Moominvalley (TV series)
|Genre||Animated family drama|
|Created by||Marika Makaroff|
|Written by||Mark Huckerby|
|Directed by||Steve Box|
|Country of origin||Finland, United Kingdom|
|Original language(s)||Finnish, English, Swedish|
|No. of series||2|
|No. of episodes||26|
|Executive producer(s)||Marika Makaroff|
|Running time||22 min.|
|Production company(s)||Gutsy Animations|
|Original release||February 25, 2019 – (Finland)|
April 4, 2019 –
April 19, 2019 –
Moominvalley (Finnish: Muumilaakso, Swedish: Mumindalen also known as MOOMIN) is a 2019 Finnish-British animated family drama series. An adaptation of the classic Moomin books and comics by writer-illustrator Tove Jansson and her brother Lars Jansson, it features a blend of 2D and 3D animating techniques.
Finnish production company Gutsy Animations ran a crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo from 8 March to 21 April 2017. The campaign was organised in order to raise funds towards visual development of the series. Animation company Anima Vitae was appointed as the lead animation company for the first two episodes of the series.
The series is Finland's most expensive TV show with a €20 million budget.
The protagonist of the series is Moomintroll, who is curious, kind, sensitive and idealistic. He is a typical teenage hero in a coming-of-age story: he tries to tackle the puzzle of growing up to his true, individualistic self while remaining a beloved part of the family. He lives with his caring Moominmamma and nostalgic Moominpappa. Moomintroll is joined by his best friend, the free-spirited wanderer Snufkin, the chaotic Little My, daydreamer Snorkmaiden, cowardly Sniff, and many other friends.
Cast and characters
The score for the series is composed by Finnish musicians Pekka Kuusisto and Samuli Kosminen. Kuusisto's father, Ilkka Kuusisto, had previously composed an opera for the Moomins with Tove Jansson in 1974.
In September 2018, it was announced that Gutsy Animations made a deal with Sony Music to have the label's artists contribute original songs for each episode. The track listing was revealed on January 25, 2019. The series includes tracks from artists such as Tom Odell, First Aid Kit, Mø and Alma. 
|1.||"Theme Song (I'm Far Away)" (performed by MØ)||2:29|
|2.||"Starlight" (performed by Alma)||Mikkola||2:20|
|3.||"Summer Day" (performed by Tom Odell)||Tom Odell||2:58|
|4.||"Back to the Cave" (performed by Colonel Suns)||Colonel Suns||3:37|
|5.||"Love Me with All of Your Heart" (performed by Delilah Montagu)||Barney Lister||2:39|
|6.||"Home Again" (performed by First Aid Kit)||Tucker Martine||4:06|
|7.||"There Is Something in the Forest" (performed by Emilíana Torrini, The Colorist Orchestra and Kársnes Gilr Choir)||3:43|
|8.||"Home" (performed by Josef Salvat)||3:20|
|9.||"All Small Beasts Should Have Bows in Their Tails" (performed by Ellinoora)||2:08|
|10.||"Free Spirit" (performed by Josef Salvat)||3:04|
|11.||"Country Air" (performed by SOAK)||Ant Whiting||3:27|
|12.||"By Your Side" (performed by Mellah)||Liam Ramsden||Ramsden||3:09|
|13.||"In Blue" (performed by Declan McKenna)||Declan McKenna||McKenna||4:54|
|14.||"Northern Lights" (performed by MØ and Goss)||3:37|
|15.||"Ready Now" (performed by Dodie Clark)||Dodie||3:01|
|16.||"The Author" (performed by Roosberg)||3:35|
|#||English title||Finnish title||Finland Swedish title|
|1 - 13||Little My Moves In||Pikku Myy tuli taloon||Lilla My flyttar in|
