Morning Sun, Ohio
|Morning Sun, Ohio|
|Elevation||997 ft (304 m)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1065864|
Morning Sun is an unincorporated community in southeastern Israel Township, Preble County, Ohio, United States. It is located approximately 3.5 miles (5.6 km) south of Fairhaven at the intersection of State Routes 177 and 732 with Morning Sun Road, just north of Hueston Woods State Park. The community is part of the Dayton Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Morning Sun was platted in 1833. According to tradition, a sunrise which occurred at the time the first settlers were thinking of a suitable name caused this name to be selected. A post office was established at Morning Sun in 1836, and remained in operation until 1948.
Rolla Roy Ramsey, an Indiana University Physics Professor and radio electronics pioneer, was born in Morning Sun in 1872.
- "Morning Sun, Ohio". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- Morning Sun, Ohio to Fairhaven, Ohio - Google Maps
- History of Preble County, Ohio, with illustrations and biographical sketches. H. Z. Williams & Bro. 1881. p. 238.
- Overman, William Daniel (1958). Ohio Town Names. Akron, OH: Atlantic Press. p. 91.
- "Preble County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- Database-Richard Elihu Sloan
|This Preble County, Ohio state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|