Montgomery and the Alberta Children's Hospital
|• Mayor||Naheed Nenshi|
|• Administrative body||Calgary City Council|
|• Councillor||Ward Sutherland|
|Elevation||1,100 m (3,600 ft)|
|• Average Income||$42,795|
|Website||Montgomery Community Association|
Montgomery is a residential neighbourhood in the northwest quadrant of Calgary, Alberta. Its boundaries are Shaganappi Trail to the east, 32nd Avenue and Market Mall to the north, and the Bow River to the south and west. Immediately across the river to the west is the community of Bowness, itself a town until being annexed by Calgary in 1964.
Montgomery was originally established as a community in 1911. In 1943, it was renamed to Montgomery, named after Field Marshal Bernard Law Montgomery, 1st Viscount Montgomery of Alamein, a celebrated British military leader who played an important role in World War I and World War II. On December 24, 1957, Montgomery incorporated as a town, but changed to village status less than four months later on April 15, 1958. The village was eventually absorbed by the City of Calgary on August 15, 1963 via amalgamation.
In the City of Calgary's 2012 municipal census, Montgomery had a population of 3,860 living in 1,839 dwellings, a 4.7% increase from its 2011 population of 3,686. With a land area of 3 km2 (1.2 sq mi), it had a population density of 1,290/km2 (3,300/sq mi) in 2012.
Residents in this community had a median household income of $42,795 in 2000, and there were 24.7% low income residents living in the neighbourhood. As of 2000, 18.7% of the residents were immigrants. A proportion of 11.4% of the buildings were condominiums or apartments, and 32.8% of the housing was used for renting.
- "Calgary Elections". City of Calgary. 2017. Retrieved November 12, 2017.
- City of Calgary (2006). "Montgomery Community Statistics" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2008-04-11. Retrieved 2007-05-10. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Federation of Calgary Communities. "Montgomery Community Association". Retrieved 2007-05-23.
- City of Calgary Planning (2005). "Montgomery Area Redevelopment Plan" (PDF). Retrieved 2007-05-11.[dead link]
- Ninth Census of Canada, 1951. SP-7, Population: Unincorporated villages and hamlets. Dominion Bureau of Statistics. pp. 55–57.
- Census of Canada, 1956. Population of unincorporated villages and settlements. Dominion Bureau of Statistics. p. 57.
- "Table 6: Population by census subdivisions, 1901–1961". 1961 Census of Canada. Series 1.1: Historical, 1901–1961. Volume I: Population. Ottawa: Dominion Bureau of Statistics. 1963. p. 6.77–6.83.
- "2012 Civic Census Results" (PDF). City of Calgary. 2012. Retrieved February 4, 2013.
- "Community Boundaries" (Esri shapefile). City of Calgary. Retrieved February 5, 2013.
- City of Calgary (2004). "Ward 1 and 7 Profile". Retrieved 2007-05-10.[dead link]