This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: Original research, weasel words, and citations needed. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A mood board is a type of visual presentation or a collage consisting of images, text, and samples of objects in a composition. It can be based upon a set topic or can be any material chosen at random. A mood board can be used to convey a general idea or feeling about a particular topic. They may be physical or digital, and can be effective presentation tools.
Graphic designers, interior designers, industrial designers, photographers and other creative artists use mood boards to visually illustrate the style they wish to pursue. However, these boards can also be used by design professionals to visually explain a certain style of writing, or an imaginary setting for a story line. In short, mood boards are not limited to visual subjects, but serve as a visual tool to quickly inform others of the overall "feel" (or "flow") of an idea. In creative processes, mood boards can balance coordination and creative freedom.
Traditionally,[according to whom?] mood boards are made from foam board which can be cut up with a scalpel and can also have spray mounted dab-outs put onto it. Creating mood boards in a digital form may be easier and quicker,[according to whom?] especially when it comes to collaboration or modification of projects, but physical objects often tend to have a higher impact on people because of the more complete palette of sensations physical mood boards offer,[original research?] in contrast with the digital mood boards. Mood boards can also be painted.
- Wyatt, Paul (27 January 2014). "How to create mood boards: 40 pro tips and tools". Creative Bloq.
- "Mood Board for Interior Design - A Complete Guide". GharPedia. March 2019.
- Endrissat, N., Islam, G., & Noppeney, C. (2015). Visual organizing: Balancing coordination and creative freedom via mood boards. Journal of Business Research. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2015.10.004
- "Visual Representations: Mood Boards and Idea Sharing". Impact Posters Gallery. Retrieved 30 January 2016.
- Plotboard – iPhone/iPad app for creating and sharing moodboards (free to download, offers in-app purchases)
- SampleBoard – online software to create digital mood boards
- Milanote – online tool for moodboarding and organising inspiration for creative projects
- Webtopic 30 websites to create digital mood board