List of Monster Rancher characters
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This is a list of the characters in the anime Monster Rancher.
- 1 Main characters
- 2 Secondary characters
- 3 Minor characters
- 4 Villains
- 5 Cast
- 6 References
The main characters of the Monster Rancher anime are the seven searchers, consisting of two humans and five monsters who share a strong bond of friendship. In the first two seasons of the show, they struggle against the evil forces of Moo and his army of baddies and search for the Phoenix, the only creature capable of purifying the bad monsters and reviving the lost discs scattered throughout the land. While they were initially unaware of this, each of the five monsters in the group bore a piece of the Phoenix's soul. The characters reappear in season three to combat the threat of the remaining baddies, and protect the mystery disc that Moo was sealed inside of after his defeat.
Genki is a 12-year-old good-hearted middle school boy and the leader of the group;and he truly cares for his friends and the monsters. He is very good at the game Monster Battle. After getting the Monster Rancher video game in the mail, he was transported to the Monster World. His goal is to turn all of the evil monsters into good monsters again. Determined, optimistic, and hopeful, Ginso directly fights enemy monsters using his roller blades arrived in the Monster World with im). He is also surprisingly strong for a 12-year- boy as been shown to be able to lift objects several times his own weight), although whether this is due to his own innate strength or because he is in the game world (thereby having been subjected to some game mechanic) is not known.
A 14-year-old girl who is on a quest to find the location of the ancient Monster called Phoenix. At the beginning of the series she is more sarcastic and witty like her game counterpart, but she becomes more withdrawn and calm as the series progresses. Her village was destroyed in Moo's first attack which was led by Naga. The attack killed Holly's grandfather and everyone else in the village, leaving only her and her monster Suezo alive. Holly uses a magical pendant called the Magic Stone to locate new Mystery Disks that contain monsters. Though she denies it at first, she learned that her father had become a vessel for the soul of the evil Moo. After the Phoenix and Moo destroyed each other, Holly went on another quest to find Moo's Mystery Disc to save her father from it. Unlike the others, she does not directly involve herself in combat, though she is capable of defending herself. In one instance, she threw an Evil Hare away from her and in another she uses her father's dagger to defend herself and an unconscious Genki, and she also once volunteered to fight in the coliseum against a skilled gladiator monster (although Suezo and Hare ended up taking her place). Holly is the only member of the rebel group that gets along with everyone. The rest of the group tends to fight among each other at times.
- For the Japanese dessert, see Mochi.
A little pink, duck-like monster who is Genki's tag team partner in many battles. Mocchi came into existence when Genki went to the shrine and unlocked his video game disk which turned out to be a Mystery Disk. Although Mocchi's initial actions indicated that he was a very young child, he soon became a great fighter and a valuable asset in the search for the Phoenix. Like Genki, Mocchi is very brave and good-hearted. When in battle, Mocchi can move very fast by rolling into a ball like an armadillo and bouncing. He can also unleash very powerful attacks, like Cherry Blossom Blizzard and Mocchi Cannon. At first, he can only say Mocchi like his Pokémon counterparts but eventually learns to talk human or like other monsters although he still says Mocchi at the end of his sentence/speech. Mocchi is the Phoenix's courage.
- Note - The method Genki unlocks Mocchi is identical to how you can gain him in Monster Rancher 2, i.e. using your game disc instead of a random disc.
A yellow monster with a huge single eye and upright tail. He is Holly's loyal monster retainer. Suezo serves as comic relief in many instances and can be obnoxious and loud-mouthed. He has amazing vision and can teleport himself and other objects, though it took a bit of practice to perfect this. Thus, eventually a very useful asset to the team. Suezo is the Phoenix's pride.
- For the Jewish folklore, see Golem.
A large powerful humanoid monster made of rocks. He moves slowly, but his punches and other attacks are destructive. Golem is a kind-hearted nature lover, but can fight with powerful techniques, like the Tornado attack, in which he launches bits and pieces of himself in a whirlwind formation. Because he cannot swim, he is afraid of water. Despite being the most powerful of the group, he would only resort to violence when the group is desperate or if Holly would be hurt. Golem is the Phoenix's kindness.
Tiger (Rygar in Japanese) is a blue horned wolf monster who is a feared thief and bandit known as "Tiger of the Wind". He was the leader of a pack of rogue tigers that were isolated from all humans. Eventually, he met Genki, but initially looked down upon Genki's optimistic and caring nature. Tiger's rough past gave him a cold view of life. However, after listening to Genki, he has learned to care more for others. A clan of Cows commanded by Moo killed off Tiger's pack, so he joined up with Genki's team in hopes of finding and defeating Moo. Tiger uses various swift attacks in battle, like firing electricity and using ice-based attacks. Tiger once had a younger brother named Gray Wolf who he lived with. As an orphan and eventually built a pack of mixed-breed Tigers. When Tiger first met Moo, the giant monster killed every last member of Tiger's pack and kidnapped Gray Wolf leaving him to die. Tiger is the Phoenix's anger.
Hare (Ham in Japanese) is a charismatic humanoid rabbit who acts as the strategist of the group and can be very cunning and devious. When first introduced, he was portrayed as a sneaky con-artist. Using the guise of wanting to help the searchers, Hare tried to steal the gang's valuables. Tiger did not initially trust him, but after Tiger forgave him, he joined the team. Although he was initially in it for the possible rewards, Hare eventually formed strong bonds of friendship with the others, and admitted his past faults. While he and Tiger still argued frequently, they too developed a sense of friendship.
While friendly towards others, Hare tends to be selfish and often gloats about his skills, but often prefers to flee from battle with more powerful opponents. His fighting style revolves around boxing, kicking, and flatulence (removed from the U.S. version). He is also known to use dirty tricks to get his opponent to drop their guard, which was prominently featured during his first battle with Tiger. Due to his past schemes, Hare is often reminded of his shifty past by his teammates (particularly Tiger). Due to his cunning nature, Hare eventually became the team planner and often devised battle strategies, rescue operations and even methods of retreat when necessary. Hare is the Phoenix's intelligence.
