Morgan Township, Scioto County, Ohio
|Morgan Township, Scioto County, Ohio|
Township fire department
Location of Morgan Township in Scioto County
|• Total||30.1 sq mi (78.1 km2)|
|• Land||29.9 sq mi (77.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.7 km2)|
|Elevation||636 ft (194 m)|
|• Density||84/sq mi (32/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086929|
Located in the northwestern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Camp Creek Township, Pike County - north
- Scioto Township, Pike County - northeast corner
- Valley Township - east
- Rush Township - south
- Union Township - southwest
- Brush Creek Township - west
- Rarden Township - northwest
No municipalities are located in Morgan Township.
Name and history
Morgan Township was organized in June 1825.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Morgan township, Scioto County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 30, 2012.
- "Portsmouth Area Resource Guide, 2007-2008". The Community Common. 2007-07-29. p. 6.
- Bannon, Henry Towne (1927). Stories Old and Often Told, Being Chronicles of Scioto County, Ohio. Baltimore: Waverly Press. p. 274.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.