Mooney M10 Cadet
|1970 Mooney M10|
|First flight||23 February 1968|
|Developed from||ERCO Ercoupe|
The Mooney M10 Cadet is a light airplane manufactured by the Mooney Aircraft Company in 1969 and 1970. The M10 is derived from the ERCO Ercoupe, the type certificates for which Mooney purchased from the Alon Corporation in 1967.
The M10 is similar to the Alon A2-A, and indeed a handful of "Mooney A2-As" were built in Kerrville in 1968 before changeover of Mooney's production line was completed. According to the FAA Type Certificate Data Sheet, the "Model 10 is similar to Model A2-A except for new design empennage, ailerons and fuel tank vent." The most obvious difference is that the M10 replaces the iconic Ercoupe-style dual vertical stabilizer with a tail designed to allow the airplane to spin. Changes to the ailerons, along with replacement of the A2-A's tail, were motivated by Mooney's intent to market the M10 as a trainer: student pilots receiving training in a non-spinnable airplane, as the Ercoupe was, were issued FAA pilot certificates carrying the restriction that they could only fly airplanes which were "characteristically incapable of spinning"; thus the spinnable tail was necessary to turn the A2-A into a general-purpose trainer. Given that they were replacing the tail, Mooney's engineers opted to give it the "backward" profile characteristic of the M20 series. Although the M10's empennage has the same silhouette as the "big Mooneys", it does not swivel the way the M20's does; the Cadet's tail is a conventional design with fixed horizontal stabilizer, hinged elevator, and trim tabs.
- Length: 20 ft 8 in (6.3 m)
- Wingspan: 30 ft 0 in (9.1 m)
- Height: 7 ft 8 in (2.3 m)
- Wing area: 142.6 ft2 (13.2 m2)
- Empty weight: 950 lb (431 kg)
- Useful load: 500 lb (227 kg)
- Loaded weight: 1450 lb (658 kg)
- Max. takeoff weight: 1450 lb (658 kg)
- Powerplant: 1 × 90hp Continental C-90-16F McCauley 1A105/SCM 7153, 90 hp (67.11 kW)
- Never exceed speed: 125 knots (144 mph, 232 km/h)
- Maximum speed: 103 knots (118 mph, 190 km/h)
- Cruise speed: 96 knots (111 mph, 179 km/h)
- Stall speed: 40 knots (46 mph, 74 km/h)
- Range: 484 nm (557 mi, 895 km)
- Service ceiling: 12500 ft (3810 m)
- Rate of climb: 835 ft/min (4.24 m/s)
- Wing loading: lb/ft2 (kg/m2)
- Power/mass: hp/lb (W/kg)
- "Mid-Atlantic Air Museum - ERCO/SANDERS 415-G "ERCOUPE" Virtual Tour". Retrieved 2007-01-30.
- "Mooney Model Chronology". Retrieved 2007-01-30.
- "Ercoupe models". Archived from the original on 2010-08-25. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
- "Type Certificate Data Sheet NO. A-787" (PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. 2005-07-14. Retrieved 2007-01-30.
- "Mooney M-10 Cadet Performance Information". Retrieved 2007-01-30.
- "Mooney". Retrieved 2007-01-30.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mooney M10.|