The Legendary Phoenix is a large ancient fire bird created to defeat Moo after he turned on his creators. Where Moo had the power to turn good monsters into bad ones, the Phoenix has the power to turn bad ones into good ones and resurrect lost monsters. During the battle, the Phoenix and Moo were evenly matched in strength, resulting in the scientists pulling one last attempt to stop Moo. They created a machine that separated both Moo and Phoenix's souls from their bodies. The Phoenix's soul however split into five, and became mystery disks holding different monsters (Mocchi, Suezo, Golem, Tiger and Hare). Four of these were brought to life in the years after the battle, while Mocchi only took a physical form after his spirit drew Genki from his world. The Phoenix's body was found frozen in ice near Jill's village. The searchers eventually discovered that Holly's magic stone had drawn the monsters together to restore the Phoenix. When it came to the final fight against Moo, the five monsters donated their aspects of the Phoenix to revive it so that it can defeat Moo. The Phoenix and Moo ended up destroying each other, but the five monsters were restored as Mystery Disks and Genki and Holly soon brought them back.
There are many other characters who appear over the course of the story, and are prominently featured in multiple episodes
Formerly one of Moo's Big Bad Four, Pixie left Moo after Genki opened her eyes to the truth of Moo's evil. Pixie is based on the pure-bred pixies depicted in the Monster Rancher video game. Her overall appearance is that of a slim young red-haired woman with a pair of leathery wings, two silver horns, a whip-like tail, and clawed hands and feet. Her usual garb is a reddish-pink bikini-like outfit with arm bands and leg bands. Pixie's disposition ranges from quiet and shrewd to level-headed and mature.
Pixie is one of the most physically powerful characters featured on the Monster Rancher series. In addition to seemingly superhuman strength and speed, Pixie can fly and generate massive energy surges and fire walls. Pixie came to play a semi-regular role on Monster Rancher, and helped Genki and his friends time and again until she was Moo mortally injured her and destroyed her wings. By the sacrifice of her follower Big Blue, Pixie was reborn as the Pixie-Golem hybrid "Granity", taking on an angelic appearance with feathery wings, green hair, and stone armor.
She would later resurface to deal with the threat of the remaining baddies, but was possessed by one of Durahan's minions and forced against her will to attack Genki's group. Although she proved more than a match for all seven of them, Genki's encouragement and Big Blue's presence within her body allowed her to overcome the mind control.
Voiced by: Hiroyuki Yokō (Japanese); Ward Perry (English)
An ice-carved giant whose is made of unmeltable ice rock and resembles Golem due to being a Golem/Tiger hybrid. He functions as Pixie's bodyguard and traveling companion. Although seemingly as cold as he appeared, he was truly loyal to Pixie and fought by her side no matter what she believed in. After Pixie's fatal injuries during her battle with Moo in his newly perfected body, Big Blue loved his master so much that he saves Pixie by fusing with her, turning her into Granity.
Gray Wolf is Tiger's younger brother who was made into a member of Moo's Big Bad Four. Although he was once like his brother, Gray Wolf was captured during a battle and the darkness of his heart was exploited by Moo, turning him into a Baddie. As a member of the Big Bad Four, Gray Wolf's army consisted of Black Worms, Mocks, Ebony, Undine, Salamanders, Centaur, Dragoon, Celious, Jaggernauts, and Cabalos. After many of his minions were defeated by his brother and the others, Gray Wolf fought his brother and was defeated when Tiger ran his baddie crest through with his horn.
Gray Wolf was later resurrected as a good monster by Nina and fought a rematch against Tiger in the World Cup Championship. The two subsequently parted on good terms.
Allan is a young human boy with a Worm as his monster partner. He wanted to join Moo after stealing the Mystery Disk that Holly was in the middle of unlocking. But after two of Seed Sisters double-crossed him and killed his Worm by draining its energy, he decided that he would fight against Moo after he killed the Seed Sisters. Although he used to be a cruel master to his monster, he changed after watching the Seed Sisters kill his Worm. In return for helping them get rid of the Seed Sisters, Genki and the searchers handed Allan a young Worm that they had unlocked from a Mystery Disk. Allan was later seen aboard Captain Horn's pirate ship helping him defeat Moo's Arrowheads and Jells. Allan made one last appearance in "Allan's Advice" where he, young Worm, and Allan's resurrected Worm gathering mystery disks to unlock and find good homes for.
A monolith monster who knows the history of Moo and everything else. He occasionally dozes off.
Leader of the Pirate Dragons. They helped Genki and Co. rescue Holly from Moo's castle. They later helped the searchers and Pixie fight Moo in order to prevent him from going near the area where the Phoenix's body lies.
Captain Horn is a pirate who traveled around the world with his crew of Rocky Suezos (Suezo/Golem hybrids), hunting for treasure. He resembles a pirate version of Suezo (He is a Suezo/Tiger hybrid). When he is first introduced into the series, the gang meets him at a port town where they are attacked by Moo's henchmen. In need of transportation across the sea, Genki's group asks him if they can ride aboard his ship. While he seems initially reluctant, Captain Horn proposes that he ferry the gang to the next island after being kissed by Holly. His crew ferries the searchers across the sea with Golem holding the mainmast of the ship, but the group is ambushed by an army of Zillas. While they are able to defeat the water-based monsters, their master, Gooji (A Zilla/Tiger hybrid), makes an appearance and almost sinks the ship. After a struggle, the crew sends Gooji into a whirlpool and reaches land again.
Horn appears later on in the series fighting alongside Allan against some of Moo's Arrowheads and Jells.
Characters who only appear once or twice throughout the entire series, save for cameo appearances.
- Spot Dino
- Voiced by: Mayumi Misawa (Japanese); Janyse Jaud (English)
- A Dino/Hare hybrid that was unlocked by Genki and Holly.
