|Full name||CF Montréal U23|
|Head coach||Patrick Viollat|
|Active teams of CF Montréal|
CF Montréal U23, formerly Montreal Impact U23, is a Canadian soccer team based in Montreal, Quebec, Canada that plays in Ligue1 Québec. They are the reserve club of Major League Soccer club CF Montréal and represent the highest team of the CF Montréal Academy. Previously known as Montreal Impact U23, in 2014, they played in the Premier Development League, the fourth tier. The team was replaced the following year with FC Montreal in the professional second-tier USL Pro. In 2020, it was announced that the U23 team would be re-started for the 2021 season.
From 2010 to 2012, the Montreal Impact Academy fielded their U21 team in the Canadian Soccer League, which was recognized as a tier 3 league in the Canadian soccer league system. However, the team withdrew from the league prior to the 2013 season, as the Canadian Soccer Association de-sanctioned the league as the CSA board of directors adopted a new soccer structure in Canada and also due to allegations of a match-fixing scandal.
In 2014, the club decided to re-brand the team as a U23 team and entered the team into the Premier Development League, in the fourth tier of the United States soccer league system. They played their first match on 17 May against the Westchester Flames, which they won by a score of 4–0. They finished the season in fourth place in the Northeast Division.
In 2015, the Impact decided to form a reserve professional team in the second tier USL Pro called FC Montreal. As a result, the PDL team was disbanded with most of the players moving to the new pro reserve team.
The club announced that they would reform a U23 team for the 2021 season. with Patrice Bernier serving as post-formation supervisor, where he will work primarily with the first team players in the U23 team. Throughout the 2021 season, the U23s played friendlies against the teams in the Première ligue de soccer du Québec. They joined the PLSQ as formal members in 2022.
Year by year
|2014||4||Premier Development League||7–2–5||4th, Northeast||Did not qualify||—|
|2022||3||Première ligue de soccer du Québec||12–2–8||6th||—||Did not qualify|
|2023||3||Ligue1 Québec||12–4–6||5th||—||First Round|
Players and staff
|2||MF||David Mavakala||DR Congo|
|7||FW||Guesly Alexandre||United States|
|11||MF||Medgy Alexandre||United States|
|17||MF||Loïc Sany Kong||Cameroon|
|29||DF||Ismaël Yeo||Ivory Coast|
Players with multiple nationalities
Notable former players
The following players have either played at the professional or international level, either before or after playing for the CF Montreal U23 team:
- "The Montreal Impact Academy unveils its 2010 calendar and roster". Montreal Impact. 4 May 2010.
- "The Impact U21 will not play in the Canadian Soccer League in 2013". Montreal Impact. 28 March 2013.
- Sabetti, Nick (24 January 2014). "With five new teams, the Montreal Impact academy is now fully formed". Goal. Archived from the original on 5 March 2016.
- "Sport Dispute Resolution Centre of Canada (SDRCC) SDRCC 13-0194 Canadian Soccer League (CSL) (Claimant) and Canadian Soccer Association (CSA)" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 13 February 2014. Retrieved 15 December 2017.
- "The Canadian Soccer League is no longer sanctioned by the CSA". insoccer.ca. 9 October 2016. Archived from the original on 9 October 2016. Retrieved 18 August 2019.
- Benzaza, Sofiane (3 December 2013). "Montreal Impact to field PDL team in 2014". Mount Royal Soccer.
- Reis, Natasha (16 May 2014). "Impact U23 set to kick off inaugural PDL season". Montreal Impact.
- "Academy Report: Impact U23 successful in PDL debut". Montreal Impact. 21 May 2014.
- Strizzi, Joey (10 November 2014). "Impact U23s hold annual end of season awards ceremony". Montreal Impact.
- "A new team in USL Pro". Montreal Impact. 4 September 2014.
- Vance, Paul (4 September 2020). "Impact to Introduce U23 Team for 2021 Season". Mount Royal Soccer.
- Sigal, Jonathan (5 September 2020). "Montreal Impact form U-23 team as part of academy restructuring". Major League Soccer.
- "The Impact changes the sporting structure of its Academy". CF Montréal. 4 September 2020.
- Duchesneau, Frédérick (12 May 2021). "Professeur Ibrir" [Professor Ibrir]. La Presse.
- Defly, Elom (20 January 2022). "L'équipe réserve du CF Montréal joindra la PLSQ" [The Reserve Team of CF Montreal will join the PLSQ]. PLSQ (in French).
- "CF Montréal reserve team to join the PLSQ". CF Montréal. 20 January 2022.
- "2️⃣6️⃣ joueurs dont 1️⃣5️⃣ Québécois et 9️⃣ Montréalais. Our reserve team roster for the 2023 @Ligue1QC". twitter.com. Académie du CF Montréal. Retrieved 5 May 2023.
- "CF Montréal's reserve team kicks off its second season in Ligue1 Québec". cfmontreal.com. CF Montréal. Retrieved 6 May 2023.