Monterey Peninsula College
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (October 2017)
|Type||Public community college|
|Athletics||CCCAA – Coast Conference|
Monterey Peninsula College (MPC) is a public community college in Monterey, California. Established in 1947, it is a part of the California Community Colleges system. There are two additional MPC campuses located in Marina, and Seaside. The current interim college President is Dr. Mark Zacovic.
In 2009, MPC established a Great Books program, one of only two such programs available in the California Community Colleges system. The certificate can be completed through online study. In 2013, the MPC entered into an articulation agreement with Chicago's Shimer College, allowing students who have completed the MPC Great Books certificate to continue their studies at Shimer.
- Herm Edwards is an American football coach Kansas City Chiefs, and New York Jets and former National Football League (NFL) player Philadelphia Eagles, Los Angeles Rams, and Atlanta Falcons. Herm worked for many years at ESPN after his NFL playing and coaching days, and is currently the head coach at Arizona State University.
- David Fales was an American football quarterback for the Miami Dolphins of the National Football League (NFL). He was drafted by the Chicago Bears in the sixth round of the 2014 NFL Draft. He also played college football at San Jose State.
- Joseph Gutheinz, retired NASA official who investigated stolen and missing moon rocks.
- Ron Johnson, American football player Philadelphia Eagles 1985-89. Ron still holds the school record in the triple jump at 50'2".
- Christopher Kasparek, physician, writer, and translator.
- Jimmy Panetta, James Varni Panetta is an American politician from the state of California. He is a member of the United States House of Representatives for California's 20th congressional district. He is the son of Leon Panetta, who represented the Monterey area in Congress for 16 years before holding such jobs as White House Chief of Staff, Director of the CIA, and Secretary of Defense.
- Chris Barnes American football player running back Baltimore Ravens.
- Terry Poole American football player Seattle Seahawks.
- Herb Lusk American football player Philadelphia Eagles. Lusk was the first NFL player to kneel in the endzone after a touchdown and pray on October 9, 1977.
- Nate Wright American football player Atlanta Falcons, St. Louis Cardinals (NFL), & Minnesota Vikings.
- Bashir Levingston American football player New York Giants & CFL Toronto Argonauts.
- Maurice Mann American football player Cincinnati Bengals, Minnesota Vikings & CFL Toronto Argonauts.
- Eric Richardson American football player wide receiver Buffalo Bills. He also played college football at San Jose State.
- Nick Cunningham Three time United States Olympic bobsledder in 2010, 2014, and 2018. Nick played CB for the MPC football team and ran track.
- Matai Leuta Team USA Rugby 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
- Pete O'Brien Major League Baseball first baseman Texas Rangers 1982-88, Cleveland Indians 1989, and Seattle Mariners 1990-93.
- Marco Ramos Team Mexico basketball player who plays the forward position, he participated at the 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup.
- Bill McClintock member of the University of California, Berkeley 1959 NCAA championship team in basketball coached by hall of famer Pete Newell.
- Gaylen Ross director, writer, producer and actress best known for playing Francine Parker in the 1978 horror film Dawn of the Dead.
- As of June 30, 2009. "U.S. and Canadian Institutions Listed by Fiscal Year 2009 Endowment Market Value and Percentage Change in Endowment Market Value from FY 2008 to FY 2009" (PDF). 2009 NACUBO-Commonfund Study of Endowments. National Association of College and University Business Officers. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 14, 2017. Retrieved February 2, 2010.
- Claudia Salinas (2014-07-21). "MPC's Great Books Program earning accolades". Monterey Herald. Retrieved 2016-03-25.
- "Great Books Program". Monterey Peninsula College. Retrieved 2016-03-25.
- "Shimer College Announces an Articulation Agreement with Monterey Peninsula College". Shimer College. 2013-11-14. Retrieved 2016-03-25.
- Hennessey, Virginia (July 30, 2013). "Jimmy Panetta following in father Leon's footsteps". San Jose Mercury News. Retrieved November 1, 2016.
- Goldenbach, Alan (September 28, 2007). "After NFL's First Prayer, Religion Touched Down". Washington Post. Retrieved 2010-04-25.