- Datons & Datonares
- Voiced by: Ryo Naitou (Japanese); Samuel Vincent and Richard Newman (Datons), Kazuya Kobayashi and Ward Perry (Datonares) (English)
- Members of Tiger's Pack. The Datons are Tiger/Pixie hybrids, while the Datonares are Tiger/Zuum hybrids. They are killed by the Dinos. They are later resurrected and reunited with the Searchers while looking for Hare. They decide to stay on a mango farm.
- Voiced by: Kenichi Ogata (Japanese); Ted Cole (English)
- In a city fully preserved by robotic monsters called Hengers who will attack any intruders they encounter, the searchers encountered a malfunctioning Henger (who was found dismantled and was banished from the city due to his malfunction and is considered a threat to the other Hengers). He helps the searchers regain the Pendant Stone confiscated by the other Hengers. After he successfully retrieved the Pendant Stone, he is destroyed again by the city's leader Techno Dragon (A Dragon/Henger hybrid) while blocking his attack in order to allow the others to escape unharmed. He was reassembled once more and was offered to join the searches. He kindly declines and tells them that he will stay behind and try to find a way to convince the other Hengers and Techno Dragon about the outside of the city, despite their emotionless behavior. He returns to assist Jim in attacking baddies sent by Moo.
- Voiced by: Koji Tsujitani (Japanese); Paul Dobson (English)
- This noble warrior has the lower half of a horse, while his upper body parts appear as a reptilian humanoid. He and his fellow warriors Dragoon (A dragonoid centaur) and Ceilous (A wolf-like centaur) live by a code of honor, and once protected humans. When Gray Wolf defeated him in battle, Centaur and the others swore allegiance to Gray Wolf as their commander immediately under Moo. They eventually met and fought Genki, Suezo, and Hare, but the battles outcome was unclear due to the interference of the Salamanders. They fought side by side with Genki and his friends to defeat the Salamanders. He, Dragoon and Celious help Jim in attacking baddies sent by Moo.
- Voiced by: Yuji Mikimoto (Japanese); Scott McNeil (English)
- This noble warrior is a dragonoid centaur (He is a Centaur/Dragon hybrid). He, alongside Centaur and Celious live by a code of honor and once protected humans. When he, Centaur, and Celious were defeated in battle, they were forced to swear allegiance to Gray Wolf. He lost to Suezo in battle. Dragoon, Centaur and Celious later joined Jim in attacking baddies sent by Moo.
- Voiced by: Kazuya Kobayashi (Japanese); David Kaye (English)
- This noble warrior is a wolf-like centaur (He is a Centaur/Tiger hybrid). He, alongside Centaur and Dragoon live by a code of honor and once protected humans. When he, Centaur, and Celious were defeated in battle, were forced to swear allegiance to Gray Wolf. He defeated Hare in battle. He, Centaur and Dragoon later joined Jim in attacking baddies sent by Moo.
- Color Pandoras
- Voiced by: Mitsuaki Madono, Keiko Kono (Japanese); Terry Klassen, Scott McNeil, and Samuel Vincent (English)
- Caterpillar-like monsters that the searchers befriend. They assist the group in defeating a Stone Dragon sent by Naga. They assist Jim in his battle against some of the baddies.
- Voiced by: Akio Ohtsuka (Japanese); Michael Dobson (English)
- Jim is a former sailor who the gang meets when they find a restaurant. He has an Eared Mew as a pet. He knows how to cook spaghetti (he cooked it for them) and helps the gang across the river by fighting with the Arrowheads. He later participated in fighting against Moo where he led other monsters like Kato and his students, the Tainted Kat Brothers, Centaur, Dragoon, Celious, Color Pandoras into battle.
- Eared Mew
- Voiced by: Mika Kanai (Japanese); Saffron Henderson (English)
- A cat-like creature that is owned by Jim. A Mew/Hare hybrid.
- Tainted Kat Brothers
- Tainted Kat Brother #1 Voiced by: Ryo Naito (Japanese); Richard Newman (English)
- Tainted Kat Brother #2 Voiced by: Mitsuaki Hoshino (Japanese); Richard Ian Cox (English)
- Two cat monsters that are students of Kato. They are Kato/Joker hybrids. They were tricked by Naga into attacking the searchers. When Genki broke their claws, Kato stopped them and showed them the error of their ways. They assisted Jim in fighting baddies sent by Moo.
- Voiced by: Hiroshi Naka (Japanese); Colin Murdock (English)
- A short old cat monster that is the mentor of the Tainted Kat Brothers. During Genki's fight with the Tainted Kat Brothers, Kato showed them the error of their ways. He assists Jim in attacking baddies sent by Moo where he is shown attacking a Jell.
- Voiced by: Scott McNeil
- An Ape/Gali hybrid.
- Apes & Rock Apes - Two groups of apes. The Rock Apes are Ape/Golem hybrids. Voiced by Don Brown, Paul Dobson and Scott McNeil
- Jagd Hound - A Tiger/Worm hybrid who watches over an abandoned baby. He was used by Lilim to attack Tiger.
- Baku - A large monster with near-dog features that Genki met while he and his friends were crossing the forest, which the monster was guarding. The anime has shown the monster to be extremely formidable. He used up his energy to defeat Chariot and dies.
- Colt - Voiced by Fumiko Orikasa (Japanese) and Kelly Sheridan (English).
- Joy - Colt's toucan.
- Voiced by: Mahito Tsujimura (Japanese); Terry Klassen (English)
- A Yeti-like monster who takes the searchers to where the Phoenix's body lies.
- Voiced by: Willow Johnson
- A Hare/Pixie hybrid.
- Wild Hare
- A Hare/Worm hybrid.
- Furred Suezo - A Suezo/Hare hybrid.
- Voiced by: Saffron Henderson
- Sandra is a taxi driver that takes the gang across the marsh. She apparently likes gum, since she is always blowing a bubble.
- Prof. Gordish - A Kato/Gali hybrid.
- Voiced by: Don Brown
- A Durahan-type monster.
- Voiced by: Masako Nozawa (Japanese); Shirley Millner (English)
- Rosetta is a grouchy restaurant owner, who happens to make the world's greatest pizzas. She takes up Golem as an apprentice and teaches him many skills for when he opens a restaurant himself one day.