|2 - 13||The Spring Tune||Kevätlaulu||Vårvisan|
|3 - 13||The Last Dragon In The World||Maailman viimeinen lohikäärme||Den sista draken i världen|
|4 - 13||Moominsummer Madness||Kelluva teatteri||Den flytande teatern|
|5 - 13||The Golden Tale||Kultainen häntä||Den gyllene svansen|
|6 - 13||The Secret Of The Hattifatteners||Hattivattien saari||Hattifnattarnas ö|
|7 - 13||Snufkin And The Park Keeper||Nuuskamuikkunen ja Puistonvartija||Snusmumriken och parkvakten|
|8 - 13||Monster Fish||Muumipapan kalajuttu||Monsterfisken|
|9 - 13||Night Of The Groke||Yksin kotona||Ensam hemma|
|10 - 13||Moominmama's Maid||Muumimamman apulainen||Muminmammans hembiträde|
|11 - 13||Ghost Story||Kummitustarina||Spökhistorien|
|12 - 13||The Invisible Child||Näkymätön lapsi||Det osynliga barnet|
|13 - 13||Midwinter Ancestor||Taikatalvi||Trollvinter|
Moominvalley first aired on Yle TV2 in Finland in 25 February 2019, and a day after in Swedish on Yle Teema & Fem. It began airing in the United Kingdom on Sky One, Sky Kids and NOW TV on 19 April 2019. The first eight episodes aired overnight between 2:00 and 6:00 am, and were then repeated in pairs between 5:30 and 6:30 pm over the Easter weekend from 19 April to 22 April. Episodes 9-11 followed on the afternoon of Saturday 27 April, 12-13 on Sunday 28. Japan's national broadcaster NHK premiered Moominvalley on its BS4K channel on 4 April 2019. The series has also been sold to China.
The first episode of Moominvalley was viewed by 600,000 viewers when it premiered in Finland's Yle TV2 in February 2019. It also became the most watched television series episode of all time in Yle's streaming service, Yle Areena, with almost 500,000 viewers, bringing the total viewership of the first episode in Finland to over a million.
- "The Moomins are back, voiced by Taron Egerton and Kate Winslet". Retrieved 13 September 2017.
- "New cutting edge Moomin TV series in development". Retrieved 13 September 2017.
- "Anima Vitae joins Gutsy's Moominvalley". Retrieved 27 October 2018.
- "Finland's most expensive TV show: New Moominvalley series". Yle Uutiset. Retrieved 25 January 2019.
- "New cast members of the upcoming animated series MOOMINVALLEY".
- "Voices of Moominvalley".
- "Uuden Muumi-animaation ääninä kuullaan Putous-tähtiä – katso näyte sarjasta (Finnish)", yle.fi
- "Här är skådespelarna som ger röst åt den nya animationsserien Mumindalen (Swedish)", moomin.com
- "Each episode of the highly-anticipated Moomin animation series will include a featured track by top international artists – Moomin". Moomin. 11 September 2018. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "Uusi Muumilaakso-televisiosarja saa muun muassa Alman, MØ:n ja First Aid Kitin tähdittämän soundtrack-levyn". Moomin.com (in Finnish). 25 January 2019. Retrieved 29 January 2019.
- "Sky, Moominvalley". Sky.
- "Yle Areena, Muumilaakso". Yle Areena.
- "Yle Arenan, Mumindalen". Yle Arenan.
- "First look at the animated characters of the highly anticipated Moominvalley TV series revealed". Moomin.com. 27 November 2018. Retrieved 25 February 2019.
- "The new Moominvalley animation to premiere in Japan in April!". Moomin.com. 13 February 2019. Retrieved 25 February 2019.
- "Uusi Muumilaakso-sarja alkaa (New Moominvalley series begins)". is.fi (in Finnish). 25 February 2019. Retrieved 2 March 2019.
- "Uusi Muumit on valtaisa hitti (New Moomin series is an enormous hit)". Helsingin Sanomat (in Finnish). 28 February 2019. Retrieved 2 March 2019.