Montville Township, Geauga County, Ohio
|Montville Township, Geauga County, Ohio|
Location of Montville Township in Geauga County
|• Total||24.5 sq mi (63.5 km2)|
|• Land||24.4 sq mi (63.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||1,289 ft (393 m)|
|• Density||81.3/sq mi (31.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086156|
Located in the northeastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Thompson Township - north
- Trumbull Township, Ashtabula County - northeast corner
- Hartsgrove Township, Ashtabula County - east
- Windsor Township, Ashtabula County - southeast corner
- Huntsburg Township - south
- Claridon Township - southwest corner
- Hambden Township - west
- LeRoy Township, Lake County - northwest corner
The Cuyahoga River begins in Montville Township.
Name and history
Statewide, the only other Montville Township is located in Medina County.
The township includes a house that was once a stop on the Underground Railroad. The house still stands on the southeast corner of the intersection of U.S. Route 6 and State Route 528.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
Montville Township formely fell under the Ledgemont School District but was absorbed by the Berkshire School District in Burton.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Geauga County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.