- Voiced by: Ryo Naito (Japanese); Terry Klassen (English)
- The past Monster Grand Prix winner for many years. Most is a giant white Mocchi with incredible speed and skill. He first meets Mocchi when a group of kidnappers steal a large number of mocchi-type monsters. He duels with Mocchi in the finals, and although close, Most comes on top again. When Durahan's minions attempt to steal the tournament belt from him, he easily fights them off. But understanding Mocchi's team desire of the tournament belt and the mystery stone inside, gives them the stone and his personal Iron Bird to evade the baddies. Most is presented as one of the most powerful monsters in the series, shown capable of defeating multiple monsters at once without the use of his special attacks and being strong enough to single-handedly lift a golem with relative ease and throw him out of the ring. His reputation was fierce enough that even Moo's minions were terrified just by the very sight of Most.
- Voiced by: Masaki Aizawa (Japanese); Ted Cole (English)
- Most's Monster Grand Prix partner. He is a giant white Suezo.
The main antagonists of the series consisting of Moo and his army of baddies. After Moo's defeat, the surviving baddies who had not been purified by the Phoenix were led by General Durahan in an attempt to revive Moo's power and steal it for themselves.
Moo (Muu in Japan) was an extremely powerful giant dragon-like monster engineered as the ultimate weapon in the great war of ancient times. His dark powers eventually grew too powerful to be controlled, and he created legions with his ability to transform good monsters into his evil baddie servants for the purpose of destroying the world. The surviving scientists created the one creature capable of defeating Moo, the Phoenix. They battled, but proved to be closely matched. Realizing that they had no other choice, the scientists created a machine called the Final Gate that would put an end to the war of the monsters, but they knew that it would affect all monsters. Using the Final Gate, Moo's spirit and the Phoenix's spirit were separated from their bodies, and all other monsters became sealed into Mystery Disks. Moo's soul became a Mystery Disk imprisoned in his castle along with the Mystery Disks containing many of his old troops.
Centuries later, Holly's father was banished from his village and went in search of the Phoenix without the aid of the Magic Stone. He eventually found Moo's castle where he unintentionally unlocked Moo's soul. The malevolent spirit entered his body and thus Moo was reborn into a full-armored form with a black cape and long white hair. He reassembled his army with his Big Bad Four enforcing his injustice and terrorizing the world while in search of the location of his old body. After kidnapping Holly, he told her that he was her father. Although she did not want to believe it at first, he showed her the dagger that her father once had. Moo then used the Magic Stone to point out the location of his ancient body. Thanks to a little interference from Holly's companions and Pixie, the stone was taken from him and given back to Holly and they fled to escape his clutches. Moo flew to the North in his Castle and ordered his minions to begin an excavation so that he could find his ancient body. He found it, but failed to merge with it. The rediscovery of the Final Gate that had been used to defeat him allowed his servants to use it and allow him to fuse with his body. With his body back, Moo immediately flew to meet Genki and his friends and destroy them. Despite the fact that Pixie helped them, Moo was still victorious. When they seemed defeated, the sun rose over the horizon causing him pain. He fled in confusion and sought to solve whatever problem had occurred.
After obtaining the Magic Stone from the treacherous General Durahan who taken it from Holly, Moo perfected his body. He went to finish what he had failed to do earlier, but made the mistake of absorbing too much hatred (which normally makes him stronger) which consumed his mind in the darkness of his own heart. The process drove him insane. After the Phoenix arose, the enraged Moo and the Phoenix destroyed each other.
Though his body was destroyed, Moo's soul was sealed inside a mystery disc with Holly's father. This Disk was later found by Holly and Mocchi and after reuniting with Genki, Holly sensed her father's soul along with Moo's. After reassembling the old gang, the crew decided to find a shrine and free Holly's father from the disk but keep Moo trapped. However, General Durahan was searching for the disc so he could absorb Moo's soul and use its power as his own. Though he succeeded in his plan, Moo turned out to be too powerful and took over Durahan and merged him with Poison, Mum Mew, Gobi and Weed to form a body for himself. When the Searchers, with Holly's father helping them, were absorbed by Moo into his body, they encountered his soul. When Mocchi and the other monsters formed the Phoenix, Genki, Holly, her father, Durahan, Poison, Mum Mew, Gobi and Weed merged with the Phoenix and destroyed Moo for good.
Muu is a play on the Japanese word mu, meaning "void" or "nothing".
Formerly one of Moo's Big Bad Four, this suave and cultured creature is invisible save for the golden mask and cape that he wears. Gali enjoys mocking his opponents and toying with lesser rivals, but if pressed, he can unleash fearsome attacks that batter and drain even the most formidable enemies. His calm and arrogant nature hides a wrathful temper; if angered or insulted, Gali attacks without mercy. His army consists of Zuums, Zillas, Gooji, Joker, Evil Hares, Dokoos, Scaled Jells, and Sandys.
After receiving order to destroy Genki's group, Gali initially dispatches his soldiers to accomplish the task, but the searcher eventually reach his castle. During his encounter with Genki and the searchers, Gali tricked them into entering his castle, and trapped them in a sand pit. He rendered them useless by draining their energy, but Mocchi was shielded from this attack and was able to escape the darkened area beneath the sand pit and battle with Gali. Near the end of the fight, the others overcame the effects of his attack and rejoined the battle. Genki struck Gali and damaged his mask, causing him to go into a rage. In his wrath he released a giant hurricane in an attempt to destroy them, but was killed by Mocchi's newly learned Mocchi Cannon attack.
Gali later resurfaced as a purified monster and entered the Monster Grand Prix along with Sandy, the gold-colored Monol from his old castle. The pair are eventually confronted by Poison who offers them a place among the remaining baddies, but he decides to give her his answer after his match against the searchers in the Monster Grand Prix. Gali and Sandy battle against Mocchi and Naga during the tournament, but are ultimately defeated. Inspired by Naga's change of heart, Gali betrays Poison and sets off to train for the next tournament.
