Montrose Christian School
|Montrose Christian School|
|5100 Randolph Road
Rockville, Maryland 20852
|Motto||Shaping Leaders... Impacting the World!|
|Website||Montrose Christian School website|
Montrose Christian School is a K-12 private school in Rockville, Maryland, operated by the Montrose Baptist Church, Maryland's second largest Southern Baptist church. It educates around 370 students. Its first Senior High School class graduated in 1986.
The history of Montrose Christian School is intimately connected with its parent organization, Montrose Baptist Church. While Montrose Baptist Church had established a nursery school in 1968 and a daycare in 1971, it recognized an opportunity to further its evangelical mission through the development of a full-time day school. On April 30, 1977, Montrose Christian School was officially incorporated in Rockville, Maryland. Starting with an inaugural kindergarten class of five children, it quickly expanded the next year to include Grades 1-4. During each subsequent year, another grade or two was added until eventually in May 1986, it graduated its first class of High School students.
The school has been recognized for its athletic accomplishments, particularly for those of its basketball team, which has been successful at recruiting players across the United States and around the world to play in Rockville. Kevin Durant's transfer to the school led USA Today to name Montrose its preseason pick for the top spot on its Super 25 rankings of the top high school basketball teams in 2005-06.
The school has appeared regularly on USA Today's Super 25 national rankings, finishing the season ranked 25th in 2000-01, 9th in 2002-03, 19th in 2003-04, 19th in 2005-06 and 22nd in 2006-07.
- Miguel "Ali" Berdiel (1983–), is a Puerto Rican professional basketball player.
- Jason Conley (1981–), the first freshman ever to lead NCAA Division I in scoring.
- Kevin Durant (1988–), basketball player for the NBA's Golden State Warriors.
- Linas Kleiza (1985–), basketball player for the NBA's Toronto Raptors.
- K.J. Matsui, guard on the Columbia University basketball team, who was the first Japanese born NCAA Division I player.
- Greivis Vasquez (1987–), guard on the University of Maryland basketball team, who played for the Venezuela national team in the FIBA America Championships, and now plays for the NBA's Milwaukee Bucks.
- Terrence Ross (1991-), guard on the Toronto Raptors. He attended Montrose Christian for his junior year.
- Justin Anderson (basketball), Small Forward for the Dallas Mavericks.
- Zengerle, Jason. "The Portable High-School Hoops Factory", The New York Times, February 6, 2000. Accessed December 1, 2007.
- "Montrose Christian School", Great Schools, accessed 2 December 2007
- "History of Montrose Baptist Church", accessed 2 November 2010
- "History of Montrose Christian School", accessed 2 November 2010
- Aiken, Ben. "Adding 6-10 star boosts Montrose Christian", USA Today, November 14, 2005. Accessed December 1, 2007. "Durant's transfer pushed Montrose Christian to the top of USA TODAY's preseason Super 25 rankings."
- "Super 25 boys basketball rankings", USA Today, December 16, 2001. Accessed December 1, 2007.
- Final 2002-03 Super 25 boys' basketball rankings", USA Today, March 21, 2003. Accessed December 1, 2007.
- "Super 25 boys' basketball rankings", USA Today, March 30, 2004. Accessed December 1, 2007.
- Lawlor, Christopher. "Final Super 25 boys' basketball rankings", USA Today, March 27, 2006. Accessed December 1, 2007.
- Lawlor, Christopher. "Super 25: Virginia's Oak Hill Academy finishes on top", USA Today. Accessed December 1, 2007.
- "Jason Conley player profile". mutigers.com. CBS Interactive. 2010. Retrieved 2 June 2010.
- Picker, David. "In the N.B.A.'s Age Game, Colleges Are Big Winners", The New York Times, April 22, 2006. Accessed December 1, 2007. "Durant, a forward at Montrose Christian School in Rockville, Md., has heard the endless chatter about where he would have been selected in the N.B.A. draft in June."
- National Basketball Association . Accessed March 13, 2010.
- Tysiac, Ken."Q&A with Maryland guard Greivis Vasquez", Sporting News, November 29, 2007. Accessed December 1, 2007."Q: What was Kevin Durant like when you played with him at Montrose Christian?" Archived December 20, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.