Monterey Jazz Festival
|Monterey Jazz Festival|
50th Golden Celebration Poster (2007)
|Genre||Jazz, blues, rock|
|Dates||24–26 September 2021|
|Location(s)||Monterey, California, USA|
|Years active||1958–2019, 2021–|
The festival is held annually on the 20-acre (8 ha), oak-studded Monterey County Fairgrounds, located at 2004 Fairground Road in Monterey, on the third full weekend in September, beginning on Friday. Five hundred top jazz artists perform on nine stages spread throughout the grounds, with 50 concert performances. In addition, the Monterey Jazz Festival features jazz conversations, panel discussions, workshops, exhibitions, clinics, and an international array of food, shopping, and festivities spread throughout the fairgrounds.
From 1992 to 2010, Tim Jackson was general manager and artistic director, and in 2010, Chris Doss became the managing director, and Jackson became the artistic director. In 2014, Colleen Bailey became the managing director. Since 1992, Clint Eastwood has been on MJF's board of directors. Kent and Keith Zimmerman describe the festival as having expanded in recent years: "While jazz radio and major labels cut back on musical choice and commitment, the Monterey Jazz Festival has widened its scope by expanding the parameters of jazz, blues, and rock. . . . Happily, MJF is now as diverse and vibrant as Lyons imagined it ever could be."
Since there'll be no festival in 2020, the 63rd is deferred to 2021. The COVID-19 pandemic caused officials to cancel it.
The Monterey Jazz Festival is a nonprofit organization. It has donated its proceeds to musical education since its inception in 1958. The festival's scholarship program started with a $35,000 scholarship fund in 1970. As of 2012, the festival invests $600,000 annually for jazz education. Every spring, the Monterey Jazz Festival invites student musicians from across the country and around the world to participate in the "Next Generation Festival".
Dave Brubeck was instrumental in getting city approval for the first festival in 1958. The founder and general manager of MJF for 35 years, Jimmy Lyons, brought Brubeck to Monterey to perform for the city council to persuade them to allow the festival to occur. He performed at the Festival 14 times which included his appearance at the 2007 / 50th golden anniversary.
- Mort Sahl, Master of Ceremonies, Ernestine Anderson with Gerald Wiggins, Louis Armstrong and His All-Stars, Burt Bales & the Dixie All-Stars, Betty Bennett, Dave Brubeck Quartet, Benny Carter, George Coleman, Buddy DeFranco, Art Farmer, Med Flory Band, Jimmy Giuffre Three with Bob Brookmeyer and Jim Hall, Dizzy Gillespie, Claude Gilroy Quintet, Virgil Gonsalves Sextet, Billie Holiday, Milt Jackson, Harry James Orchestra, John Lewis, Mel Lewis-Bill Holman Quintet, Booker Little, Shelly Manne, Mastersounds with Wes Montgomery, Lizzie Miles, Buddy Montgomery and Monk Montgomery, Modern Jazz Quartet, Monterey Jazz Festival Symphony conducted by Gregory Millar, Brew Moore & Dickie Mills Quintet, Gerry Mulligan, Max Roach, Sonny Rollins, Rudi Salvini Band, Grace Stock, Jake Stock & the Abalone Stompers, Cal Tjader Sextet, Leroy Vinnegar Quartet with Teddy Edwards, Ed Zubov Band
