Montreal City Hall
|Montreal City Hall|
Hôtel de Ville de Montréal (French)
Montreal City Hall, 2012
|Address||275, rue Notre-Dame Est|
|Design and construction|
Alexander Cowper Hutchison
The five-story Montreal City Hall (French: Hôtel de Ville de Montréal) is the seat of local government in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. It was designed by architects Henri-Maurice Perrault and Alexander Cowper Hutchison, and built between 1872 and 1878 in the Second Empire style. It is located in Old Montreal, between Place Jacques-Cartier and the Champ de Mars, at 275 Notre-Dame Street East. The closest Metro station is Champ-de-Mars, on the Orange Line.
As one of the best examples of the Second Empire style in Canada, and the first city hall to have been constructed in the country solely for municipal administration, it was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1984.
History and architecture
Construction on the building began in 1872 and was completed in 1878. The original building was gutted by fire in March 1922, leaving only the outer wall and destroying many of the city's historic records. The architect Louis Parant was commissioned for the reconstruction, who decided to build an entirely new building with a self-supporting steel structure built inside the shell of the ruins. This new building was modelled after the city hall of the French city of Tours. Other changes included a remodelling of the Mansard roof into a new Beaux-Arts inspired model, with a copper roof instead of the original slate tiles.
- Jean-Claude Marsan (1 September 1990). Montreal in Evolution: Historical Analysis of the Development of Montreal's Architecture and Urban Environment. McGill-Queen's Press - MQUP. pp. 214–. ISBN 978-0-7735-8037-4.
- Access Guides; Access Guides Staff (1994). Montréal/Québec City Access. Access Press. ISBN 978-0-06-277079-0.
- "Montreal City Hall". Directory of Designations of National Historic Significance of Canada. Parks Canada. Retrieved August 7, 2011.[permanent dead link]
- Montreal City Hall. Canadian Register of Historic Places. Retrieved August 7, 2011.
- Rémillard, 80.
- City of Montreal Web site (in French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Montreal City Hall.|
- Rémillard, Francois. Montreal architecture: A Guide to Styles and Buildings. Montreal: Meridian Press, 1990.
- Montreal City Hall—Hôtel de ville de Montréal
- Photograph:Montreal City Hall, 1875 - McCord Museum
- Photograph:Montreal City Hall, about 1878 - McCord Museum
- Photograph:Montreal City Hall, 1896 - McCord Museum
- Photograph:Montreal City Hall, 1913 - McCord Museum