Naantali, Finland, Moomin House in Moomin World
Moomin World (Finnish: Muumimaailma, Swedish: Muminvärlden) is a theme park based on the Moomin books by Tove Jansson. It was designed by Dennis Livson, and located on the island of Kailo next to the old town of Naantali, in Southwest Finland.
The blueberry-coloured Moomin House is the main attraction of the park, where guests are allowed to go to all five storeys. Hemulen's house is located next to the Moomin House. It is also possible to go to, for example, Moominmamma's kitchen, the fire station, Snufkin's camp, Moominpappa's boat. Visitors can also meet Moomin characters around the park or the Witch in her cottage.
Moomin World is not a traditional amusement park, as it does not have any rides. There are many activities and fantastical paths including Toffle's Path with the Witch's Labyrinth, The Hattifatteners' Cave and The Groke's House. There are also performances in the covered outdoor Moomin theatre Emma.
Metsä in Japan is a Moomin theme park outside Finland. Metsä ('forest' in Finnish), was initially planned to start operation in 2015 for the 100th birth year of Tove Jansson, and on June 30, 2015, it is announced to open as early as 2017. Situated in Hanno city, northwest of Tokyo, the site will include a Moomin zone for attractions, and a free public zone or a park area. Construction site is purchased on hills along the Miyazawa reservoir.
Moomin World is the world's fourth best theme park for children according to The Independent on Sunday (October 2005). Moomin World was elected as the domestic travel destination of 2005 (Matkamessut, Finnish Travel Fair 2006). Moomin World got the Golden Pony Award 2007 by The Games & Parks Industry magazine. The jury said: "Moomin World is welcoming, well themed and full of educational content."
- Who inventedMoominworld?
- "Moomin World and Väski Adventure Island". The Official Travel Guide of Finland. Visit Finland. Retrieved 2015-11-12.CS1 maint: others (link)
- Attwooll, Jolyon (2013-12-19). "Japan to open Moomin theme park". Plans for a new Moomin theme park have been announced for Japan. Telegraph. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
- "Moomin-themed amusement park to open in Saitama in 2017". The Japan Times. 2015-07-02. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Moomin World.|
- Moomin World Moomin Theme Park
- Facto Edizioni (publisher's site) The Games & Parks Industry magazine
- Emma Theatre Program at Emma Theatre
- My side of Naantali VIsitors' guide to Naantali