Mordheim: City of the Damned
|Mordheim: City of the Damned|
|Publisher(s)||Focus Home Interactive|
|Genre(s)||Tactical role-playing game|
Mordheim: City of the Damned is a tactical role-playing game video game developed by Rogue Factor, a branch of Cyanide, for Microsoft Windows and published by Focus Home Interactive on November 19, 2015. The game is based on Games Workshop's 1999 tabletop game Mordheim. The game was released on Steam Early Access in November 2014, prior to its full release. The game was later ported to Xbox One and PlayStation 4, for which it was released on 18 October 2016.
Two expansions were later released, each adding a new faction: the Witch Hunters in June 2016 and the Undead in October. These expansions were also released as a part of the "Complete DLC Pack".
Mordheim: City of the Damned is based on the Mordheim tabletop game, which is a skirmish-oriented derivative of the larger Warhammer Fantasy wargames. Accordingly, the video game puts the player in control of a small warband that fights rival teams over resources around the titular city of Mordheim. At the start of the game, the player chooses a faction (Sisters of Sigmar, Mercenaries from the Empire, Skaven, or the Cult of the Possessed in the base game) and over the course of the game, is given to opportunity to improve their warband's strength by recruiting, leveling, improving and customizing a roster of combatants as well as their equipment. Losing battles can lead to permanent injuries or even death of the members of the player's warband, so the emphasis is on careful engagements and survival.
In addition to a single-player campaign, players can pit their warbands against other players online.
The game received mixed reviews, gaining an average score of 74/100 on Metacritic. Some reviewers praised the "pleasantly morbid" atmosphere and deep game mechanics as befitting the tabletop original, but the game AI, steep and unforgiving learning curve, and technical issues (particularly user interface and load times) were described as frustrating.
- "Mordheim: City of the Damned". Steam. Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- Smith, Adam (November 27, 2014). "Impressions: Mordheim Early Access". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved January 24, 2016.
- "Mordheim: City of the Damned". IGN. Retrieved 2017-06-06.
- O'Connor, Alice (2016-06-23). "Mordheim: City Of The Damned Adds Witch Hunters". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved 2017-06-26.
- Miller, Daniel R. (2016-12-11). "Mordheim: City of the Damned brings its Undead DLC to Xbox One and PS4". Gamezone. Retrieved 2017-06-26.
- "Buy Mordheim: City of the Damned - Complete DLC Pack". Microsoft Store. Retrieved 2019-04-10.
- Dean, Paul (8 December 2015). "Wot I Think: Mordheim – City Of The Damned". Rock Paper Shotgun. Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- "Mordheim: City of the Damned for PC Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- "Mordheim: City of the Damned for PlayStation 4 Reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 14 February 2019.
- "Test : Mordheim : City of the Damned - Mourir, c'est pas facile !" [Mordheim : City of the Damned - Dying is not easy!]. Jeuxvideo.com (in French). Webedia. 3 December 2015. Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- Dumitrescu, Andrei (23 November 2015). "Mordheim: City of the Damned Review". Softpedia. Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- Di Claudio Chianese (7 December 2015). "UNA LAMA NELL'OSCURITÀ" [A knife in the dark]. IGN Italia (in Italian). Ziff Davis. Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- Jose Manuel Bringas (23 November 2015). "Pasando turno" [Passing time]. IGN Spain (in Spanish). Ziff Davis. Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- Steighner, Mark (29 November 2015). "Review: Mordheim: City of the Damned". Hardcore Gamer. Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- Von Adam Blaszczyk (2 December 2015). "Mordsspaß mit Hindernissen" [Blast with obstacles]. GameStar (in German). Webedia. Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- Monroe, Nick (20 November 2015). "Mordheim - City of the Damned Review - Never Fight Alone". The Escapist. Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- Milliken, Colin. "Murderlord Will Be Happy-Pleased". RPGamer. Retrieved 2017-06-07.