- Lambert, Hendricks & Ross, Master of Ceremonies, "Symphony for Brass & Percussion" by Gunther Schuller, "Three Saxes" by Ernie Wilkins with Ornette Coleman, and Ben Webster, Brass Ensemble performs new works by Werner Heider, Chris Barber, Charlie Byrd & Zoot Sims, Buddy Collette, Count Basie Orchestra with Joe Williams, Benny Golson, Coleman Hawkins & Orchestra, Woody Herman & the All Stars with Ernestine Anderson, Earl Hines, André Hodeir, Paul Horn, J.J. Johnson and John Lewis, John Lewis and Quincy Jones, George Lewis New Orleans Band, Lizzie Miles, Modern Jazz Quartet, Oscar Peterson Trio with Ray Brown and Ed Thigpen, Cal Tjader Quintet, Jimmy Witherspoon, Sarah Vaughan
- Cannonball Adderley, Louis Armstrong All-Stars, Ornette Coleman Quartet, John Coltrane Quartet, Duke Ellington Orchestra, Jon Hendricks with Miriam Makeba, Helen Humes, Clarence Horatius Miller, Modern Jazz Quartet, Odetta, André Previn Trio, Jimmy Rushing, Jimmy Witherspoon
- Dave Brubeck Quartet, John Coltrane Quartet with Eric Dolphy & Wes Montgomery, Duke Ellington, Dizzy Gillespie Quintet, Carmen McRae, Odetta, Jimmy Rushing, George Shearing Quintet
- Louis Armstrong All-Stars, Dave Brubeck, Stan Getz Quartet, Dizzy Gillespie Quintet, Quincy Jones & the Monterey Jazz Festival Orchestra, Carmen McRae, Gerry Mulligan Quartet
- Carmen McRae, Miles Davis Quintet, Dizzy Gillespie Quintet, Dave Brubeck Quartet, Herbie Hancock, Thelonious Monk Quartet, Jon Hendricks, Harry James Orchestra, Jimmy Witherspoon, The Andrews Sisters & the Gospel Song, and Helen Merrill, Joe Sullivan
- Duke Ellington Orchestra, Dizzy Gillespie Quintet, Miles Davis Quintet w/ Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter & Tony Williams, Gerry Mulligan, Thelonious Monk Quartet, Lou Rawls, Joe Williams, Woody Herman, Art Farmer Quartet, and Big Mama Thornton.
- Louis Armstrong All-Stars, Duke Ellington Orchestra, Dizzy Gillespie Quintet w/ Mary Stallings, Cal Tjader Quintet, John Handy Quintet, Clark Terry, Earl "Fatha" Hines, Harry James New Swingin' Band w/ Buddy Rich, Anita O'Day, Mary Lou Williams, and Ethel Ennis
- Duke Ellington Orchestra, Count Basie Orchestra, Dave Brubeck Quartet, Don Ellis Orchestra, Gerry Mulligan, Cannonball Adderley Quintet, Carmen McRae, Big Mama Thornton, Jefferson Airplane, Jimmy Rushing, Muddy Waters Band, Randy Weston, Bola Sete, and Charles Lloyd
- 10th Anniversary headliners T-Bone Walker, B. B. King, the Clara Ward Singers, Dizzy Gillespie Quintet, Modern Jazz Quartet, Ornette Coleman Quartet, Carmen McRae, Earl "Fatha" Hines, Richie Havens, and Big Brother and the Holding Company w/ Janis Joplin
- Dizzy Gillespie Quintet, Count Basie Orchestra, Oscar Peterson Trio, Modern Jazz Quartet, Cal Tjader Quintet, Mel Tormé, B. B. King, Muddy Waters, Billy Eckstine, Big Mama Thornton, and George Duke Trio w/ Third Wave
