Montserrat (Montse) Fuentes is a Spanish statistician and academic administrator, the president of St. Edward's University in Austin, Texas. She is also the Coordinating Editor and Applications and Case Studies Editor for the Journal of the American Statistical Association. In her research, she applies spatial analysis to atmospheric science.
Education and career
Fuentes earned two bachelor's degrees in 1993 from the University of Valladolid, one in music and piano, and a second in mathematics and statistics. She completed her Ph.D. in statistics in 1998 from the University of Chicago. Her dissertation, supervised by Michael L. Stein, was Prediction of Random Fields and Modeling Spatialtemporal Satellite Data.
After visiting positions at the Joint Research Center of the European Union in Italy, AT&T Labs, and the National Center for Atmospheric Research, she joined the North Carolina State University (NCSU) faculty in 1998. At NCSU she became the James M. Goodnight Distinguished Professor of Statistics and Chair of the Department of Statistics before moving to Virginia Commonwealth University as Dean of the College of Humanities and Sciences in 2016. In 2019, she was named Executive Vice President and Provost at the University of Iowa, and in late 2020 she was named president of St. Edward's University.
Awards and honors
Fuentes became a Fellow of the American Statistical Association in 2008. She is an elected member of the International Statistical Institute. She became the James M. Goodnight Distinguished Professor at NCSU in 2015. In 2017, she was one of three winners of the Medal of Distinguished Achievement of the Environmental Statistics Section of the American Statistical Association.
- ^ "Editorial board", Journal of the American Statistical Association, Taylor&Francis, retrieved 2017-10-28
- ^ Q&A with Montse Fuentes, Journal of the American Statistical Association Editor, Applications and Case Studies section, American Statistical Association, retrieved 2017-10-28
- ^ Shipman, Matt (August 13, 2014), This Is What Science Looks Like at NC State: Montse Fuentes, retrieved 2017-10-28
- ^ a b c d Curriculum vitae (PDF), Virginia Commonwealth University, 2016, retrieved 2017-10-28
- ^ Montserrat Fuentes at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- ^ Montse Fuentes, Virginia Commonwealth University, retrieved 2017-10-28
- ^ Montserrat Fuentes named UI executive vice president and provost, The University of Iowa, 2019-03-05, retrieved 2019-03-05
- ^ Price, Asher (December 4, 2020), "St. Edward's University names new president", Austin American-Statesman
- ^ ENVR Awards (Distinguished Achievement Medal and Early Investigator Awards), American Statistical Association, retrieved 2021-01-18
- Montserrat Fuentes publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Living people
- American statisticians
- Spanish statisticians
- Women statisticians
- University of Valladolid alumni
- North Carolina State University faculty
- Virginia Commonwealth University faculty
- Fellows of the American Statistical Association
- Elected Members of the International Statistical Institute
- Spatial statisticians
- Environmental statisticians