Voiced by: Kazuya Kobayashi (Japanese); Scott McNeil (English)
Formerly one of Moo's Big Bad Four, Naga is a half-serpent creature with a stinger on his tail. He lives for battles, and his cruel fighting style horrifies other monsters. His army consists of Stone Dragon, Arrowheads, Kuros, Jells, the Tainted Kat Brothers, Bajarl, Jaggernauts, and Zuums. Naga was probably the most sinister of the Big Bad Four, and personally appeared in Holly's Village during the attack years ago with an army of Jells and Dinos when it was raining. When Holly's grandfather tries to reason with him, Naga states that he and his army after the Magic Stone so Moo can find Mystery Disks and build his army. When Holly's grandfather and the villagers wouldn't give up the Magic Stone (which was with Holly at the time), a fight broke out between both sides which ended with everyone in the village ended up killed and the monsters that lived there reduced to Lost Disks. Naga was also implied to have been the most pro-active of the Big Bad Four, taking part in the destruction of countless villages and monsters. He would later battle against Genki's group, but was defeated when Mocchi used the Mocchi Cannon on him. He was hanging onto the edge of his tower, and chose to take his own life by falling off into the canyon below, seeing Holly not giving in to revenge and unwilling to take his life.
Naga was resurrected later as a purified monster, and became influenced by Genki's team and their good deeds to become a protector. Although the group welcomed him, Suezo still displayed distrust. It wasn't until the Grand Prix fight, that Suezo's encouragement gave Naga the strength to defeat Gali and win the fight for Genki. Impressed by Naga's change, Gali agreed to train and become stronger too.
A living suit of armor that serves Moo, housing the soul of a proud, ancient knight. After the defeat of Naga, General Durahan was summoned by Moo to defeat Genki and Holly's group of rebels and stop their search for the Phoenix. General Durahan's base of operations was a giant Iron Bird, equipped with powerful weapons and his craft also holds a collection of Moo's most powerful warriors kept frozen in special capsules. His army consists of Lilim, Sneak Hopper, Springer, Tricker, Mocky, End-Bringer, Chariot, Shell Saurians, Metal Jell, Knight Mocchis, Evil Hares, Astros, Renocraft, Gangsters, Jells, Poison, Mum Mew, Gobi, Weed, Pink Jam, Zebra Saurians, Drill-Tusks, Wild Hare, Black Plants, Jelly Gaboos, Jura Walls, Wood Golem, Tombstones, Ghosts, Zuums, Shogun, Mew, Clays, and Metalner. After General Durahan's meeting with Master Moo, he created a plan to defeat his weakened master and taken over as ruler of the baddies, but first agreed to take out the Moo's enemies. Opening the capsules holding the warriors, he dispatched his powerful warriors and one by one they were defeated.
After hearing that Moo needed the Magic Stone from Holly to perfect his body, General Durahan released the Gangsters from their capsules and sent them to claim the stone, but they were deactivated after Lilim took the Magic Stone from Holly. General Durahan returned to Moo, but instead of giving him the stone, he attacked his master and was badly injured in the process. He fled in his Iron Bird when Lilim and those in his approaching fleet turned on him and helped Moo. Suezo teleported the others aboard the craft. They defeated Durahan, but Moo's baddies took the stone from him, and Suezo was forced to teleport himself and his friends to safety before the Iron Bird crashed.
Although General Durahan was on board the Iron Bird when it crashed, his head managed to survive the impact. Kept alive by cybernetic equipment, the evil general would resurface a year later as the leader of the remaining baddies. With Mum Mew, Gobi, Poison, and Weed at his command, Durahan planned to find Moo's disk and absorb him into his own body. Using what remained of his collection of warriors, General Durahan and his minions challenged Genki's group. His plans eventually succeed. However, when the Searchers interfered, Moo was able to possess Durahan and form a body out of Poison, Mum Mew, Gobi, and Weed. When the Searchers (and Holly's Father) were absorbed into Moo's new body they saw General Durahan, Gobi, Mum Mew, Poison, and Weed being absorbed by Moo's soul, Mocchi and the other monsters then formed the Phoenix and freed them. Durahan was puzzled why Genki would save them since they were enemies. However halfway through the fight with Moo and the Phoenix, General Durahan finally understood what made the Searchers stronger than the baddies:"The most vulnerable path is the hardest one to follow, and that is what makes it the strongest". Upon learning this, he became a good monster again (along with Poison, Mum Mew, Gobi and Weed) and merged with the Phoenix with Genki, Holly, Holly's father, Gobi, Mum Mew, Poison, and Weed and destroyed Moo's soul. After this, he was rewarded with his old body and his baddie crest taken away.
Voiced by: Haruko Takahagi (Japanese); Janyse Jaud (English)
Lilim is a Pixie/Joker hybrid and was probably one of the most cunning and devious of the baddies. Although she resembles Pixie, she proved to be much more treacherous than her counterpart. After General Durahan's brief meeting with Master Moo, she suggested that he defeat their weakened master and rule over the baddies. General Durahan agreed, but he first set out to destroy Genki and his companions. When General Durahan's collection of warriors began to shrink due to their destruction, Lilim stepped in and decided it was best if she enacted her own devious plan rather than rely on his warriors. Lilim kidnapped a human baby and forced its caretaker, Jagd Hound, to attack the searchers. Although it appeared to work, Lilim was outsmarted when Tiger and Jagd Hound tricked her and took the baby to safety. Lilim fled in anger, but would later aid General Durahan in claiming the Magic Stone for him. After learning how strong the stone could make Moo, she turned on him, convinced General Durahan's fleet to side with Moo and helped Moo get back the stone. During this attempt, she and General Durahan crashed in his destroyed Iron Bird. It is impled that seconds before the crash, General Durahan stabbed her as revenge for her betrayal, causing her to be a lost disk.
A Mew/Pixie hybrid, Mum Mew works under General Durahan as a sub-leader of the baddie remnants. Vain, Mum Mew spends most of her time primping herself in front of a mirror, believing herself to be more beautiful than she is. Possessing a fierce temper, she will attack anyone who calls her old. Although she has numerous bad traits, she is not as evil as the baddie leaders during Moo's reign. Commonly accompanied by Gobi. At the end of the series, she became a good monster and became nicer to Gobi.
