Mooers, New York
|Mooers, New York|
Location in Clinton County and the state of New York.
|• Type||Town Council|
|• Town Supervisor||Cory Ross (R)|
|• Town Council|
|• Total||87.9 sq mi (227.7 km2)|
|• Land||87.6 sq mi (227.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2)|
|Elevation||280 ft (90 m)|
|• Density||41/sq mi (15.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST)|
The town forms part of the northern border of Clinton County and is northwest of Plattsburgh.
According to the United States Census Bureau, Mooers has a total area of 87.9 square miles (227.7 km2), of which 87.6 square miles (227.0 km2) is land and 0.31 square miles (0.8 km2), or 0.33%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,404 people, 1,264 households, and 942 families residing in the town. The population density was 38.8 people per square mile (15.0/km²). There were 1,431 housing units at an average density of 16.3 per square mile (6.3/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.09% White, 0.21% Black or African American, 0.56% Native American, 0.24% Asian, 0.24% from other races, and 0.68% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.79% of the population.
There were 1,264 households out of which 36.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.0% were married couples living together, 8.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.4% were non-families. 20.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.69 and the average family size was 3.08.
In the town, the population was spread out with 26.8% under the age of 18, 7.0% from 18 to 24, 32.1% from 25 to 44, 22.8% from 45 to 64, and 11.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 103.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.8 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $39,152, and the median income for a family was $41,908. Males had a median income of $32,033 versus $25,255 for females. The per capita income for the town was $15,645. About 6.2% of families and 10.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 11.8% of those under age 18 and 11.9% of those age 65 or over.
Communities and locations in Mooers
- Angellville – A former community once located in the southeast part of Mooers.
- Cannon Corners – A hamlet in the western part of the town at Cannon Corners Road and Davison Road. In between Mooers Forks and the Canada–US border.
- English River – A small stream in the western part of the town.
- Mooers – The hamlet of Mooers is located in the eastern part of the town at the junction of US-11 and NY-22 at the Chazy River. The community was once called "Mooers-upon-the-Chazy".
- Mooers Forks (formerly "Centerville") – A hamlet near the geographic center of the town on US-11.
- Twin Bridges – A hamlet on the eastern town line on US-11.
- Whitney Corners – A hamlet west of Mooers Forks.
- Woods Falls – A hamlet in the southern part of the town, south of Mooers Forks.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Mooers town, Clinton County, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 4, 2014.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.