Moorabbin railway station
Moorabbin station in 2017
Station Street, Moorabbin|
|Distance||18.45 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Platforms||3 (1 side, 1 island)|
|Structure type||Below ground|
|Fare zone||Myki Zone 2|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||19 December 1881|
Moorabbin railway station is located on the Frankston line, in Victoria, Australia. It serves the south-eastern Melbourne suburb of Moorabbin. Opening on 19 December 1881 as South Brighton, it was renamed Moorabbin on 1 May 1907.
In the morning peak hour, Frankston bound services use Platform 3, with Flinders Street bound trains using Platforms 1 and 2. At other times Frankston bound trains use Platform 2. Two morning peak hour services from Flinders Street terminate at Moorabbin and return to the city.
In 1959, the original station was relocated and placed in a deep cutting, coinciding with the construction of road overpasses for South Road and the Nepean Highway. At that time, provision was made for a third platform on the eastern side of the cutting. The third platform opened on 28 June 1987, when a third line from Caulfield was opened.
On 6 December 1994, a fire destroyed all shops in the concourse. The concourse was rebuilt and new shops were constructed. It was upgraded to a Premium station in 1998. The Station Street entrance and the bus interchange was re-built in 2014, as part of an upgrade program on the Frankston line.
Facilities, platforms & services
Moorabbin has three platforms, all of which are accessed from the concourse via a ramp. The concourse contains a ticket office, toilets and shops. It is serviced by Metro Trains' Frankston line services.
- Frankston line: morning peak all stations and limited stops services to Flinders Street
- Frankston line: all stations services to Frankston
Ventura Bus Lines operates five routes via Moorabbin station:
- 811: Dandenong station – Brighton
- 812: Dandenong station – Brighton
- 823: North Brighton station – Westfield Southland
- 824: to Parkmore Shopping Centre
- 825: to Westfield Southland
- Moorabbin Vicsig
- City of Kingston Heritage Study Stage 1 pages = 39, 42 City of Kingston
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. September 1987. p. 282.
- "Fire damages Moorabbin rail station". The Age. Fairfax News Store. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- "Upgrading Eltham to a Premium Station". Newsrail. Australian Railway Heritage Society. October 1997. p. 310.
- Frankston Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 811 Dandenong - Brighton timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 812 Dandenong - Brighton timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 823 North Brighton - Southland timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 824 Moorabbin - Keysborough timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 825 Moorabbin - Southland timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Melway map at street-directory.com.au