Montserrat Figueras in 2010
|Birth name||Montserrat Figueras i García|
15 March 1942|
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
|Died||23 November 2011
Cerdanyola del Vallès, Catalonia, Spain
Figueras was born 15 March 1942 in Barcelona, Spain. After initially training as an actress she began studying early singing techniques in 1966, together with her sister Pilar Figueras, and developed an approach and technique for singing early music which combined historical fidelity with vitality.
In 1974 she and Jordi Savall, her husband since 1968, Lorenzo Alpert and Hopkinson Smith formed Hespèrion XX (Later: Hespèrion XXI), an early music ensemble. Figueras and her husband also founded the groups La Capella Reial de Catalunya and Le Concert des Nations.
- Muere la soprano Montserrat Figueras, La Vanguardia, 23/11/2011
- Notice of her death, at Alia Vox, her recording label Archived 2011-11-27 at the Wayback Machine.
- Notice of Figueras' death with 1942 year of birth
- Official website of Montserrat Figueras, Jordi Savall and Hespèrion XXI
- Montserrat Figueras - Telegraph
- Lawrence-King, Andrew (7 December 2011). "Montserrat Figueras obituary: Catalan soprano and specialist in baroque and earlier music". Guardian, accessed 22 March 2012.
- Mor la soprano Montserrat Figueras
- El funeral de Montserrat Figueras, La Vanguardia, 23/11/2011