Montmorency Falls in the summer.
|Location||Quebec City, Quebec, Canada|
|Total height||84 m (276 ft)|
|Number of drops||2|
The falls are located on the boundary between the borough of Beauport, and Boischatel, about 12 km (7.5 mi) from the heart of old Quebec City. The area surrounding the falls is protected within the Montmorency Falls Park (French: Parc de la Chute-Montmorency). The falls are at the mouth of the Montmorency River where it drops over the cliff shore into the Saint Lawrence River, opposite the western end of the Île d'Orleans. The waterfalls are 83 m (272') tall, a full 30 m (99') higher than Niagara Falls.
Access and tourism
There are staircases that allow visitors to view the falls from several different perspectives. A suspension bridge over the crest of the falls provides access to both sides of the park. There is also an aerial tram (Funitel) that carries passengers between the base and the top of the falls. In the summer the park hosts an international fireworks competition with the falls as a backdrop.
During summer months, the falls give off a yellow glow due to high iron content in the waterbed.
The Ice Hotel was located at Montmorency Falls for its first year.
In popular culture
- Réseau Sépaq, Parc de la Chute-Montmorency Historic Site brochure, 2003.
- Professor Steven Dutch, Natural and Applied Sciences, University of Wisconsin - Green Bay (19 January 2007). "Montmorency Falls, Quebec". Virtual Field Trips. Archived from the original (11500px) on 28 May 2009. Retrieved 2008-11-09. highest in the province of Quebec
- Québec, Office du tourisme de. "Parc de la Chute-Montmorency". Official Web Site - Québec City Tourism. Retrieved 2018-07-20.
- Fireworks at Montmorency Falls
- "Montmorency Falls - Quebec City 101". Quebec City 101. Retrieved 2016-03-19.
- Whispering City on IMDb
- "Whispering City (1947)". Retrieved 2012-01-19.
- 31. Sleep and Poetry. Keats, John. 1884. The Poetical Works of John Keats. Bartleby.com. Retrieved on 2013-07-12.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chute Montmorency.|