. Retrieved 23 December 2018.
- "Monterey Weekend Travel Guide". Tasting Table. 20 July 2017. Retrieved 23 December 2018.
- Faries, Dave. "Monterey Fish House I Eduardo Blanco". Monterey County Weekly. Retrieved 23 December 2018.
- DK Travel (15 May 2018). DK Eyewitness Travel Guide California. DK Publishing. p. 59. ISBN 978-1-4654-7799-6.
- "Food & Dining Awards". The Californian. Newspapers.com. 23 October 2003. Retrieved 24 December 2018.
- "Readers' Choice - Food & Dining Awards". The Californian. Newspapers.com. 25 October 2005. p. 45. Retrieved 24 December 2018.