This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Monument Mall shown within Tyne and Wear
|OS grid reference|
Monument Mall is a shopping centre in central Newcastle upon Tyne, England. Formerly owned by St Martins Property Group, it was acquired by the retail property company Hammerson for £28m in March 2011.
In December 2011, planning permission was granted to reconfigure the shopping mall to provide an additional 14,000 ft² of retail floor space, infill the atrium and walkways at all levels, and create eight well-configured ground floor unit shops with flexible floor plates and with basement trading potential. The refurbishment cost £15 million.
Since the refurbishment, all stores that were originally located in Monument Mall have closed, except for TK Maxx (which opened a new flagship store in November 2012) and the entrance to Fenwick (which was reopened in December 2013).
The refurbishment has attracted high-end brands to open stores here:
- Hugo Boss opened a 450m² store.
- The White Company opened a 420m² store.
- Fat Face opened a 490m² store.
- Reiss opened a 334m² flagship store.
- Michael Kors
- Rox Jewellery and watches, a Scottish brand, opened their first store in England, a 286m², two-floor store
- Jack Wills opened a 453m², two-floor flagship.
- A Jamie's Italian restaurant, a brand owned by chef Jamie Oliver.