Montezuma Creek, Utah
|Founded by||Peter Shirts|
|• Total||12.5 sq mi (32.4 km2)|
|• Land||12.1 sq mi (31.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.1 km2)|
|Elevation||4,423 ft (1,348 m)|
|• Density||41.8/sq mi (16.2/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-7 (Mountain (MST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-6 (MDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1430435|
Montezuma Creek also is the center of education of about 500 Navajos in the area. Schools in the area include Montezuma Creek Elementary School and Whitehorse Junior/Senior High School, both a part of the San Juan School District.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 12.5 square miles (32.4 km2), of which 12.1 square miles (31.4 km2) is land and 0.4 square mile (1.1 km2) (3.27%) is water.
|Source: U.S. Census Bureau|
As of the census of 2000, there were 507 people, 117 households, and 100 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 41.8 people per square mile (16.2/km2). There were 170 housing units at an average density of 14.0/sq mi (5.4/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 96.06% Native American, 2.76% White, 0.39% from other races, and 0.79% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.18% of the population.
There were 117 households, out of which 61.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.7% were married couples living together, 10.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 13.7% were non-families. 12.0% of all households were made up of individuals, and 2.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 4.33 and the average family size was 4.75.
In the CDP, the population was spread out, with 44.6% under the age of 18, 9.5% from 18 to 24, 27.6% from 25 to 44, 16.2% from 45 to 64, and 2.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 21 years. For every 100 females, there were 97.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.3 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $29,375, and the median income for a family was $30,208. Males had a median income of $27,292 versus $15,417 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $6,920. About 31.2% of families and 33.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 23.1% of those under age 18 and 100.0% of those age 65 or over.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Montezuma Creek, Utah
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- San Juan School District
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP (INDEX): Montezuma Creek CDP, UT." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on April 27, 2017. Pages: 1, 2, 3.
- Home. Whitehorse High School. Retrieved on April 27, 2017. "State Highway #162, PO Box 660, Montezuma Creek, Utah 84534"
- Montezuma Creek Elementary School. Retrieved on April 27, 2017. "State Highway #162, Montezuma Creek, Utah 84534"
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Aneth CDP, UT." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on April 27, 2017.
- Montezuma Creek, UT, 7.5 Minute Topographic Quadrangle, USGS, 1982
- "Census of Population and Housing". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved November 18, 2011.
Media related to Montezuma Creek, Utah at Wikimedia Commons