A Golem/Henger hybrid, Gobi is the accomplice of Mum Mew. He usually acts as the muscle of the pair, and is not very intelligent. This characteristic is present to such a degree, that so much that any attempt at deep thinking results in him experiencing violent headaches. He enjoys making friends, as he is shown having Mum Mew take pictures of him with the warriors Durahan awakens and weeping when they desert after being defeated by Genki and his friends. At the end of the series, he became a good monster.
A rare Pixie monster, Poison essentially fills the same position Lilim did during Moo's reign, though more loyal to the General than Lilim was. She has a rivalry of sorts with Mum Mew, pointing out the Mew/Pixie's lack of feminine traits in comparison to her own. Unlike the previous two Pixies, Poison was slightly more comical compared to Pixie and Lilim, occasionally engaging in slapstick humor with Mum Mew and Gobi. At the end of the series, she became a good monster.
Voiced by: Unknown (Japanese); Paul Dobson (English)
This Weed was the one responsible for bringing General Durahan back to life by using cybernetic technology and was the most loyal to him. However, the process of resurrecting Durahan had somehow caused Weed to become a Cyborg. At the end of the series, he became a good monster and was given back his old body.
Minor villains in the Monster Rancher anime, these characters often served as soldiers and henchmen for the leaders of the baddies.
- Jells - The Jells were possibly some of the most common troops in Moo's army of baddies. Although they were not the strongest troops that Moo's army had to offer, that does not mean that they weren't dangerous. The Jells appear in a humanoid shape composed of a blue jell material (which is often comically mistaken for a water puddle), have a shapeless blob in place of legs, and have a large red ball in their chest (visible through their torsos). Their powers mostly lie in their ability to transform into other forms, particularly types of weaponry. They are most noted for taking the form of a cannon and blasting their opponent using the red ball in their chests as a projectile weapon (this is rather ironic as the red ball appears to be their weak point). Voiced by Scott McNeil, Brian Drummond, Samuel Vincent, Paul Dobson, Richard Newman, Terry Klassen, and Don Brown.
- Black Dinos - Although they appear to be smaller versions of carnivorous dinosaurs, the Black Dinos are reasonably intelligent and do not hesitate to use violence. They are simple monsters who use physical attack methods such as biting to defeat their opponents. Although they have the ability to speak quite well, they are used as beasts of burden by their fellow baddies while serving Moo. Captain Black Dino and his Black Dinos were the ones who pursued Genki, Holly, Suezo, and Mocchi. They were defeated when they were knocked into the river and haven't been seen since. They are Dino/Monol hybrids. Voiced by Scott McNeil.
- Weeds - The Weeds are a group of purplish plant-like monsters who appear to serve as Moo's attendants and messengers. One Weed serves as Moo's right-hand monster. There was a Captain Weed that was in charge of the Gangsters until he was killed by Lilim. While they usually shuffle along on their lower tendrils, they use their longer, upper tendrils to catch the wind and float or fly through the air. They also possess the ability to shoot seeds from their blossoms. In season 3, one Weed becomes a cyborg in the process of trying revive Durahan. They are Plant/Naga hybrids. Voiced by Scott McNeil, Brian Drummond, Samuel Vincent, Paul Dobson, Terry Klassen, and Richard Ian Cox.
- The Seed Sisters
- Seed Sister #1 Voiced by: Yuji Mitsuya (Japanese); Shirley Millner (English)
- Seed Sister #2 Voiced by: Tomohiro Nishimura (Japanese); Janyse Jaud (English)
- Seed Sister #3 Voiced by: Yoshirou Matsumoto (Japanese); Saffron Henderson (English)
- They are three female monsters who resemble the Weeds. One of them was killed by Genki with a boulder causing the remaining Seed Sisters to plan their revenge. After draining all the energy out of Allan's worm, the other Seed Sisters were killed offscreen by Allan in his seething rage.
- Dinos - They killed Tiger's pack. Later Tiger fights and kills Captain Dino, causing the others to retreat. Voiced by Scott McNeil.
- Evil Hares - Although they appeared as darker colored versions of Hare, these baddies did not possess the skill, trickery, and special attacks of the Hare who traveled as one of the courageous searchers. The Evil Hares relied mostly on punching and kicking attacks. Although incompetent, they often served as Moo's foot soldiers and were easily dispatched or driven off by skilled fighters. The first bunch of Evil Hares were sent by Pixie to weaken the dam of a village. They were defeated by the Searchers. Another bunch of Evil Hares were summoned by Joker to fight the Searchers. After Hare defeated Joker, the remaining Evil Hares were caught in the cave-in following Joker's defeat. They are Hare/Monol hybrids. Voiced by Scott McNeil, Brian Drummond, Richard Newman, and Terry Klassen.
- Kuros - Magic/Plant hybrids. Voiced by Scott McNeil.
- Usabas - These one-eyed pests are yellow plant-like monsters who resemble the Weeds. They served as guards and ground soldiers and are not the smartest monsters in Moo's army. Some of the Usabas assisted the Clays when it came to the searchers' final fight with Pixie and Big Blue. They are Plant/Suezo hybrids. Voiced by Scott McNeil and Richard Newman.
- Clays - These creatures have a strong resemblance to the Jells and share many qualities with their counterparts. They too can transform into a variety of weapons and serve as Moo's ground troops. In contrast to the blue coloring of the Jells, the Clays are colored very dark and have a red mark on their torsos. The Clays first appeared where they were seen running the prisons that are under Pixie's control. The searchers ended up defeating the Clays there and freeing the slaves. Pixie did not take this news lightly and electrocuted Captain Clay into a Lost Disk. They are Jell/Monol hybrids. Voiced by Scott McNeil, Brian Drummond, Richard Newman, Terry Klassen, and David Kaye.
- Zuums - The Zuums are lizard men that work for Moo. One army of Zuums works for Naga. Voiced by Scott McNeil, Brian Drummond, Richard Newman, Ward Perry, and Richard Ian Cox.
