This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013)
|• Mayor (2020–2026)||Hervé Planchenault|
|5.71 km2 (2.20 sq mi)|
|• Density||510/km2 (1,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||98–183 m (322–600 ft)|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Montfort-l'Amaury (French pronunciation: [mɔ̃fɔʁ lamoʁi]) is a commune in the Yvelines department in the Île-de-France region, north central France. It is located 20 km (12 mi) north of Rambouillet. The name comes from Amaury I de Montfort, the first seigneur (lord) of Montfort.
Montfort-l'Amaury lies north of the Rambouillet Forest. It is located at the foot of low hills, at about 130 m above sea level.
King Robert II built a castle in 996 in the hills of Montfort. Montfort-l'Amaury was the stronghold of the Montfort family from the start of the 11th century. Amaury I built the ramparts.
The Comté de Montfort was related to the Duchy of Brittany following the marriage of Yolande de Dreux-Montfort with Arthur of Brittany in 1294. It returned to the crown of France when Brittany became a part of France under Francis I. The castle was destroyed by the English during the Hundred Years' War.
Sites of interest
- Ruins of the castle
- Maison de Maurice Ravel, which is now a museum. Maurice Ravel lived here from 1921 until his death.
- Château de Groussay, built in the 19th century
- Jean Anouilh, dramatist
- Colette Darfeuil, actress
- Henri George Doll, scientist
- Pierre Dupuis (1610–1682), painter
- Jean Monnet, architect of European Unity
- Simon de Montfort, 6th Earl of Leicester (born in the castle, 1208)
- Maurice Ravel, composer
- Charles Aznavour, singer
- Ambroise Roux (1921-1999), CEO of Compagnie générale d'électricité (later known as Alcatel) from 1970 to 1981, lived and died in Montfort-l'Amaury.
- Omar Sy, actor
- Nickenich, Germany
- "Répertoire national des élus: les maires" (in French). data.gouv.fr, Plateforme ouverte des données publiques françaises. 4 May 2022.
- "Populations légales 2020". The National Institute of Statistics and Economic Studies. 29 December 2022.
- Population en historique depuis 1968, INSEE
- La maison-musée Maurice Ravel, Ville de Montfort-l’Amaury.
- "Obituary: Ambroise Roux". The Independent. 9 April 1999. Retrieved 16 April 2017.