Moroccans in Italy
|420,650 ~0.71% of total population|
|Regions with significant populations|
|Lombardy · Piedmont · Emilia-Romagna|
|Arabic (Moroccan Arabic), Berber and Italian|
|mainly Sunni Islam but also Christianity, Judaism, Irreligious and Atheism|
There is a large population of Moroccans in Italy. According to Italy's 2016 census, 420,650 Italians (0.71% of total population) are foreign people with Moroccan nationality, ethnic-Moroccans are estimated at 675,000, that is 1,1% the population of Italy. Moroccans continue to be the third largest non-indigenous minority ethnic group in Italy after Romanians and Albanians.
Radicalization and deportations
Moroccans constitute the largest group of those deported by Italian authorities for jihadist extremism, with 110 deportees having been expulsed by December 2018. Deportees are issued with a prohibition order to return for a period of five years and the prohibition also applies to the entire Schengen Area.
In January 2019, Italian authorities deported a 37-year-old Moroccan man due to him constituting a threat to national security. The man was an illegal immigrant in Italy for 22 years, had a lengthy criminal record and while in jail was in the process of becoming radicalized.
Based on Demo Istat statistics.
- Mostafa Errebbah (1971), long-distance runner
- Nadia Ejjafini (1977), long-distance runner
- Khalid Chaouki (1983), politician
- Malika Ayane (1984), singer
- Jonis Khoris (1989), footballer
- Yonese Hanine (1990), footballer
- Adam Masina (1994), footballer
- Hachim Mastour (1998), footballer
- ispisito (2018-12-14). "The measure of expulsions for extremism". ISPI. Retrieved 2018-12-21.
- "A rischio radicalizzazione, espulso - Ultima Ora". ANSA.it (in Italian). 2019-01-07. Retrieved 2019-01-12.
- "Cittadini Marocchini in Italia - 2017". Tuttitalia.it. Retrieved 10 January 2018.
- Salih, Ruba (2002), "Shifting Meanings of 'Home': Consumption and identity in Moroccan women's transnational practices between Italy and Morocco", in Al-Ali, Nadje Sadig; Koser, Khalid, New approaches to migration?: transnational communities and the transformation of home, Transnationalism, 3, Routledge, pp. 51–67, ISBN 978-0-415-25432-8
- Blangiardo, Giam Carlo (July 2003), "Rapport sur l'immigration en Italie et notamment sur les ressortissants marocains", in Kabbaj, Khadija, Marocains de l'Extérieur (PDF), Rabat: Fondation Hassan II pour les Marocains Résidant à l'Etranger, pp. 269–285, ISBN 9954-400-19-2, archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-05-06