- Miles Davis Quintet w/ Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea, Dave Holland & Jack DeJohnette, Thelonious Monk Quartet, Sarah Vaughan, Joe Williams, Cannonball Adderley Quintet, Roberta Flack & Her Trio, Sly and the Family Stone, and Buddy Rich Band
- Duke Ellington, Modern Jazz Quartet, Cannonball Adderley Quintet, Joe Williams, Johnny Otis Show w/ Little Esther Phillips and Eddie "Cleanhead" Vinson, Woody Herman Orchestra, Buddy Rich Orchestra, Ivory Joe Hunter, Sonny Stitt & Gene Ammons
- Dave Brubeck Quartet, Oscar Peterson Trio, Sarah Vaughan, Carmen McRae, Erroll Garner, Jimmy Witherspoon & Friends, John Handy, and Mary Lou Williams
- Modern Jazz Quartet, John Hendricks, Jimmy Witherspoon, Cal Tjader Quintet, Thelonious Monk, Sonny Rollins Quartet, Joe Williams, Herbie Hancock Septet, Quincy Jones Orchestra, Mary Lou Williams Trio, Roberta Flack
- Dizzy Gillespie Quintet, Carmen McRae, Bo Diddley, Mel Lewis-Thad Jones Orchestra, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Pointer Sisters, Buddy Rich, Clark Terry, Jon Hendricks, Milt Jackson, and Max Roach
- Dizzy Gillespie, Sarah Vaughan, Cal Tjader, Jon Hendricks, Mongo Santamaría, Clark Terry, Bo Diddley, Anita O'Day, Big Joe Turner, James Cotton Blues Band, and Jerome Richardson
- Dizzy Gillespie Quartet with Cal Tjader, Etta James, Bobby "Blue" Bland, Betty Carter, Blood, Sweat & Tears, and Sunnyland Slim, "Piano Playhouse" with Bill Evans, John Lewis, Marian McPartland and Patrice Rushen, The Meters, Toshiko Akiyoshi-Lew Tabackin Big Band
- Dizzy Gillespie, John Faddis, Clark Terry, Cal Tjader Quintet, Paul Desmond Quartet, Jimmy Witherspoon, Bill Berry Big Band, Toshiko Akiyoshi/Lew Tabackin Band, Helen Humes, Heath Brothers, Eje Thelin Quartet, Gerald Wilson, Queen Ida and the Bon Temps Zydeco Band. Also: Matrix.
- 20th Anniversary headliners Cal Tjader, Joe Williams, Benny Carter, George Duke, Tito Puente Orchestra, Horace Silver Quintet, Gerald Wilson, and The Neville Brothers, Queen Ida, Betty Carter, Count Basie Orchestra, John Lewis & Hank Jones, also: Matrix.
- Dizzy Gillespie, Albert Collins, Kenny Burrell, The Hi-Lo's, Billy Cobham, Bob Dorough, Dexter Gordon Quartet, and Ruth Brown, Tony Cook
- Dizzy Gillespie, Diane Schuur, Joe Williams, Aaron Neville, Sonny Stitt, Richie Cole, Flora Purim, Red Mitchell, Scott Hamilton, Earl King, Stan Getz Quintet, Helen Humes, Woody Herman, The Buddy Rich Band, Woody Shaw Quintet, and James Booker
- Sarah Vaughan, Cal Tjader Quartet, Freddie Hubbard Quintet, Manhattan Transfer, Big Joe Turner, and Dave Brubeck Quartet
- Billy Eckstine, Sarah Vaughan, Toshiko Akiyoshi/Lew Tabackin Band, Tania Maria, Tito Puente & Latin Percussion Sextet w/ Poncho Sanchez, and Cal Tjader
- 25th Silver Anniversary headliners Carmen McRae, Dave Brubeck Quartet, Dizzy Gillespie Quartet, Ernestine Anderson, Tito Puente Latin Jazz Big Band, Poncho Sanchez & His Jazz Band, Gerald Wilson & the Orchestra, Mel Lewis Orchestra, Joe Williams, Woody Herman & Ira Sullivan Quintet, and Etta James Band
