Montferland Run is an annual 15-kilometres road running competition held in 's-Heerenberg, Montferland, Netherlands. It was first organised in 1996 and typically takes place on the first Sunday in December. The 2010 edition of the race was cancelled due to severe weather conditions.
Unlike many elite level road races, the course for the Montferland Run is a difficult, hilly one which does not easily allow for internationally fast times. The start and finish point of the race is in the old town area of 's-Heerenberg. The course has traces a circuit through the Montferland Forest and passes the small, nearby villages of Stokkum, Beek and Zeddam. The race includes both elite athlete and fun runners, and there is also a shorter 7.5 km race. In order to preserve the surrounding environment and retain the character of the races, the competition is limited to 3500 entries per year.
The Montferland Run is one of the fastest 15 km races in the world. Many top national and international athletes have competed in ’s-Heerenberg, including: Kamiel Maase, Abdi Nageeye, Khalid Khannouchi, Reuben Kosgei, Richard Limo, Kenenisa Bekele, Abel Kirui, Geoffrey Mutai, Wilson Kipsang, Stephen Kiprotich, Dennis Kimetto, Constantina Dita, Edna Kiplagat, Lornah Kiplagat, Meseret Defar and of course Haile Gebrselassie and Paula Radcliffe.
The course records for the 15 km race are held by East African athletes: Geoffrey Mutai of Kenya ran the men's record of 42:25 minutes in 2012 and Ethiopian Bezunesh Bekele's run of 48:32 minutes in 2005 is the best women's time.
The course was previously sponsored by the Wincanton Group and its current sponsor (since 2010) is JCL Logistics.
Key: Course record
- Zevenheuvelenloop, another prominent 15K race in the Netherlands
- Race Results Weekly’s Latest Event And News Roundup. Competitor Group (2011-12-01). Retrieved on 2011-12-04.
- Parcours (Dutch). Montferland Run. Retrieved on 2011-12-04.
- Montferland Run – A Short History. Montferland Run (2010). Retrieved on 2011-12-04.
- van Hemert, Wim (2011-12-04). Langat and Afework the big winners in 's Heerenberg. IAAF. Retrieved on 2011-12-06.
- Foreign runners. Montferland Run. Retrieved on 2011-12-04.
- List of winners
- Historie. Montferland Run. Retrieved on 2011-12-04.