Mordhau (video game)
|Engine||Unreal Engine 4|
|Release||April 29, 2019|
|Genre(s)||Hack 'n slash|
Mordhau is a multiplayer medieval hack 'n slash video game, developed by Slovenian independent studio Triternion, with a prominent aspect of skill-based competitive play and customization. It features a combat system emphasizing hand-to-hand combat, loosely based on historical techniques such as feints, redirection, and alternative use of weapons. Other features include ranged weapons, siege engines and mounted combat. The game was released on April 29, 2019 on Steam.
The game was built using Unreal Engine 4.
Marko Grgurovič, a Slovene PhD student of computer science at the University of Primorska, began development of Mordhau alone. He was later joined by another Slovene developer and an international team of 8 other programmers, graphic designers, and animators, founding the company Triternion, and producing first versions. In March 2017, the company launched the Kickstarter campaign to raise funds for development, which achieved its basic goal in less than 24 hours. The game was finally released on 29 April 2019.
Mordhau became an immediate success, selling 200,000 copies in less than a week, then exceeding 500,000 copies sold by 7 May. It reached the top of the Steam sales charts. Triternion apologized after its servers couldn't sustain the massive influx of players.
- Plunkett, Luke (March 29, 2016). "Mordhau is the latest attempt to try and get first-person melee controls working properly in a video game". kotaku.com. Retrieved January 24, 2017.
- Link, Andreas (December 21, 2015). "Mordhau: Mittelalterlicher Ego-Slasher mit Schwertkampf-Simulation". pcgameshardware.de. Retrieved January 24, 2017.
- Schmidt, Dieter (December 21, 2015). "Mordhau: Erste Spielszenen des mittelalterlichen Kampfspiels". 4players.de. Retrieved January 24, 2017.
- Gach, Ethan (2019-04-30). "Mordhau Is A Clunky Game For Swordplay Nerds That I Can't Put Down". Kotaku. Retrieved 2019-05-04.
- "Mordhau Windows game - Indie DB". Indie DB. 3 April 2017. Archived from the original on 2 Feb 2017. Retrieved 18 Oct 2017.
- Tomšič, Matic (2019-05-02). "Izjemen uspeh Slovenca: postal je glavni v največji trgovini na svetu" [Exceptional success of a Slovene: he became chief in the largest market on the planet]. Siol.net (in Slovenian). Retrieved 2019-05-04.
- Boudreau, Ian (2019-05-07). "Mordhau has sold 500,000 copies in its first week". PC Gamer. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- Wales, Matt (2019-05-02). "Developer of Medieval multiplayer melee slasher Mordhau apologises after unexpectedly strong launch hobbles servers". Eurogamer. Retrieved 2019-05-04.