Montrose station (CTA Brown Line)
|Chicago 'L' rapid transit station|
|Location||1817 West Montrose Avenue|
Chicago, Illinois 60613
|Owned by||Chicago Transit Authority|
|Platforms||2 Side platforms|
|Opened||May 18, 1907|
|Passengers (2017)||872,153 0.9%|
|Rank||82 out of 143|
Montrose is a station on the Chicago Transit Authority's 'L' system. It is situated between the Damen and Irving Park stations on the Brown Line, which runs between Albany Park on Chicago's Northwest Side and downtown Chicago. It is an elevated station with two side platforms located at 1817 West Montrose Avenue in the Ravenswood neighborhood of Chicago's Lincoln Square community area.
Montrose is situated on W. Montrose Avenue, between its intersections with N. Damen Avenue and N. Ashland Avenue. The station is located in the Lincoln Square community area of Chicago; the area surrounding the station consists of a mixture commercial, residential and manufacturing areas.
Montrose Station opened in 1907 as part of the Northwestern Elevated Railroad's Ravenswood line. In CTA's skip-stop service on the Brown Line, instituted in 1949, Montrose was originally an "AB" station, but it was changed to "B" station in 1973, and remained that way until the CTA discontinued skip-stop service in 1995.
In 2006, the CTA began the Brown Line Capacity Expansion Project, which involved the renovation and reconstruction of all Brown Line stations to allow eight car trains to run on the line and to ensure that all stations met Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements. Montrose Station closed between December 2, 2006, and November 26, 2007, and was completely rebuilt.
Montrose is part of the CTA's Brown Line, which runs between Albany Park and downtown Chicago. It is the seventh inbound station and is situated between the Damen and Irving Park stations. Brown Line trains serve Montrose between 4:00 am and 1:30 am on weekdays and Saturdays, and between 6:30 am and 12:20 am on Sundays; trains operate roughly every 3 to 10 minutes during rush hour, with longer headways of up to 15 minutes at night. 880,862 passengers boarded at Montrose in 2014.
- 78 Montrose
Notes and references
- "New 'L' Line Operated". Chicago Daily Tribune. May 19, 1907. p. 11.
- "Annual Ridership Report – Calendar Year 2017" (PDF). Chicago Transit Authority, Ridership Analysis and Reporting. January 31, 2018. Retrieved July 29, 2018.
- City of Chicago Zoning Map (Map). Chicago Department of Zoning. 2012.
- Montrose. Chicago-"L".org (URL accessed October 17, 2006).
- "Montrose". Countdown to a New Brown. Chicago Transit Authority. Retrieved 2012-06-16.
- "Montrose Station Timetable" (PDF). Chicago Transit Authority. Retrieved 2012-06-16.
- "Monthly Ridership Report – December 2014" (PDF). Chicago Transit Authority Ridership Analysis and Reporting. March 5, 2015. Retrieved 19 April 2015.
Media related to Montrose (CTA Brown Line) at Wikimedia Commons