|Native name||Cuenca de Morongo (Spanish)[disputed ]|
|Location||San Bernardino County|
The Morongo basin is part of the Inland Empire region, and is considered to be the easternmost portion of the Greater Los Angeles Area, the 2nd largest metropolitan region in the United States.
The drainage basin stretches approximately from the Little San Bernardino Mountains north of Interstate 10 in the south, to the Interstate 40 area in the north. Lying within the Mojave Desert, the Morongo Basin is east of the city of San Bernardino and San Bernardino Mountains, and north of the Coachella Valley and Colorado Desert.
The Morongo Basin is located within the Mojave Desert and in the High Desert region of Southern California. The area's elevation can range from 1,950 feet (590 m) in Twentynine Palms, to 3,000 feet (910 m) in Yucca Valley. The higher sections of Joshua Tree National Park are within the basin.
Cities and Communities
- Joshua Tree
- Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Twentynine Palms
- Wonder Valley
The climate is arid desert. Hot, dry summers; cool winters with cold mornings and occasional snow and rain showers. Snow falls in areas above 1,500 feet (460 m) in elevation.
|Twenty Nine Palms: Monthly Normal High and Low Temperatures|
|Avg high °F||64||69||75||83||91||101||106||104||97||86||72||54|
|Avg low °F||36||39||43||49||57||65||71||80||64||52||41||35|
- Joshua Tree National Park supports most of the tourism to the Morongo Basin and Morongo Valley.
- Sand to Snow National Monument surrounds the Morongo Valley on all sides.
- Pioneertown Mountains Preserve
- The Pacific Crest Trail passing through it and the San Gorgonio Wilderness area of the San Bernardino National Forest, between the peak and Morongo Basin.
- Mount San Gorgonio rising above the basin on the west, the highest point in Southern California.
The Morongo Basin is home to the Morongo Unified School District, which serves all of the cities and communities in the area. Copper Mountain College is the only community college serving the Morongo Basin area, located in Joshua Tree.
- Morongo Basin Transit Authority
- Morongo desert snail
- Mount San Gorgonio
- Natural history of the Mojave Desert
- Mojave and Colorado Deserts Biosphere Reserve
- "Average Weather for Twentynine Palms, CA - Temperature and Precipitation". The Weather Channel. Retrieved 2009-12-06.