Montville Township, Medina County, Ohio
|Montville Township, Medina County, Ohio|
Municipalities of Medina County, Ohio
|• Total||21.0 sq mi (54.4 km2)|
|• Land||20.9 sq mi (54.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||965 ft (294 m)|
|• Total||11,185 (2,010 Census)|
|• Density||258.4/sq mi (99.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086602|
Located in the central part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Medina Township - north
- Granger Township - northeast corner
- Sharon Township - east
- Wadsworth Township - southeast corner
- Guilford Township - south
- Westfield Township - southwest corner
- Lafayette Township - west
- York Township - northwest corner
Statewide, the only other Montville Township is located in Geauga County.
The township was established in 1820, less than two years after the first settlers arrived.
- 1818: Land sold to General Arisarchus Champion
- 1819: Austin Badger and Samuel Brown settled on land
- 1820: Montville Township organized
- 1823: Saw mill constructed by Badger
- 1829: First religious service at Episcopal Church
- 1830: Methodist Church meets in home and school classrooms
- 1844: Methodist Church built
- 1850: General Store opened
- 1873: Musical convention held at Episcopal Church
- 1879: Pioneer monument of Farifax Smith erected
- 1890: Northeastern Ohio Railroad built crossing northeastern Montville
- 1923: All schoolhouses consolidated to one elementary school; high school students bused to Medina
- 1932: Montville Grange organized
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. As of 2012, Ronald Bischof, Jeff Bradon, and Sally Albrecht are members of the board of trustees with Bischof serving as chairman and Brandon serving as vice chairman.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Medina County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "The History of Montville Township, Medina County, Ohio". Montville Township. 2004. Archived from the original on February 4, 2012.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- Township Officials at WebCite
- Poole, Jake (December 29, 2011). "New Montville Township digs offer state-of-the-art facilities for police, fire personnel". Sun News (Cleveland.com).