This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2009)
|Look up moratorium in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
A moratorium is a delay or suspension of an activity or a law. In a legal context, it may refer to the temporary suspension of a law to allow a legal challenge to be carried out.
For example, animal rights activists and conservation authorities may request fishing or hunting moratoria to protect endangered or threatened animal species. These delays, or suspensions, prevent people from hunting or fishing the animals in discussion.
Another instance is a delay of legal obligations or payment (debt moratorium). A legal official can order [clarification needed] due to extenuating circumstances, which render one party incapable of paying another.
- Justice delayed is justice denied
- 2010 U.S. Deepwater Drilling Moratorium
- Moratorium to End the War in Vietnam
- UN moratorium on the death penalty
- dictionary.com. "definition of moratorium". dictionary.com.
- Gilman, D. C.; Peck, H. T.; Colby, F. M., eds. (1905). . New International Encyclopedia (1st ed.). New York: Dodd, Mead.