- Sarah Vaughan, Joe Williams, Tania Maria, Wynton Marsalis Quintet, Mel Tormé, Bobby McFerrin, Bo Diddley, Irma Thomas, and Bobby Hutcherson Percussion Ensemble, Jon Faddis Band, and the Buddy Rich Band
- Ernestine Anderson, Etta James, Tito Puente w/ Dianne Reeves, Clark Terry, James Moody, Bobby McFerrin, Benny Carter, Richie Cole, Al Cohn, and Shelly Mann Trio
- Sarah Vaughan, Joe Williams, Clark Terry, Dave Brubeck Quartet, Woody Herman & the Thudering Herd, Toshiko Akiyoshi/Lew Tabackin Band, Modern Jazz Quartet, and the Gerald Wilson Orchestra
- Tito Puente Latin Jazz Big Band, Art Farmer/Benny Golson Jazztet, Dianne Reeves, George Shearing, Bobby McFerrin, Rare Silk, Sue Raney, Etta James, John Lee Hooker & the Coast to Coast Blues Band, and Linda Hopkins
- 30th Anniversary headliners Ray Charles, B.B. King, Etta James, Stéphane Grappelli, Buddy Guy & Junior Wells, Modern Jazz Quartet, and Woody Herman Band
- Joe Williams, Dianne Reeves, Diane Schuur, Carla Thomas, Mongo Santamaría, Benny Carter, Clark Terry, Richie Cole, Queen Ida & the Bon Temps Zydeco Band
- Freddie Hubbard Quintet w/Bobby Hutcherson, Dizzy Gillespie, Kitty Margolis, Herbie Mann & Jasil Brazz, Madeline Eastman, Tania Maria, Etta James & the Root Band, Jimmy McCracklin
- Dianne Reeves, Joe Williams, Oscar Peterson, Ernestine Anderson, Rebecca Parris, Etta James, Kitty Margolis, Michel Petrucciani Group, Spyro Gyra, Stan Getz Sextet, Stanley Turrentine Quintet, and the Gerald Wilson Orchestra
- Count Basie Orchestra, Phil Woods Quintet, Modern Jazz Quintet, Diane Schuur, Chick Corea, Charles Brown, Ruth Brown, Jon Hendricks & Company, Carol Sloane, and Jimmy McCracklin & the Linettes
- Herbie Hancock, Wynton Marsalis, Branford Marsalis Quartet, Kenny Burrell, Ron Carter, George Duke, Jimmy Smith, Stanley Turrentine, Betty Carter, Kitty Margolis, Dave Brubeck Quartet, Modern Jazz Quartet, Yellowjackets, Roy Hargrove Quintet, George Duke
- Dianne Reeves, Clark Terry, Nat Adderley, Ron Carter, Joe Williams, Rubén Blades, Madeline Eastman, McCoy Tyner Big Band w/ Bobby Hutcherson, Charles Lloyd Quartet
- Sonny Rollins, Ornette Coleman & Prime Time, Max Roach & M'Boom, Shirley Horn Trio, Grover Washington, Jr., Etta James & the Roots Band, Nnenna Freelon, Terence Blanchard Quartet w/Jeanie Bryson, and Kyle Eastwood Quartet (Clint Eastwood's son)
- Bobby McFerrin, Madeline Eastman, Chick Corea Akoustic Quartet, Stéphane Grappelli, Lee Ritenour/Dave Grusin All-Stars, Gene Harris Band, Rebecca Parris, Staple Singers, Charlie Hunter Trio, Lou Donaldson Quartet, Mary Stallings
- George Benson, Herbie Hancock Quartet w/ Joshua Redman, Roy Hargrove & Chucho Valdés, Faye Carol w/ Kito Gamble Trio, Irma Thomas, Jessica Williams Trio, and Kyle Eastwood.
- Diana Krall Trio, Gerald Wilson Orchestra, Sonny Rollins, David Sanborn Group, Myra Melford Trio, Otis Rush, Arturo Sandoval, Koko Taylor & Her Blues Machine, and Charlie Hunter Quartet.
