Moonie in a promotional photo for the film Legally Blonde
|Died||11 March 2016 (aged 18)|
Los Angeles, California, United States
|Notable role||Legally Blonde, Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde|
Moonie (1998 – March 11, 2016), also known as Moondoggie, was a canine actor. He was a Chihuahua best known for his role as Bruiser Woods in the films Legally Blonde and Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde, appearing alongside actress Reese Witherspoon. He lived with Gidget, another Chihuahua who was famous for her Taco Bell commercials.
In March 2016, Moonie died at the age of 18 (approximately 88 in human years).
Moonie was born in 1998. He was taken in as a puppy by Hollywood animal trainer Sue Chipperton, whose other dog Gidget had already made a name for herself as a mascot for the Taco Bell restaurant chain. Chipperton had learned that the producers of Legally Blonde were looking to cast a Chihuahua in the film, but Gidget's busy schedule ruled out the possibility of her auditioning for the role. Two other trainers had discovered Moonie, then a puppy, and suggested to Chipperton that she train and submit him for the role instead, given her experience and success working with Chihuahuas.
Moonie's breakout role was in 2001, when he appeared in the film Legally Blonde as Bruiser Woods, the canine companion of Elle Woods (portrayed by Witherspoon). In 2003, at the age of 5, he reprised his role as Bruiser in the film's sequel, Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde, in which Gidget portrayed Bruiser's mother.
Following the Legally Blonde movies, Moonie continued to book acting jobs. He appeared in a music video alongside the singer and actress Cher, starred in several commercials, and had guest roles in episodes of the television series Three Sisters and Providence.
Moonie retired from acting in 2014 at the age of 15.
On March 10, 2016, Moonie died in Los Angeles, CA at the age of 18. Chipperton broke the news of his death in an Instagram post that same day, and numerous major media outlets reported on his death.
- Chipperton, Sue; Dyball, Rennie (3 May 2011). A Famous Dog's Life: The Story of Gidget, America's Most Beloved Chihuahua. Penguin. ISBN 1101514264.
- "Bruiser (Legally Blonde)". Wolfstoria. 11 September 2015. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- Lentz, Harold M. III (11 August 2017). Obituaries in the Performing Arts, 2016. McFarland. ISBN 1476629129.
- "Chihuahua steals the show". The Sydney Morning Herald. Sydney, Australia. 15 July 2003. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Reese Witherspoon Honored On The Hollywood Walk Of Fame". Forbes. Hollywood, CA, USA. 1 December 2010. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- Newsome, John (11 March 2016). "Reese Witherspoon's dog in 'Legally Blonde' dies". CNN. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- Saad, Nardine (11 March 2016). "Reese Witherspoon mourns the death of Moonie, her canine costar in 'Legally Blonde'". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 16 March 2019.