Morenci, about 1910
Location in Greenlee County and the state of Arizona
|• Total||0.98 sq mi (2.55 km2)|
|• Land||0.96 sq mi (2.49 km2)|
|• Water||0.02 sq mi (0.06 km2)|
|Elevation||4,747 ft (1,447 m)|
|Time zone||MST (no DST) (UTC-7)|
|GNIS feature ID||0032021|
Morenci is a census-designated place (CDP) and company town in Greenlee County, Arizona, United States, and was founded by the Detroit Copper Mining Company of Arizona. The population was 1,879 at the 2000 census and 1,489 at the 2010 census. The biggest employer in Morenci (and in nearby Clifton) and the owner of the town is Freeport-McMoRan, the owner of the Morenci Mine, the largest copper mining operation in North America, and one of the largest copper mines in the world. The town was a site of the Arizona Copper Mine Strike of 1983. The large open-pit mine is north of the town.
Morenci is located in central Greenlee County at  It lies on the western border of the town of Clifton, the county seat. U.S. Route 191 (the Coronado Trail) passes through the northern part of the community, leading east and downhill into Clifton and north through the Apache National Forest 117 miles (188 km) to Eagar.(33.049804, -109.327856).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the Morenci CDP has a total area of 0.98 square miles (2.55 km2), of which 0.96 square miles (2.49 km2) is land and 0.02 square miles (0.06 km2), or 2.23%, is water.
This region experiences warm (but not hot) and dry summers, with no average monthly temperatures above 71.6 °F. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Morenci has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated "Csb" on climate maps.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,879 people, 672 households, and 454 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 2,317.4 people per square mile (895.7/km²). There were 754 housing units at an average density of 929.9 per square mile (359.4/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 67.96% White, 0.48% Black or African American, 2.13% Native American, 0.53% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 24.91% from other races, and 3.94% from two or more races. 44.54% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 672 households out of which 45.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.7% were married couples living together, 6.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.3% were non-families. 30.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 0.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.80 and the average family size was 3.55.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 35.6% under the age of 18, 7.2% from 18 to 24, 34.4% from 25 to 44, 22.1% from 45 to 64, and 0.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 30 years. For every 100 females, there were 119.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 128.7 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $46,010, and the median income for a family was $54,583. Males had a median income of $41,875 versus $26,063 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $18,695. About 2.7% of families and 3.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.9% of those under age 18 and none of those age 65 or over.
The economy of Morenci as well as that of the surrounding area is almost completely dependent on the Morenci Mine. Between 2003 and 2008, the worldwide rise in copper prices led the mine to double its work force to 4,000 employees and increase production by 55 percent to an average of one million tons of ore per day.
One of the active pits at the Morenci Mine. The horizontal shelves are the mining benches. The fan-like slopes are leached material, dumped into mined-out portions of the pit.
Azurite from Morenci
- Ettore DeGrazia, Southwestern Impressionist painter
- Conger, W.C., 1987, History of the Clifton-Morenci District, in History of Mining in Arizona, vol. 1. Full text: 
- The Morenci Marines: A Tale of Small Town America and the Vietnam War (Modern War Studies); by Kyle Longley (Author); ISBN 0700619348; Publisher: University Press of Kansas; ASIN: B00RKX07XU.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jul 18, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 (Morenci CDP, Arizona)". American Fact Finder. United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2016-11-08.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Morenci, Arizona
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Rudolf, John Collin. "Copper's Every Dip Is Felt in Arizona." New York Times. November 27, 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Morenci Mine.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Morenci (Arizona).|