Moorook, South Australia
|Population||289 (2006 census)|
|Established||9 November 1922 (town)|
28 September 2000 (locality)
|LGA(s)||District Council of Loxton Waikerie|
Moorook is a town and locality in Australian state of South Australia. It is part of a series of towns surrounding lakes in the Riverland region in Australia. At the 2006 census, Moorook had a population of 289.
The town of Moorook was surveyed in April 1922 on the left bank of the Murray River where it flows north between Loxton and Kingston on Murray. Moorook is just downstream of Moorook Island and upstream of most of Moorook Game Reserve which surrounds and contains Wachtels Lagoon.
Moorook had earlier been one of the experimental Village Settlements. These were established by the South Australian government under Part VII of the Crown Lands Amendment Act 1893, in an attempt to mitigate the effects of the depression then affecting the Colony.
Hundred of Moorook
The Hundred of Moorook was proclaimed in 1893 to facilitate closer settlement of that part of the County of Albert. The Hundred extends from the Murray River on its northern and northeastern boundary south almost to the Stott Highway and town of Wunkar. it includes the towns of Kingston On Murray and Moorook as well as the localities of Wigley Flat, Yinkanie, Wappilka and most of Woolpunda. The Moorook railway line extended to service the hundred from 1925.
- "Search results for 'Moorook, LOCB' with the following datasets selected - 'Suburbs and localities', 'Counties', 'Hundreds', 'Local Government Areas', 'SA Government Regions' and 'Gazetteer'". Location SA Map Viewer. South Australian Government. Retrieved 24 January 2019.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "Moorook (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 11 October 2011.
- Barwell, H.N. (9 November 1922). "TOWN OF MOOROOK" (PDF). The South Australian overnment Gazette. Government of South Australia. p. 1043. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- Lawson, Robert (28 September 2000). "GEOGRAPHICAL NAMES ACT 1991 Notice to Assign Boundaries to Places (in the District Council of Loxton Waikerie)" (PDF). The South Australian Government Gazette. Government of South Australia. p. 2282. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- "Moorook South Australia". Travelmate. Retrieved 10 December 2009.
- "Placename Details: Moorook". Property Location Browser. Government of South Australia. 12 May 2011. SA0042811. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- "The Crown Lands Amendment Act, 1893 (SA )". Part VII. Retrieved 15 June 2016.
|This South Australia geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|