- Dee Dee Bridgewater w/ MJF High School All-Star Big Band, Dave Brubeck Quartet, Elvin Jones Jazz Machine, Bobby Hutcherson Quartet, Tower of Power, and Al Jarreau
- Diana Krall, Terence Blanchard Sextet, Kyle Eastwood, Chris Potter, Joshua Redman, Lew Tabackin, Russell Malone, Clark Terry, Regina Carter, Kenny Barron, Ray Drummond, Ben Riley, The Manhattan Transfer, Ruth Brown, and Bobby "Blue" Bland
- Wayne Shorter Group, Pat Metheny Trio, Dianne Reeves, Mimi Fox Trio, Richard Bona, Rubén Blades, featuring Editus, Lou Rawls–Les McCann Reunion, and Michael McDonald
- Herbie Hancock, Wynton Marsalis, Branford Marsalis Quartet, Taj Mahal, Jimmy Smith, Roberta Gambarini, Jane Monheit, Ravi Coltrane Quartet, McCoy Tyner Trio, Dave Holland Big Band, Regina Carter, and Deborah Coleman
- Nancy Wilson & Ramsey Lewis, Etta James & the Root Band, Marcia Ball, Paula West, Big Time Sarah, Dave Brubeck & Sons, and Lizz Wright
- Terence Blanchard Sextet, Bobby McFerrin, Take 6, Regina Carter Quintet, Marian McPartland Trio w/ Lynne Arriale, Chaka Khan, Buddy Guy, and Bettye LaVette
- Tony Bennett, Sonny Rollins, Branford Marsalis Quartet, Mavis Staples, Kyle Eastwood, Larry Carlton & the Sapphire Blues Band w/ special guest Ledisi, John Scofield, Banyan and New Orleans Jazz Vipers
- Oscar Peterson Trio w/ Hank Jones & Clint Eastwood, Dianne Reeves, The Yellowjackets, Oscar Peterson, Bonnie Raitt, Hank Jones, the Charles Lloyd Quartet, Dave Brubeck, McCoy Tyner with Bobby Hutcherson, Roy Hargrove, Robert Lowery, Virgil Thrasher, Hank Jones with vocalist Roberta Gambarini, youthful piano phenomenon Eldar Djangirov, Ben Monder's Trio, and Tierney Sutton with her all star trio, anchored by pianist Christian Jacob, and more.
- 50th Golden Celebration, presented Diana Krall, Sonny Rollins, Ornette Coleman, Dave Brubeck w/ Jim Hall, Gerald Wilson, Ernestine Anderson, John McLaughlin, Dave Holland, Kenny Burrell Quartet, Otis Taylor Band w/ Cassie Taylor, Rashied Ali Quintet, Issac Delgado, Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Los Lobos, James Moody, Vinnie Esparza, Sean Jones, Christian Scott, Cyrus Chestnut, and Terence Blanchard Quintet with Kendrick Scott
- Building on the exciting and unprecedented legacy of fifty years of historic jazz presentation, the Monterey Jazz Festival 50th Anniversary Band will tour on 54-date, 10-week tour of the United States from January 8, 2008 to March 16, 2008. The band features jazz singer Nnenna Freelon, with trumpeter Terence Blanchard, pianist Benny Green, saxophonist James Moody, bassist Derrick Hodge and drummer Kendrick Scott.
- Nancy Wilson, Herbie Hancock, Cassandra Wilson, Terence Blanchard, Tom Scott, Maria Schneider Jazz Orchestra, Christian McBride Quintet, Kyle Eastwood, Joshua Redman Trio, The Derek Trucks Band, Maceo Parker, Ledisi, Jamie Cullum, Wayne Shorter Quartet, Kurt Elling, Trio M with Myra Melford, Mark Dresser & Matt Wilson, Tuck & Patti, Barbara Dennerlein Trio
- Dee Dee Bridgewater, Wynton Marsalis, Hank Jones (did not appear due to health concerns), Pete Seeger, Susan Tedeschi, Conrad Herwig, Randy Brecker, Vijay Iyer, Dave Brubeck, John Patitucci, Brian Blade, George Duke, Jason Moran, Regina Carter, Kurt Elling, Russell Malone, Esperanza Spalding, Soulive w/ John Scofield, and Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke and Lenny White and more.
