April 2, 1951|
|Native name||植芝 守央 Ueshiba Moriteru|
|Teacher(s)||Kisshomaru Ueshiba, Morihei Ueshiba|
Moriteru Ueshiba (植芝 守央 Ueshiba Moriteru, born April 2, 1951) is a Japanese master of aikido. He is a grandson of Morihei Ueshiba, founder of aikido, and son of Kisshomaru Ueshiba. Ueshiba is the third and current Doshu (hereditary head) of the Aikikai.
Ueshiba was born on April 2, 1951, in Tokyo, Japan. Recalling his childhood during a 2004 interview, he said, "The first time I wore an Aikido uniform I was in the first grade of elementary school. But my family didn’t force me to do keiko (training) then, I just did it when I felt like it. I started training seriously in my high school years. My intention then was to become a successor to my father, and to preserve Kaiso’s [Morihei Ueshiba's] legacy for the future."
In 1976, Ueshiba graduated from Meiji Gakuin University with a degree in economics. In 1996, he assumed the position of Dojocho (director/owner) of Aikikai Hombu Dojo. In 1997, he visited Ireland. He assumed the title of Doshu on January 4, 1999, following the death of his father, Kisshomaru Ueshiba. In January 2006, as part of Aiki-Kai Australia's 40th anniversary, Ueshiba visited and taught in Australia.
Ueshiba wrote the books Best Aikido: The fundamentals (2002, co-authored with his father Kisshomaru Ueshiba), The Aikido master course: Best Aikido 2 (2003), and Progressive Aikido: The essential elements (2005).
- Pranin, S. A. (c. 2009): The Encyclopedia of Aikido: Ueshiba, Moriteru Archived 2011-05-14 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on February 28, 2010.
- Aikikai Foundation: Doshu chronology Archived 2009-10-01 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved on February 28, 2010.
- Kitaura, Y. (2004): Interview with Doshu The Kiai, 10(1):1–2.
- Irish Aikido Federation: Ireland Aikikai Retrieved on March 11, 2010.
- Aikido Australia: 40th Anniversary issue Archived 2009-09-13 at the Wayback Machine. (2006). Retrieved on March 14, 2010.
- Ueshiba, K., & Ueshiba, M. (2002): Best Aikido: The fundamentals. Tokyo: Kodansha. (ISBN 978-4-7700-2762-7)
- Ueshiba, M. (2003): The Aikido master course: Best Aikido 2. Tokyo: Kodansha. (ISBN 978-4-7700-2763-4)
- Ueshiba, M. (2005): Progressive Aikido: The essential elements. Kodansha. (ISBN 978-4-7700-2172-4)
| Dōshu of Aikikai
January 4, 1999 – present
| Dōjōchō of Aikikai Hombu Dōjō
1986 – present