- Techno Dragon - A Dragon/Henger hybrid. Although he is technically not a baddie, he does attack those who trespass into his city, but if they escape, he will stop attacking them.
- Zillas - The Zillas are a group of powerful underwater baddies who attack relentlessly at sea and do not usually retreat. While their bodies resemble that of small humanoid whales, their arms allow them to grasp weapons while their legs allow them to stand upright like humans. The Zillas who patrol the ocean are under the command of their master, Gooji. Voiced by Doc Harris, Terry Klassen, Ward Perry, and Don Brown.
- Voiced by: Doc Harris
- This large and powerful Zilla is the leader of the Zillas and Captain Horn's archenemy. Although large, Gooji can swim extremely fast in the water and could easily sink a ship. When Gooji was ordered by Gali to defeat the searchers who were on board Captain Horn's pirate ship, he sent his Zillas to defeat them. When they failed, Gooji himself attacked the ship, and although he was much more powerful than his minions, he was defeated and cast into a whirlpool while the others escaped. He is a Zilla/Tiger hybrid.
- Joker - He is probably one of the trickier baddies and uses the power of illusion and the scythe he carries to defeat his opponents. The tricky Joker was sent by Gali to deal with the searchers. When they journeyed through an underground cavern, Joker trapped them in illusions of their own fears, and attempted to kill them while they were defenseless. Hare (who had split from the group after an argument with Tiger of the Wind) returned to rescue his friends. After his illusions were broken, Joker attacked the searchers and even summoned some Evil Hares to help them. Hare then used his Dragon Kick to send Joker through the ceiling enough to cause a cave-in.
- Scaled Jells - The Scaled Jells are a group of green colored Jells who are covered in green scales. Although they bear a close resemblance to their counterparts, they are more powerful and appear to have stronger abilities. They have the ability to combine their bodies together to create large and powerful weaponry, and they can even stretch their bodies out like sheets in order to float from high places. They were sent by Gali to attack the searchers with one attack causing Genki and Pixie to be separated from the others. Despite the fact that she was injured, Pixie unleashed a powerful attack which reduced all the Scaled Jells to Lost Disks. They are Jell/Zuum hybrids. Voiced by Samuel Vincent, Paul Dobson, and Don Brown.
- Sandys - Monol/Suezo hybrids. They are Gali's troops. Voiced by Paul Dobson.
- Dokoos - This balls of sludge are a tricky bunch who specialize in surrounding their opponents and attacking with a variety of punches. Although not the strongest baddies, they can still do their job. They were sent by Gali to attack the Searchers. They were defeated and ended up retreating. They are Gaboo/Joker hybrids. Voiced by Lee Tockar and Terry Klassen.
- Cabalos - Tiger/Naga hybrids. They are Gray Wolf's troops. Voiced by Brian Drummond, Paul Dobson, and Don Brown.
- Black Worms - Even more poisonous than regular Worms, these baddies are a force to be reckoned with. After learning of Gali's demise, Gray Wolf sends the Black Worms to fight the searchers. They roll through the surrounding terrain at a fast pace, and stop to deliver attacks to the enemy by shooting their poisonous stingers like darts and even emit poisonous smog. Even though the Black Worms retreated, one Black Worm was captured and interrogated on who the remaining two members of Moo's Big Bad Four are. Before escaping in the smog, the Black Worm mentioned that they were sent by Gray Wolf. Holly became a victim of a Black Worm's poisonous in an effort to protect Tiger from the stingers. Upon finding the plant that can cure Holly's poison, Tiger ended up fighting Captain Black Worm. Despite Captain Black Worm having the upper-hand, Tiger turned the tides and reduced Captain Black Worm to a lost disk while claiming the antidote plant. After Holly recovered the remaining Black Worms were fended off by the searchers. They are Worm/Monol hybrids. Voiced by Scott McNeil, Brian Drummond, and Don Brown.
- Salamanders - Reptile-like monsters who chased the searchers to the ruins where Centaur, Dragoon, and Celious lived. Their leader was the one responsible for injuring Tiger. When Captain Salamander manages to grab Genki and Mocchi, the Salamanders were told to leave by Centaur. They returned to capture the searchers during the tournament and were thwarted which ended with them retreating. They are Zuum/Dragon hybrids. Voiced by Brian Drummond and Richard Newman.
- Ebony - A Mock/Joker hybrid. Voiced by Brian Drummond.
- Mocks -
- Voiced by: Hiromi Tsuru (Japanese); Kelly Sheridan (English)
- Undine is a seemingly harmless mermaid-like monster. Serving under Gray Wolf, she lived in a serene lake and was ordered by him to destroy the searchers. After befriending Golem, she tricked his friends and fought them using her power to manipulate the water. Although she proved treacherous, they manage to defeat her, but Golem protected her as he had promised. When he attempted to rescue her from the fire (which is her weakness) that surrounded the area, she feels guilty over what she has done and simply told him that she didn't deserve his friendship. Because of this, she chose to remain behind and die, but does admit that she and Golem are true friends. She is later seen to be resurrected at the end of the series.
- Jaggernauts - A group of beetle-like monsters sent to attack the searchers. They were all destroyed by the giant robot Melcarba. They are Beaclon/Joker hybrids. Voiced by Scott McNeil, Paul Dobson and Richard Newman.
- Melcarba - A giant beetle-like robot that was built by humans. It ended up activated and decimated the Jaggernauts sent by Gray Wolf. Though indestructible, Genki managed to jam a metal pole into it enough for a jolt of lightning to deactivate it. It is a Beaclon/Henger hybrid.
- Stone Dragon - The Stone Dragons are stone version of the Pirate Dragons. A Stone Dragon is one of the stronger monsters who serve Naga. He terrorized other monsters and attacked Genki and the searchers until one Colored Pandora sent him flying into a pit of quicksand, sending him to his doom. Another Stone Dragon fought Eddie and other people in their Iron Birds. He is a Dragon/Golem hybrid.