- Dianne Reeves, Harry Connick, Jr., Ahmad Jamal, Chick Corea Freedom Band (with Kenny Garrett, Christian McBride, and 2010 Showcase Artist, Roy Haynes), Angelique Kidjo, Roy Hargrove, Billy Childs, Delbert McClinton, Nellie McKay, Les McCann, Les Nubians
- Joshua Redman, Poncho Sanchez Band with special guest Terence Blanchard, Huey Lewis & The News, Eldar, Herbie Hancock, Geri Allen & Timeline, India.Arie & Idan Raichel, Sonny Rollins, Tia Fuller, Beat Maestro, Young Harper
- Diana Krall, George Benson, Mary Stallings, Ravi Coltrane Quartet, Bobby McFerrin, David Sanborn, Wayne Shorter, Omara Portuondo, and Gregory Porter
- Melissa Aldana Crash Trio, Ambrose Akinmusire Quintet, Red Baraat, Jon Batiste & Stay Human, Brian Blade & The Fellowship Band, Blue Note Records 75th Anniversary Band with Ambrose Akinmusire, Donald Brown, Uri Caine with Booker T. Jones, Billy Childs, Gary Clark Jr., Shawn Colvin, Commanders Jazz Ensemble, Davina and the Vagabonds, Aaron Diehl Quartet, Pete Escovedo Orchestra with Peter Michael & Juan Escovedo, Michael Feinstein with Russell Malone & Harry Allen and the Next Generation Jazz Orchestra, Lisa Fischer, Ben Flocks Quartet, Robert Glasper with Jason Moran, Habaneros, Herbie Hancock, John Hanrahan Quartet, Eric Harland Voyager, Derrick Hodge & Lionel Loueke, Zakir Hussain and Eric Harland, Booker T. Jones, Geoffrey Keezer Trio, Bari Koral, Charles Lloyd Quartet with Jason Moran, Charles Lloyd & Gerald Clayton, Harold Lopez-Nussa, Harold Mabern, Delfeayo Marsalis & Ellis Marsalis, Christian McBride Trio, Sarah McKenzie Quartet, Marcus Miller, Minor Thirds Trio, Tony Monaco, Jason Moran Fats Waller Dance Party, Next Generation Jazz Orchestra, The Philadelphia Experiment with Christian McBride, Ana Popovic, ?uestlove, Reuben Rogers & Eric Harland, The Roots, Pamela Rose & Wayne De La Cruz, Daniel Rosenboom Quintet, Cecile McLorin Salvant, SambaDa, Sangam with Charles Lloyd, Kendrick Scott, Sourmash Hug Band, Becca Stevens, Youn Sun Nah & Ulf Wakenius, Claudia Villela & Harvey Wainapel, Conversation about Blue Note Records, Conversation about Mulgrew Miller & James Williams, Conversation with Michael Feinstein, DownBeat Blindfold Test, Top bands from the Next Generation Jazz Festival
- Geri Allen presents the Erroll Garner Project: Concert by the Sea featuring Geri Allen, Jason Moran, Christian Sands, Russell Malone, Darek Oles, and Victor Lewis;
- Jaco's World: A Tribute to Jaco Pastorius conducted by Vince Mendoza featuring Will Lee, Christian McBride, Felix Pastorius, Peter Erskine, Tierney Sutton, Sonny Knight, Bob Mintzer, Alex Acuña
- Monterey Jazz Festival on Tour with Raul Midón, Ravi Coltrane, Nicholas Payton, Gerald Clayton, Joe Sanders, and Justin Brown
- Cyrille Aimée, Ambrose Akinmusire Quartet +5, Monty Alexander with John Clayton and Jeff Hamilton, Berklee Global Jazz Institute, Terence Blanchard featuring The E-Collective, Chris Botti, Brothers Comatose, Etienne Charles, Chick Corea & Béla Fleck, Chick Corea with Christian McBride & Brian Blade, Theo Croker and DVRKFUNK, Pete Escovedo Orchestra with Sheila E., James Francies, Nikki Hill, Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis, Kneebody, Sonny Knight & The Lakers, Musette Explosion, Dennis Murphy Band, Next Generation