Morgantown High School
|Morgantown High School|
|109 Wilson Avenue
Morgantown, WV 26501
|Color(s)||Red and blue|
|Website||Official school website|
Morgantown High School is a high school located in Morgantown, West Virginia. The institution has existed since 1883 while operating on its current campus since 1927. Students largely come from one of the three feeder schools, South Middle School, Suncrest Middle School and St. Francis de Sales Central Catholic. It is the home of the Mohigans, the name of a non-existent Native American tribe whose name is a combination of the words Morgantown (MO) High (HIG) Annual (AN), the school's original yearbook. The Native American mascot and logo were adopted because of the close relation to the name Mohican, an actual Native American tribe. As of 2008, it has an enrollment of 1,734 students. Among the school's student activities are over 20 varsity sports. Morgantown High offers 23 Advanced Placement classes.
According to U.S. News & World Report, MHS is the number-two high school in West Virginia and number 1088 nationally. The school was also awarded a Silver Medal.
The Morgantown High School Red & Blue Marching Band performed in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in November 2009, the 2013 Tournament of Roses parade in Pasadena, California, and the 2014 National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade in Washington, D.C. It will also be representing West Virginia in the 75th Anniversary Commemoration Parade of Pearl Harbor in December 2016 in Honolulu, Hawaii.
- Ralph Albertazzie, former Air Force One pilot
- Carey Bailey, football coach
- Thomas W. Bennett, conscientious objector and Medal of Honor Recipient
- Terry Bowden, football coach
- Tommy Bowden, football coach
- Wes Bush, chairman, chief executive officer and president, Northrop Grumman Corporation
- Emily Calandrelli, science TV host on Xploration Station and Bill Nye Saves the World
- Chaim Gingold, game designer
- Jay Jacobs, color analyst on MSNsportsNET.com
- Lawrence Kasdan, film producer, director, screenwriter
- Don Knotts, actor
- Chelsea Malone, singer and Miss West Virginia 2015
- David Newbold, comic book artist
- Elliott Portnoy, attorney and chief executive of the law firm SNR Denton
- David Selby, actor
- Michael Tomasky, journalist, author, editor in chief of Democracy quarterly journal
- Charles M. Vest, former president of MIT
- "Morgantown High School - Mohigan Facts - The Mohigan". Archived from the original on 2006-10-13. Retrieved 2006-12-15.
- "U.S. News & World Report".