|Part of a series on|
Mooji (born Anthony Paul Moo-Young on 29 January 1954) is a spiritual teacher originally from Jamaica. Mooji is a disciple of Papaji, a devotee of the advaita and non-dual master Ramana Maharshi. Mooji shares self-inquiry, directing his students to the non-dual Self by encouraging them to question who or what they are at the deepest level. One well known exercise is to identify the natural feeling "I am" or "I exist" and staying with this for 5 to 7 minutes at a time. Another is to come to the recognition that everything (thoughts, emotions, sensations) can be perceived, and then inquiring, "Can the perceiver itself be perceived?"
Mooji was born and grew up in Port Antonio, Jamaica. In 1969, at the age of fifteen, he emigrated to England after his father died. He went to live with his mother who had been living in London since he was a baby. He taught himself to be an artist employing various media including stained glass, ceramics and sculpture. For a while he taught art at a college in Brixton.
In November 1993, he met his master, H.W.L. Poonja, known affectionately as Papaji, in Lucknow, India. Up until 2011 Mooji lived in Brixton, London. He now lives in Monte Sahaja in the Alentejo region of South West Portugal.
His brother Peter Moo-Young is a national and international table tennis player for Jamaica. His sister Cherry Groce was accidentally shot by the police in 1985, which triggered the 1985 Brixton riot.
In his later years, Mooji has held satsangs throughout the world and invites others to contemplate or inquire as to what their source is. Like H.W.L. Poonja, Mooji's teachings are simple and he encourages his followers to keep quiet and avoid the mind's influence and abide in the Self which is the witness of all phenomenal existence and therefore before any "thing," including thoughts and all that is perceived with the five senses (citation needed). Many of his followers watch his satsang sessions through YouTube.
- The Mala of God. Mooji Media Publications. 2014. ISBN 978-1-908408-21-1.
- White Fire: Spiritual insights and teachings of advaita zen master Mooji. Mooji Media Publications. 2014. ISBN 978-1-908408-19-8. (ISBN 978-1-908408-19-8)
- Before I Am: The Direct Recognition of Truth – Dialogues with Mooji. Mooji Media; 2nd edition. 2012. ISBN 978-1-908408-13-6. (ISBN 1908408138)
- Writing on Water: Spontaneous Utterances Insights and Drawings. Mooji Media. 2011. ISBN 978-1-908408-00-6. (ISBN 978-1-908408-00-6)
- Breath of the Absolute – Dialogues with Mooji. 2010. ISBN 978-81-88479-61-0.
- "Mooji - the guru from Jamaica". BBC News. 14 February 2008. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Self Inquiry – Mooji". mooji.org. Retrieved 2016-11-10.
- Tony Moo Young Paintings + Jamie Reid – Leaving The 20th Century. Brixton 50. Brixton Art Gallery Archive 1983-1986.
- Mooji. 'Before I Am'. Interview by Iain McNay. In, Conversations on non-duality. Twenty-six awakenings. Edited by Eleonora Gilbert. Cherry Red Books, 2011.
- Monte Sahaja - Mooji in Portugal.
- Gethin, W. (2011)The Buddha from Brixton. Kindred Spirit Interview.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mooji.|