|Founded||1 October 1897|
Number of locations
|8 stores (2014)|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||Morley's of Bicester Ltd|
Morleys Stores is a group of eight department stores in Greater London, a business-to-business furniture supply subsidiary called Morley’s of Bicester Ltd and a department store & furniture centre called Camp Hopson of Newbury in Newbury, Berkshire. The group is named after the original store that opened in Brixton, south London as Morley & Lanceley.
In the year to January 2014 group profit was 5.6 million on turnover was £90.6 million. Note that it is unrelated to the London fast foods restaurant chain.
Morleys is a member of the Solihull-based Associated Independent Stores buying group, the supplier of non-food goods to 350 companies with about 600 small and medium-sized independent outlets with textile and other non-food goods.
The Brixton Road shop originally traded as Morley & Lanceley. In 2009 Morleys bought Roomes Fashion and Home in Upminster and in 2010 it bought the Pearsons stores in Enfield and Bishop's Stortford. Smith Bros in Tooting was rebranded Morleys on 1 November 2010 and the Pearsons store in Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire closed during 2012.
In November 2014, Morley's purchased Camp Hopson of Newbury which consists of a department store and furniture centre.
List of stores
The seven department stores, all located within Greater London, are:
|Roomes Fashion and Home||Upminster||www
Morley's of Bicester
In 1929 the Brixton store started selling contract furniture, eventually expanding and moving to Bicester. It acquired the similar businesses of Duncan Roberts Ltd in 2002 and Principal Furniture Ltd in 2005.
Camp Hopson of Newbury
In 1854 Joseph Hopson opened a furniture business on West Street, Newbury. In 1886, Alfred Camp opened a drapery bazaar on Northbrook Street. The business ran as sperate entities until 1920, when Paul Hopson, gransdon of Joseph, married the daughter of Alfred, Norah, and the companies were merged to form Camp Hopson.
- Morleys Stores Limited in Profile
- Morleys Stores Ltd
- Morleys Stores Limited, Company report quoted by Worksmart, TUC, London, Undated. Retrieved 8 November 2012.
- AIS - A partnership for profit, Corporate website, undated.Retrieved 8 November 2012.
- London department store group targets Roomes of Upminster acquisition, The Furnishing Report, Letchworth Hertfordshire, 1 June 2009. Retrieved 8 November 2012.
- Morleys acquires Pearsons department stores, 9 November 2010. Retrieved 8 November 2012.
- Pearsons confirm closure of Bishop's Stortford store | Bishop's Stortford news
- Camp Hopson of Newbury has been sold | Newbury Weekly News
- Morley's of Bicester Ltd
- "Camp Hopson of Newbury has been sold - newburytoday.co.uk 4/11/14". Retrieved 5 Nov 2014.