|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2009)|
A moratorium is a delay or suspension of an activity or a law. In a legal context, it may refer to the temporary suspension of a law to allow a legal challenge to be carried out.
For example, animal rights activists and conservation authorities may request fishing or hunting moratoriums to protect endangered or threatened animal species. These delays, or suspensions, prevent people from hunting or fishing the animals in discussion.
- 2010 U.S. Deepwater Drilling Moratorium
- Moratorium to End the War in Vietnam
- UN moratorium on the death penalty
- dictionary.com. "definition of moratorium". dictionary.com.
- Gilman, D. C.; Thurston, H. T.; Colby, F. M., eds. (1905). "Moratorium". New International Encyclopedia (1st ed.). New York: Dodd, Mead.
|This legal term article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|