This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Moritz Neumüller (born 1972) is a curator, educator and writer in the field of photography and new media.
Life and work
Neumüller was born in Linz, Austria. He holds a master's degree in Art History and a PhD degree in Information Management and has worked for several international art institutions, such as the Museum of Modern Art in New York, PHotoEspaña in Madrid and LOOP in Barcelona. Neumüller is Curatorial Advisor for PhotoIreland in Dublin, and Director of the Department of Photography at the Istituto di Design (IED), in Madrid.
As a curator, Moritz is interested in contemporary work made by photographers and media artists from around the world, especially documentary, social and conceptual work. His publications include El otro lado del alma (2005), Bernd & Hilla Becher Speak with Moritz Neumüller (2005), All Inclusive. New Spanish Photography (2007), To Have & To Lose by Mireia Sallarès (2008), Martin Parr's Best Books of the Decade (2011) and the catalogue for the Daegu Biennale in Korea (2014).
Neumüller is a regular contributor to European Photography Magazine and on the editorial board of the encyclopaedia project The European History of Photography. He is a member of the curatorial associations Oracle and IKT, and runs an online resource for visual artists, called The Curator Ship, since 2010.
Neumüller has conducted curatorial projects on and with Bernd and Hilla Becher, Ricardo Cases, Yamamoto Masao, Edmund Clark, Cristina de Middel, Martin Parr, Stephen Gill, Chris Jordan, Dinu Li, Gabriel Orozco, Mireia Sallarès, Oliver Sieber & Katja Stuke, Alejandro Castellote, Horacio Fernández, and Rosina Cazali.
His current projects include the Photobook Week Aarhus, a Routledge Companion on Photography and Visual Culture, and the exhibition Photobook Phenomenon for the CCCB center in Barcelona.
- 3D Printing for Cultural Heritage: Preservation, Accessibility, Research and Education (with A. Reichinger, F. Rist y Ch. Kern), 3D Research Challenges in Cultural Heritage, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2014, pp. 119–134.
- Thomas Seelig, Urs Stahel (eds.). The Ecstasy of Things, Fotomus. Winterthur & Steidl, 2004
- El Otro Lado Del Alma. Syncretisms in Contemporary Cuban Photography. Zurich: Edition Oehrli, 2005
- Bernd & Hilla Becher hablan con Moritz Neumüller. Conversaciones con Fotógrafos = Bernd & Hilla Becher Speak with Moritz Neumüller. Conversations with Photographers. Madrid: La Fábrica Ediciones / Fundación Telefónica, 2005
- Import/Export. Un diálogo fotográfico, Centro Cultural de España, Guatemala, 2006
- Chris Jordan. In Katrina’s Wake, in: Naturaleza, Catálogo de PHotoEspaña 2006, La Fábrica Ediciones, Madrid, 2006, pp 134–137.
- All Inclusive. New Spanish Photography, Lodz Photography Festival, Poland, 2007
- Metropolis. With Joan Villaplana y Jacobo Zabalo, Editorial Laboral, Barcelona, 2008
- Festivalzeit – Medienzeit, in: Monat der Fotografie, Festival Catalogue Wien, 2008, 10-14
- To Have & To Lose. Three projects by Mireia Sallarès, Galleri Image, Aarhus, Dinamarca, 2008 (Reeditado como MIEC & STRACIC, Lodz, Poland, 2009)
- Raum_Körper Einsatz, e-book in DAISY Format, Museum auf Abruf and ArteConTacto, Vienna 2010.
- Kleinbürger. New Photography and Video Art from Austria, in: Festival Catalogue, Pingyao, 2010, 92-93
- Collaborative Changes. PhotoIreland Catalogue, Dublín 2011
- Martin Parr's Best Books of the Decade. Dublin: PhotoIreland, 2011. Edited by Neumüller and Angel Luis Gonzalez.
- On Migration. PhotoIreland Catalogue, Dublín 2012
- Private Faces Public. Exhibition Catalogue, IED / PHotoEspaña, Madrid 2013
- New Irish Works. PhotoIreland Catalogue, Dublín 2013
- Conversation with Lukas Wassmann, in: FOAM Magazine, September 2014, pp. 257–296
- Roc Herms, YO YO YO (editor), Barcelona 2014
- Marta Mantyka, Hashtag (editor), Warsaw, 2015
- Photobook Phenomenon. Munich: Prestel; CCCB/RM/Fundació Foto Colectania, 2017. A box set of eight booklets of writing, one each by Neumüller and Lesley Martin ("Photobook Phenomenon"), Markus Schaden and Frederic Lezmi, Martin Parr, Horacio Fernández, Ryuichi Kaneko, Gerry Badger, Erik Kessels, and Irene de Mendoza and Neumüller ("Contemporary Practices"). ISBN 978-8417047054.
- Hunter, Dorothy (September 2012). "PhotoIreland 2012 / Interview with curator Moritz Neumüller". PhotoMonitor. Retrieved 14 September 2016.
- "Photobook Phenomenon". Retrieved 14 August 2017.