Montgomery Oliver Koelsch
|M. Oliver Koelsch|
|Senior Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit|
January 31, 1976 – September 1, 1992
|Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit|
September 23, 1959 – January 31, 1976
|Appointed by||Dwight D. Eisenhower|
|Preceded by||James Fee|
|Succeeded by||Blaine Anderson|
March 5, 1912|
|Died||September 1, 1992
|Resting place||ashes scattered in Idaho |
|Spouse(s)||Virginia Daley Koelsch
(m. 1937–1992, his death)
|Children||1 son, 2 daughters|
|Alma mater||University of Washington,
B.A. 1932, LL.B. 1935
Born in Boise, Idaho, Koelsch received a B.A. in history from the University of Washington in Seattle in 1932 and an LL.B. from its School of Law in 1935. He was an attorney in private practice in Idaho in Boise from 1936 to 1950 and served as assistant prosecutor for Ada County from 1939 to 1945. Koelsch then served as a state judge in the third district from 1951 to 1959, filling a vacancy after his father Charles (1872–1965) retired from the bench. 
In 1959, the U.S. Court of Appeals nominated Koelsch for the Ninth Circuit by President Dwight D. Eisenhower on September 12 to a seat vacated by James Fee. He was confirmed as a federal judge by the U.S. Senate on September 14, and received his commission on September 23, 1959. He assumed senior status on January 31, 1976, and served in that capacity for over 16 years, until his death in Seattle at age 80 on September 1, 1992.
- "Koelsch, Virginia Daley". San Francisco: SF Gate. obituary. June 8, 2001. Retrieved September 20, 2015.
- "M. Oliver Koelsch, Federal Appeals Judge". Seattle Times. Associated Press. September 5, 1992. Retrieved September 20, 2015.
- "M. Oliver Koelsch, federal appeals judge since 1959". Los Angeles Times. September 6, 1992. Retrieved September 20, 2015.
- "Sportsman, Animal Advocate, and District Judge Charles F. Koelsch". South Fork Companion. June 21, 2015. Retrieved September 20, 2015.
- "Senate approves Idahoan as judge". Spokesman-Review. Spokane, Washington. September 15, 1959. p. 6.
- "Judge congratulated". Spokesman-Review. Spokane, Washington. (photo). September 17, 1959. p. 6.
- Montgomery Oliver Koelsch at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Montgomery Oliver Koelsch at Find a Grave
James Alger Fee
|Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
J. Blaine Anderson