Monty Python's Life of Brian (album)
|Monty Python's Life of Brian|
|Soundtrack album by Monty Python|
8 October 1979 (US)|
9 November 1979 (UK)
|Recorded||1978-1979 (soundtrack) & August 1979 (studio material) at Redwood Recording Studios, London|
|Label||Warner Bros. Records|
|Monty Python chronology|
Monty Python's Life of Brian is the second soundtrack album by Monty Python, released in 1979 alongside the film of the same name. It contains scenes from the film interrupted by linking sections performed by Eric Idle and Graham Chapman, who also acted as producers following an aborted attempt at a soundtrack album by Michael Palin. The album opens with a brief rendition of "Hava Nagila" on Scottish bagpipes, which had earlier been considered for use in a scene later cut from the film.
In common with the controversy surrounding the film, the album was banned in Ireland after Father Brian D'Arcy highlighted how it had worked its way through a loophole in the country's censorship laws, claiming "Anybody who buys the record and finds it funny must have something wrong with their mentality". Nevertheless, the album reached No.63 in the UK album chart.
In 2006 a special edition CD added six bonus tracks comprising outtakes, demos and publicity material to the end of the album.
Part of the studio linking material was later used in the 2012 animated film A Liar's Autobiography: The Untrue Story of Monty Python's Graham Chapman.
- Brian Song
- The Wise Men at the Manger
- Brian Song (cont.)
- Sermon on the Mount (Big Nose)
- Stone Salesman
- You Mean You Were Raped? (Nortius Maximus)
- Revolutionaries in the Amphitheatre (Loretta)
- Romans Go Home
- What Have The Romans Ever Done For Us?
- Brian Before Pilate (Thwow Him to the Floor)
- Beard Salesman
- Brian's Prophecy
- The Hermit
- He's Not the Messiah, He's a Very Naughty Boy
- Pilate Sentences Brian
- Nisus Wettus
- Pilate with the Crowd (Welease Wodger)
- Nisus Wettus with the Gaolers
- Release Brian
- Not So Bad Once You're Up
- Revs Salute Brian
- Cheeky is Released
- "Look on the Bright Side of Life (All Things Dull and Ugly)"
2006 Bonus Tracks
- Otto Sketch
- Otto Song
- Otto Song Demo (Python Sings)
- Brian Song [Alternate Version]
- Radio Ad - Record Shop
- Radio Ad - Twice As Good
- Mills, Ted. Monty Python's Life of Brian at AllMusic
- Palin, M., Diaries 1969-1979: The Python Years, p.570
- Palin, M., Diaries 1969-1979: The Python Years, p.544
- Hewison, Robert: Monty Python: The Case Against, p.91, 1980, Eyre Methuen