Jazz Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis, Lucky Peterson, Dianne Reeves, Kurt Rosenwinkel New Quartet, Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue, Snarky Puppy, Walter Blanding Sextet, Crossing Borders featuring Jennifer Scott & Kristen Strom, Duchess, Kyle Eastwood, Allan Harris and David Gilmore & Energies of Change, Carlos Henriquez: The Deal Maker, Jazz at Lincoln Center Jam Session, Jones Family Singers, Justin Kauflin Quartet, Rudresh Mahanthappa's Bird Calls, Michael O'Neill and Kenny Washington, Ernesto Oviedo with the John Santos Sextet, Lizz Wright, Dann Zinn with Peter Erskine and Chris Robinson
- American Music Program Pacific Crest Combo, Berkeley High School Combo A, Central Washington University Big Band, Folsom High School Big Band, Folsom High School Jazz Choir, Los Angeles County High School for the Arts Jazz Band, Los Angeles County High School for the Arts Jazz Choir, Monterey County High School All-Star Band, Monterey County High School Honor Vocal Jazz Ensemble, Northgate High School Jazz Band, SFJAZZ High School All-Stars Orchestra, University of Miami Frost School of Music "Extensions", University of the Pacific Combo, United States Marine Corps All-Star Jazz Band
- Percussion Discussion with Peter Erskine and Jeff Hamilton, Conversation: A Love Supreme with Ravi Coltrane and Rudresh Mahanthappa hosted by Ashley Kahn, Conversation: Erroll Garner Jazz Project, DownBeat Blindfold Test with Pete Escovedo and Sheila E. hosted by Dan Ouellette, Remembering Clark Terry with Justin Kauflin, Film: Jaco, Film: Keep On Keepin' On
- Berg, Chuck (1 August 2007). "Monterey Jazz Festival 50th Anniversary Book Released". JazzTimes. Retrieved 27 February 2019.
- Zimmerman, Keith and Kent. The Art of Jazz: Monterey Jazz Festival/50 Years (July 2007), page 119
- Big names, experience set Monterey apart
- Forty thousand party at Monterey Jazz Festival's 50th birthday
- "Next Generation Jazz Festival Hosts America's Top Young Jazz Musicians, March 30 – April 1, 2012 in Downtown Monterey | 56th Annual Monterey Jazz Festival - September 20 - 22, 2013". Montereyjazzfestival.org. 2012-04-01. Archived from the original on February 8, 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-13.
- Dave Brubeck Honored at Monterey Jazz Festival's First MJF Legends Award Presentation
- Michael Spörke. "Big Mama Thornton: The Life and Music". Mcfarlandbooks.com. Retrieved 2015-10-07.
- "Matrix Itinerary [Tour-date list]". Retrieved 7 May 2013.
- Nathan, Dave. "Proud Flesh: A Matrix Reunion - Matrix : Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 7 May 2013.
- Torreano, Bradley. "Matrix - Music Biography, Credits and Discography". AllMusic. Retrieved 7 May 2013.
- "Matrix: Wisconsin Jazz Legends, Event Information - Thrasher Opera House Green Lake Wisconsin". Thrasher Opera House. Retrieved 7 May 2013.
- Monterey Jazz Festival 50th Anniversary Band Tour Archived 2007-12-14 at the Wayback Machine
- Minor, William. Monterey Jazz Festival: Forty Legendary Years (October 1997), Angel City Press - ISBN 1-883318-40-8
- Zimmerman, Keith and Kent. The Art of Jazz: Monterey Jazz Festival/50 Years (July 2007), Angel City Press - ISBN 0-9794037-0-7
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Monterey Jazz Festival.|