- Arrowheads - A race of lobster-like monsters that attacked the searchers and Jim as they cross the Yellow River. An army of Arrowheads assisted some Jells into attacking Captain Horn's ship. Voiced by Terry Klassen.
- Voiced by: Alec Willows
- Bajarl was a powerful genie-like monster who lived in a jar and would use his powers to shrink his opponents and trap them in his jar. He once laid waste to an entire town. When he attacked the searchers and placed them in his jar, Holly and Mocchi escaped and fled to the ruins of the destroyed town. After Bajarl found them, Mocchi held him off while Tiger used his blizzard attack to freeze Bajarl's jar. After they escaped, the searchers defeated Bajarl upon discovering what the village had detailed on how to destroy Bajarl.
- Sneak Hopper - A Hopper/Joker hybrid.
- Springer - A Hopper/Metalner hybrid.
- Tricker - A Wracky/Joker hybrid.
- Mocky - A Wracky/Mock hybrid.
- End-Bringer - The Henger/Joker hybrid was one of General Durahan's most powerful warriors and was the first to be summoned to destroy the searchers. After using his hologram projecting ability to deliver Durahan's message, End-Bringer relentlessly attacked the searchers. But using their teamwork, the Searchers destroyed him. A strange tiny orb flew from his lost Mystery Disk and reached Durahan. After watching the recording, Durahan knew that he was facing a reasonably powerful band of the searchers. Voiced by David Kaye.
- Voiced by: Scott McNeil
- This armored Centaur-looking monster fought Genki and the searchers under General Durahan's orders. While he and his army proved relentless, Chariot's lightning attacks failed to destroy him and was defeated due to the interference of a friendly pet monster name Baku, who Genki reminded of his owner. They entered a beam struggle and Baku won with Chariot being reduced to a Lost Disk. He is a Centaur/Durahan hybrid.
- Shell Saurians - Zuum/Worm hybrids.
- Metal Jell
- Voiced by: Paul Dobson
- A servant of Durahan. He is a gray version of a Jell. He was sent alongside some Knight Mocchis to attack Genki and the searchers. He and the Knight Mocchis were destroyed by the searchers.
- Knight Mocchis - Armored versions of Mocchi who accompanied Metal Jell in attacking the searchers. They were destroyed by the searchers. They are Mocchi/Durahan hybrids.
- Voiced by: Doc Harris
- Giant astronaut-type robot monsters used for space work. They were turned evil by Moo as an offer to get revenge on the Humans who tortured them and were unleashed by Durahan to attack the searchers. They are Golem/Metalner hybrids.
- Renocraft - An Arrowhead/Henger hybrid that can move through sand. While Genki and Mocchi were in a fight with each other, Renocraft was unleashed by Durahan and attacked the searchers in a sand-filled area. Genki saved Mocchi as Tiger, Golem, Suezo, and Hare combined their attacks to destroy Renocraft.
- Gangsters - Robot monsters that are loyal to Durahan. They were given to Captain Weed to help him find Genki's crew. When Lilim took the stone from Holly, she killed Captain Weed and attempted to do the same to Genki and crew. However the dying Weed used what strength he had left to take out the leader Gangster, without that Gangster the others shut down. They are Magic/Henger hybrids. Voiced by Scott McNeil and Terry Klassen.
- Battle Rocks - A Golem/Durahan hybrid. He bullies those he thinks are weak.
- Blue Hares - Hare/Tiger hybrids. They work for Battle Rocks.
- Pink Jam - A Jell/Pixie hybrid. Voiced by Terry Klassen.
- Zebra Saurians - Zuum-type monsters. Voiced by Don Brown.
- Drill-Tusks - Worm/Tiger hybrids. Voiced by Brian Drummond and Don Brown.
- Black Plants - Plant/Monol hybrids. Voiced by Scott McNeil, Paul Dobson, and Terry Klassen.
- Fly Eyes - Suezo/Worm hybrids.
- Jelly Gaboos - Gaboo/Jell hybrids. Voiced by Ward Perry.
- Jura Walls - Monol/Zuum hybrids. Voiced by Scott McNeil.
- Wood Golem - A Golem/Mock hybrid. Voiced by Paul Dobson.
- Tombstones - Joker/Golem hybrids. Voiced by Scott McNeil, Paul Dobson, and Don Brown.
- Ghosts - Voiced by Terry Klassen.
- Mew - Voiced by Matt Hill.
- Metalner - Voiced by Scott McNeil.
|Character||Japanese VA||English VA|
|Genki Sakura||Chisa Yokoyama||Andrew Francis|
|Holly||Mariko Kōda||Maggie Blue O'Hara|
|Mocchi||Yuri Shiratori||Janyse Jaud|
|Suezo||Wataru Takagi||Scott McNeil|
|Gōlem||Naoya Uchida||Richard Newman (1999–2000)|
Doc Harris (2000–2001)
|Tiger||Kazuki Yao||Brian Drummond|
|Hare||Nozomu Sasaki||Samuel Vincent|
|Moo||Jūrōta Kosugi||Paul Dobson|
|Pixie||Kotono Mitsuishi||Janyse Jaud|
|Gali||Kaneto Shiozawa (Season 1-2)
Tsutomu Kashiwakura (Season 3)
|Gray Wolf||Daiki Nakamura||Scott McNeil|
|Undine||Hiromi Tsuru||Kelly Sheridan|
|Naga||Kazuya Kobayashi||Scott McNeil|
|Big Blue||Hiroyuki Yokō||Ward Perry|
|General Durahan||Kenyū Horiuchi||Lee Tockar|
|Lilim||Haruko Takahagi||Janyse Jaud|
|Poison||Miki Nagasawa||Janyse Jaud|
|Mum Mew||Keiko Han||Pauline Newstone|
|Gobi||Jūrōta Kosugi||Paul Dobson|
|Allan||Ryō Naitō||Matt Smith|
|Eddy||Issei Futamata||Terry Klassen|
|Captain Jim||Akio Ōtsuka||Michael Dobson|
|Colt||Fumiko Orikasa||Kelly Sheridan|